Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i JUST purchased my scion tC today. Totally thrilled considering i currently own a crappy 91 civic sedan. since the tC is not a a piece of junk like my old car, i've got a few questions.

is it worth the money to buy the security system?

and

What are the spec of the security system?

my current situ:
i live in a good neighborhood with garage parking and i'm pretty sure it won't get broken into at work. its just everywhere else. thanks!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
hey, welcome to the site

A good security system is always a good idea, but it's mostly a deterrent for the amateur. If someone wants your car, or something in it, bad enough, they'll get it. I'm still unclear about what comes standard & what comes w/ the security option, but I'll be looking into it more. However, I'll probably still opt to go w/ a Clifford G4 system like I have now. And as for the best deterrent, nothing beats that flashing red light on the dash

·
Registered
502 Posts
When I saw a tC at a dealer, the key the salesperson was using had the unlock, lock, and panic buttons attatched to the key. On the Scion website under accesories, I clicked the security accessory and the key came up. Is that key with the buttons on it only for the security system or does it come standard?

·
Registered
44 Posts
the lock unlock and panic buttons come standard............IMO dont go with the security system its too expensive and.......it sucks.......my friend can disable any toyota alarm systems w/ a screwdriver in 2 seconds..... jus go aftermarket alarms like clifford or viper........they would work better than the stock alarm system and have more features

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah, just like 808Tc said,

Don't go w/ the stock securety system. it's overly expencive and dose not have as many featurse as a Cliford Matrix or Viper system would give you w/ just a little bit more $$$$

oh, and this has been up on the NemTiburon.com site for a wile. and it is the sorce matirial that i will be useing when i design my securety system.

here is the link... http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2260 i may just cut&copy this and post it as a new thred. ......

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
thanks mandrek, those were good tips.

·
Registered
48 Posts
no prob ....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont know if this is stock or part of the Security upgrade, but I was informed that you can only use the spare key 21 times before the car stops responding to it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Uhh...so if that's true on the standard tC, what do you do if you lose your main key and have to use your spare for awhile?

How hard is it to get a replacement key that wouldn't count towards the "21 uses"? Not sure I like that idea...I'm not too good at keeping up with my keys. I might "misplace" them somewhere in my house for a day or two and have to use a spare.

·
Registered
290 Posts
has anybody confirmed the "21"uses?

i also think an aftermarket security system is better.

I am raising the dead tonight

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
It's hogwash.

Aftermarket is only better if you want a feature not offered by Scion. No alarm really stops a determined thief and any alarm gets you an insurance discount. That's where the money is unless you can't live without some other feature like remote start (I couldn't care less).

·
Registered
385 Posts
It all depends... the stock security simply has outer sensors (as i hear) but window breaking sensors i hear are not there, so you are better off with an after market. In my case i have really good insurance, so i dont have any security system, simply if i lose anything i have it covered, or any window/ body damage. So depending on ur insurance policy, and how paranoid u get with stuff in your car, then id even put one, and if i did i would go after market not toyota's. Since security system only attract attention and dont really prevent, its an item, that i would wanna spend less on so aftermarket will be cheaper then like toyota same with installation get it done at an audio/video shop that does it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Theft deterrent is just that... a deterrence. That's it. IF it was going to get stolen a security system is nothing.

You want protection to get your car back? Nothing beats Lojack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts