Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, shame on me for buying an automatic. But driving a stick in traffic kills. But sometimes I get the urge to shift and so I shift my automatic like a manual alot. So I wonder is that bad for the car?

PS: Giving a second chance I would have baught a stick. But damn, my dumbass has to listen to my head instead of my heart.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i wouldn't reccomend it....it overheats the tranny fluid in the auto and can do serious damage, your just better off keeping it in D, you will save your tranny that way do a search its been discussoed..

oh btw welcome to the site !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by tCondor@Aug 14 2005, 02:11 AM
First off, shame on me for buying an automatic. But driving a stick in traffic kills.
People told me the same thing before I got a stick shift few years ago. After getting used to stick shift, I tend to disagree with this statement.

I find the fact that an auto always trying to move forward even in traffic is pretty annoying. I find shifting is easier than pressing the brake pedal so hard. To ease the brake pressure, sometimes I shift my auto into neutral, then shift back to drive when traffic moves.

That, or get a stick. And I find stick shift much easier to deal with, and wayyyyyy more fun

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I was stuck in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic yesterday for an hour and a half, with my manual. I was in a line waiting to get into a state fair. It did get a little annoying after about an hour, but still wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Heh. 2 hours in traffic yesterday (our DOT genuises closed 4 out of 5 lanes on our "beltway" highway). Can't say it would have been any less annoying in an auto - with stick you have to push clutch, with auto you have to push brake, and no I'm not going back to slushbox world. Ever.

·
Registered
868 Posts
No no no.. It's lots of fun when you're stuck on a gigantic hill with a standard in bumper to bumper traffic because this state feels the need to re-re-re-fix EVERY DAMN ROAD

But yeah, sometimes it gets annoying driving a standard, but I could never deal with an always-creeping-no-responsive-no-thrills automatic ever again.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by tCondor@Aug 14 2005, 02:11 AM
First off, shame on me for buying an automatic. But driving a stick in traffic kills. But sometimes I get the urge to shift and so I shift my automatic like a manual alot. So I wonder is that bad for the car?

PS: Giving a second chance I would have baught a stick. But damn, my dumbass has to listen to my head instead of my heart.
I apologize in advance if this sounds stupid, but how do you shift an automatic like a manual??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys just make me feel even worst about getting my automatic. I only have the car for a month now. If I do a trade in, I lose so much money. Damn. What a big mistake on my part.

·
Registered
243 Posts
personally i like my auto, i dont know why everyone hates it. after paper was invented, people didnt complain about how much more personality those old slabs of stone had.
the tc is my daily driver, i don't want this car to be my awesome sports car. it'll be convienient on long trips when i want to rest, and the other person can drive, instead of saying they don't know how to control a stick.

btw: it is bad to drive it like a manual. also if you wished for a sportronic or automanual or paddle shift or whatever you call it, don't worry your not missing much, i tried it on an acura tl and it sucked.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Aug 14 2005, 09:33 AM
No no no.. It's lots of fun when you're stuck on a gigantic hill with a standard in bumper to bumper traffic...

but I could never deal with an always-creeping-no-responsive-no-thrills automatic ever again.
Living in Brooklyn, going into Manhttan or Queens I have to drive up this huge hill where 4 lanes of cars and trailers combine into 2 (because trailers don't want to pay to get into tunnel, which is always empty, terrible planning on the stupid MTA's part). So I know exactly how it is.

I don't really understand the fuss over traffic and standard shift. If you get it (or got used to it), it shouldn't really be annoying.

Unless, of course, you live in San Francisco. Now those hills are annoying as heck, even if you are driving an automatic.

Once I was driving my parents' corrola and it was raining, even though it was on drive the hill was so steep it was enough to pull the car backward. I intentionally let the car get pulled then I stepped on the gas to create some wheel spin. It was stupid but I had to do it.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
first off, welcome to the site. I hope you find it useful and you have a good time learning and posting and what-not. Hit me up if you have any trouble or if you need to learn how to post pictures and stuff.

Originally posted by tCondor@Aug 14 2005, 06:17 PM
You guys just make me feel even worst about getting my automatic.  I only have the car for a month now.  If I do a trade in, I lose so much money.  Damn.  What a big mistake on my part.   
Now, about the automatic vs. manual thing.

Don't think that way. you buy what you want to buy. if you want an automatic, good for you. Just because all kinds of people hate on it doesn't make it right for you.
here is a good thread to look at.

now to answer your question. I can't say for sure but, I know this has been discussed on some other thread. you might want to search around for a minute and see if there is something that may answer your questions.

here are some threads that may help you get started.

·
Registered
48 Posts
theres nothing wrong with having an auto. sure you cant downshift and maybe you dont put as much power to the ground, but an auto can be good for alot of reasons
i have an auto in my truck and i love it, i can bring it up to about 8-10psi before the brakes start to give. also if your bracket racing your launching is more consistant.better 60ft times. sure they may be able to do a 4k rpm launch, breaking loose in second etc. but your putting all of your power to the ground with an auto. not much squeel is a good thing. I LOVE MY SLUSHBOX!!!
then again i have a few more horses in front of it. dont have my tc yet....
soon very soon my friends.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Actually I think this is pretty bad for the car. Like someone mentioned above, automatics use a planetary gear system and aren't suited to be changed manually. If you don't understand planetary gear systems or just automatics in general, here is some good reading:

Howstuffworks

I love this website.

·
Registered
106 Posts
umm why would you shift an auto???? that makes no sense to me? and traffic? i drove in bumper to bumper traffic for 8 to 9 hours for 3 days in a row while driving from south south FL to NY (in the pouring rain for 2 of those days, and i mean like hazards on cant see the car in front of you rain) AND i LOVED every moment of it....oh yeah and that was less then a month after i learned how to drive stick..... TRAFFIC is fun, just as long as you aren't in a horrible rush
whats the point of driving a "sports" or "performance" based/type car if its auto???i

·
Registered
1 Posts
why dont u try L to 2 to 3 to D then to R to P n throw some random combinations in and pull the hand brake from time to time while u on the highway
let me know the condition of ur tranny after few months

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Well i have an AT yeah u guys bash the AT a lot
but oh well im gonna make a line to cross to San Diego and its about 2hr ppl fighing to switch lanes and stuff it gets pretty chaotic so AT would be a lot better to do that line.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Yeah i would loved to get a M/T but i havent mastered it yet my car would stall while making line and since im gonna do it monday thru friday to go to college had to go with A/T

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.