Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it even possible for a sportronic (or geartronic or whatever) shifter to be installed as a accessory available for the tc. Its basically assured that the new scion tc or new model year will have them, but is it possible to make an accessory to put in old scions. i know that automatic to manual conversions are, if at all possible, very expensive. i wouldnt mind getting the option, but i dont know if its possible or in the works. i doubt it wil happen. i guess i could have gotten a manual but oh well.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The problem with tC auto is not the logic behind shifting (from the couple of time I drove the auto tC, it feels adequate - does not try to shift at 5K like camry does for example). The biggest problem is gear ratios. And there is no plausible way around it, except trading the car

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The auto is just like every other auto I have driven. Not in the gear I want when I want it, loafing around with the torque converter instead of being in the powerband where I'd like it to be, and all the other usual stuff I hate about slushboxes.

Don't get me wrong, I own one, and it's not all bad, but it's not my first choice. The wife doesn't like to think about her driving at all, so having the transmission take care of all that stuff for her is a very good thing.

I don't think Sport mode shifting is going to make any significant difference to the automatic driving experience. If Toyco were to put an SMG in it, then they'd have my full attention, but until then, autos are for people who don't want to be bothered with shifting, not performance drivers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have an automatic (like me) you'd be better off just waiting until someone does a high performance torque converter and valve body combo for us. A buddy and I built a really fast WRX tarmac car a couple years ago. That was my first experience with a really high-performance car with an automatic, but the shifts were never really that great until we did the torque converter/valve body upgrade.

That's what I'll be looking into if I decide to keep the car after 3 years/30,000.

With the WRX on tarmac, going w/ and automatic was a good idea at the time (pre-STi) as the auto could handle 320whp in 4wheel drive on the pavement in a 1/4mi. situationand the existing WRX 5-speed could not. So we found out what a great deal the torque converter/valve body performance upgrade was first-hand.

This upgrade is not as crazy-expensive as a tranny swap will be, either. IIRC, the TC/VB upgrade to the WRX cost like $300, and gave a really good return on that investment...much quicker/firmer shifts and whiplash-inducing torque transfer to the ground. IMO this would be the best bang-for-the-buck solution to upgrading the auto.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've driven both a Mazda3 and a Volvo S80 that have the Geartronic or whatever you want to call it Auto tranny. Neither one came close to the feedback and control that you have with a Manual. I think they are a waste of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.