Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How exactly does the ipod connect to the stereo, and where does it sit? (hopefully it docks somewhere, and doesn't just lay down on something, what about those fun sharp turNs?) Just wondering...

· Registered
116 Posts
Well, I've iPodded my 05 with the PIE TOY03-AUX adapter.. ran the input to the armrest console where it plugs into the line out port of my belkin iPod charger which is pulgs into the aux power port. SO, my iPod floated around until I found a really cheap belkin iPod holder that sits in the cup holder. I switch around now, sometimes it floats, sometimes it sits in the holder.

If I could control the iPod through the stereo.. I'd just leave it in the armrest, or glove box and that's it..

-K

· Registered
3 Posts
I am so pissed
that I don't have steering wheel controls for the radio, or the nice knob control for volume! I wonder if there is any way to upgrade to the new steering wheel. Man that would have been really sweet to have.

· Registered
242 Posts
Is the ipod update worth it? If you already get the mp3 capability whats the point. Aside from the convinience of using the stereo controls to change the tracks etc. why do it. I ask this because I have an ipod and an ipod shuffle (for running.) The ipod shuffle won't work with this system so im hesitent for it. Also anyone with the 06 stock stereo, does the mp3 player just sit there or does it have a convenient place to put it. I dont want to have an ugly wire hanging there tape deck style.

· Registered
10 Posts
I am also really bummed about missing out on the steering wheel controls and the volume knob... Its really the only thing that i hate about my tc, Im glad they changed it, im just bummed i missed out on it...

So on the 05 if you get the adapter for the ipod you can control the ipod through your stock reciever?

· Premium Member
16,847 Posts
There is no iPod adapter sold to work with the 05 HU. There are ways to make an iPod (or any other source) play thru the HU, though, but you won't be able to control them.

· Registered
188 Posts
Is the ipod update worth it? If you already get the mp3 capability whats the point. Aside from the convinience of using the stereo controls to change the tracks etc. why do it. I ask this because I have an ipod and an ipod shuffle (for running.) The ipod shuffle won't work with this system so im hesitent for it. Also anyone with the 06 stock stereo, does the mp3 player just sit there or does it have a convenient place to put it. I dont want to have an ugly wire hanging there tape deck style.[/b]
Shark_bite, when it says the stereo has an mp3 player, it doesnt mean that theres another ipod-esqe device floating around, it means that the CD player can read mp3 files. In other words, burn a CD full of mp3s as a Data Disc on your computer, organize by folder/artist whatever, and then play as you would a normal CD
The advantage of having the iPod connector is that, with a big nice sized iPod, you can easily cart around a 10000+ song collection, and have it all at your fingertips. Also, there are no ugly wires hanging out anywhere, the connector in the armrest console is pretty stealth

· Registered
242 Posts
hold on, i see what you mean by the ipod connecter being stealth, but what about any other mp3 player? the 06 stereo according to the site (scion.com) can connect with mp3 players through a universal adapter. you just won't be able to control it with the stereo, you will need to change the songs etc. on the mp3 player. so im wondering, one will we have to buy a wire (i already have one they cost 5$ at radio shack) to connect with the universal wire, and will it look really bad with wires hanging or is just as clean as with the ipod hookup. if anyone that has an 06 tc it would be helpful if you gave us some input.

· Registered
339 Posts
wow...

i have the ipod upgraded stereo for $260

the ipod hooks up inside the armrest exactly where on the stock stereo the "aux" hookup is...on the ipod stereo it just says ipod

so you hook up the ipod to the special cable that hooks up to the special ipod hookup that goes to the special ipod friendly stereo (hu) that controls the ipod. total price $260

the 06 comes with a stock stereo, that has an "aux" hookup (the place where the ipod stereo has the ipod hookup) that can work for ALL mp3 players. you can even hookup an ipod to this universaly "aux" hookup you just have to control the stereo with the mp3 player for song changing

as far as the 05's go, you cannot hookup an mp3 player through the stock head unit (stereo or hu whatever you call it) unless you play it through the radio (fm waves)

umm...as far as the stock 06's with the stock headunit that comes with the universal mp3 player capability...the way they have the "aux" hookup in the armrest if you were to run a wire from that to your mp3 player and then control the music by your mp3 player you would have a cord comming out of the armrest....and it may not shut properly...so i would like make a hole or groove in the armrest so it would shut right...but i donno i got the ipod stereo and thats all i listen to.

· Registered
33 Posts
woot, first post from a hopeful Scion tC owner!!! I also had some Q's about the ipod hookup. So do you open the console, plug it in to a prutruding chord? IS that it? And with the sterrin wheel, can you select artists/playlists with it, or just change songs once you are in a playlist? And also, with the 'o6 tC, does the 6 CD changer come standard? And one more, for those of you that got the subwoofer, how is it? It looks reall good, all tucked away in back.

Thanks

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
inside the center console standard is a second aux power point and a 1/8 jack for whatever you have that may plug into it. the upgrade for the iPod includes a new HU, and the associated wiring back to the center cosole, where a seperate iPod plug is installed. the patch cord is supplied, and plugs into your iPod leaving it in the bottom center console. the steering wheel functions allow you to adjust volume and mode. the 6disc changer is now gone from the tC. as for the subwoofer, it is tucked in fairly well, and if you are just looking to add a bit of low end to the existing stereo, you may find it to be a worthwhile investment. if you want serious beat, ditch the factory system entirely and go aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.