Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this thing off eBay. Seemed too good to be true - promised full control of the iPod via the stock HU, including the display of track name/artist, but I still got it.

Install takes about 3 minutes, you switch to the iPod same way you would to the aux-in with one of these PIE adaptors.

That's where the disappointment came in. Since it's the same approach as with these PIE adaptors all this thing does is treats the iPod as a CD changer. So no track name display.

The "disks" in the imaginary CD changer are iPod playlists, tracks are actual tracks within the playlists.

Now to the good part:
You can have A LOT OF playlists (I tried 15 and it worked).
You can switch between playlists and tracks, FF FR within the track.
Track and playlist switching is reasonably quick.
The thing remembers the track that you were on after shutdown.
Startup time is way faster than the built-in CD MP3 player.
If you shut the car off, iPod turns off.
Audio quality is amazing.

Verdict: It's not the equivalent of the '06 OEM iPod interface, BUT it costs 3x less and does not require you to buy a new car if you have an '05. Plus when you think about it - it's very usable and pretty much the only thing that's available to iPod owners with '05 tCs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
one of my friends had something u attach to the ipod and it emits a radio signal. you have to set it to a station where its just pure static tho. that seemed to work very well. it was just ur ipod playing through your car speakers wirelessly. i thought it was pretty cool. thats prolly what imma do when i decide to get an ipod

ps. i used the spell check, and found mistakes, but i purposely left them because i felt the way i spelled it reflects the way i say it. so if anyone has a problem, lemme know

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by ocscion@Aug 18 2005, 03:14 AM
one of my friends had something u attach to the ipod and it emits a radio signal.  you have to set it to a station where its just pure static tho.  that seemed to work very well.  it was just ur ipod playing through your car speakers wirelessly.  i thought it was pretty cool.  thats prolly what imma do when i decide to get an ipod

ps. i used the spell check, and found mistakes, but i purposely left them because i felt the way i spelled it reflects the way i say it.  so if anyone has a problem, lemme know
what you're talking about ocscion is an fm modulator.. broadcast a signal over the fm radio.. they have those at walmart made by belkin for $33.00 (the good one)

what i think zoltiz is saying is that this hooked up into the wiring harness in the back of the radio so that it could display the info from the ipod onto the display of the radio..

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought a similar item from Crutchfield for my Avalon stereo. I was pretty cheap compared to other brands ($120). It is also pretty basic and seems to be more restrictive than yours. It requires that I crate 5 playlists of certian names which will act like a cd. I can use the stereo control to go backward and forward between songs or playlists (via cd selector). It doesn't show the track name either.

Still, I'm not complaining much. It sounds much better than the caset adapter I used to use. The FM modulator simply was horrible. This thing sounds excellent and I don't have to mess around with my iPod. I just put it out of my sight and leave it alone.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The playlist situation might be Scion-specific. It was pretty interesting when I first tried it - you go through playlists, the HU shows Disc 1, 2, 3, etc, then goes to 9, 0, semicolon, greater than sign, less than sign, dollar sign and goes on with the ASCII table

I am a newb when it comes to playlists, only had music sorted by artist/album and used it like that, so it took me a while to come up with a logical playlist structure. I have about a dozen playlists now with 50-80 songs each, and I can relatively easy find the album I am looking for that way. I have about 4 days of music on the little 6G mini, it sits in the glovebox, I don't take it out, and don't need to see it. So I guess the device does what it's supposed to.

Called Metra today - they said that they should be releasing an optional screen to show track name/ artist / album name for this device shortly, so if it looks decent I might get it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^ yup, via the smaller aux/data connector on the back of the HU. It does come with a Y-harness, so if you have XM you can still use it (theoretically).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.