Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found an auction for the following:

Four 12" cold cathode (Randode) lights, wiring harness, a switch that pops right into the dashboard, mounting ties, and detailed instructions.

Anyone know anything about these? Good, bad, etc.? I found a color I really like and I think I might try 'em out if I get some thumbs up.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, it's about $76.00.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I agree with spydirweb. Neons are for hondas. But if you like them, at least do it right and install them correctly. Regardless of the size, $76 does NOT seem like any sort of deal to me. You can pick up 20" neon tubes at pep boys, or auto zone for around $20 a piece with no shipping. I don't know, its your call, but I'd say, keep looking....

·
Registered
936 Posts
i wont get into the rice argument, its tiresome after a while. What I will say is, the more stuff u add on.....the more problems u have in the future. Eventually that stuff will get old, burn fuses and discolor......which makes ur car look like crap!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I feel like a huge dork for getting the interior light kit (I chose the blue color)...I had a hard time justifying the price, and I know it's pretty silly at any price...even so, I figured it might look cool and if I decide I don't like it, I can always just leave it off.

Ah well, it remains to be seen whether I'll like it -- I take my car back to the dealer on Wednesday to get my options (spoiler, electrochromatic mirror, tint, and light kit) installed. Anyone else have the factory-installed light kit?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I usually say I'm not about rice....but I went to an old auto show and people who were showing off their cars. They had everything there from old "Dick Tracy" Fords and old Cobras, to brand new PT Cruisers and Scions (including three xBs parked next to me).

I had gotten tons of people looking at my car during the day, asking all sorts of questions and once it got a little dark, everyone switched their lights on...even the xBs next to me... My poor Flint MIca was dark, and unloved.

It's illegal to drive with them on in my state, so that wouldn't be my point for getting them.....I'd just have them for when I'm sitting around with my car shooting the breeze with people or something like that.

I don't know...maybe it's a waste of money...but I just want to do something different with my car that is "temporary". You can turn off the lights....you can't turn off decals or pinstriping or wing spoilers or anything like that.

Granted, I don't know much about adding things to cars, so if someone can recommend a "personal touch" to the car that doesn't involve lights/rice then I'll certainly appreciate it.

**Edit: Oh yeah, and about the stuff getting old and turning ugly... They'll hardly be used, so I'm pretty sure they'll last a long while. By the time they die, I'm sure I'll be more than ready to take them out of the car.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ones I saw installed on the tC that's still sitting on the lot were under the dash but in PLAIN VIEW and I didn't like that.

This example photo I saw on eBay is pretty cool, including the picture they have of the switch that fits into one of the available switch holes on the dash:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I'm all about purple, so that's the color I'd be getting. *Edit: Here's a picture of the purple for the xA, xB.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7912738904

·
Registered
409 Posts
those aren't too bad, i was thinking about get lights just so that when im driving stick with somebody at night, they could tell me if im afjsdklfjlasdk;jasd~ing my shifting and clutching and what not =)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hehe...it'd be cheaper just to take a small snake light and wrap it around your door handle or something, and point it towards your feet.

Honestly though, if you're afjsdklfjlasdk;jasd~ing something up with your shifting and clutching, you're more than likely gonna' know about it. The car will jump or the gears will grind or the engine will rev or something.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can get you led accent lights for about 15 each. They are much smaller, much brighter, look better, etc. Just if you want. Didn't read all the post but $76 isn't a deal.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I just liked the packaged b/c of the color, and the wiring and instructions came with it, and that switch that fits in the dash is just what I was wanting...not some add on switch I have to put somewhere.

If you can get purple lights like that, can you also put together a "kit" with wiring, instructions, and a switch like that one? And, the big question is, if so....about how much will it cost?

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
I think I feel you LL on the whole light thing. If you find yourself in that situation where everybody else has one and you want to fit in, go for it. However, you should think of something to do with those lights (or lighting) that is a little different than what everbody else has. Uniqueness is what you got when you bought a tC you should carry it all the way through when it comes to mods.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you want to differentiate your scion from other, and IF YOU HAVE THE CASH, i'd say get a custom purple paint job. If it's your favorite color, why not? Sure it might be a bit pricey, but it'll definitley be unique. It's probably not too realistic of a suggestions, but nevertheless, that's my opinion. Also, LED's are way cooler than cold cathode neons. They also last longer and use up less electricity, and they're way smaller too.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, when I saw an old-timey car this weekend in a pretty purple I looked at my boyfriend with a sly grin and said that I should custom paint my car purple, but with the same sparkle look of the flint mica. Hehe.

I would SOOOOO do it.....but, unfortunately, I just don't have the money for it. :-(

I.....after reading moriarty's post though, I really don't want it to be all about fitting in...but making my car different (from what I'm use to) in a not-so abnormal, not-so "racey," and not so expensive way.

Maybe I'll look on-line a bit more tomorrow and see if I can find other things to do with my car that will still fill my need, but won't involve the lights. Who knows....

Thanks for all the comments. If I DO go with lights, I'll definitely look for a LED kit (maybe I can contact the other seller and see if he can auction off the switch and wiring, alone?).

:Shrug:

·
Registered
66 Posts
personally, i like my interior lights. in fact, i wish they had them in the backseat as well

1 - 20 of 24 Posts