Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys will get a kick out of this...

When I went to go pick up my license plate from the collision center yesterday I managed to chat with the guys who yanked it apart and assessed the damage. And they told me that it was essentially repairable, the frame puller could have fixed the rear end damage just fine with little residual, yada yada yada, but what ended up totalling my car was the dealer installed parts I got with my car.
The sport muffler installed...545$ ---- price for the collision guys.... $1200
Leather steering wheel $329 installed..... collision guys $700. Etc etc for the other parts.

Don't know what the deal is with that, but they were amazed when I told them how much it actually cost at the dealership, etc. So all the damaged internals ended up totalling out my car. Weird huh? Anyways, not my concern anymore. Insurance is settled. Down about 500$ for the 20c/mile depreciation on 620 miles plus interest on my loan plus teh dealer admin fee that they wouldn't cover (insurance) Not that I would really want a pieced back together car. That's what lawyers are for.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Good thing it got totalled out. That's the first case I see when aftermarket parts actually have a positive influence when dealing with insurance. Enjoy a new car. Again

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by mysciontc@Oct 29 2004, 12:30 PM
I think you are full of sh*t. Why would you have to pay twice as much for the add ons. Just go back to Toyota.
And I think you're disrespectful. No need for that around here.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Theres no need to call each other names here unless its selfish drunk... catnip addict... Wo ur loaded... etc.

Anyways, I think labfish was just quoting what the guys at the collision center was saying it would cost to replace them.

Of course labfish could go to a dealership and get them reinstalled for the same price... but for insurance purposes... believe me... you want your quotes higher than the actual cost to repair/replace cause if its below... you end up picking up the tab. And that would totally suck.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ good answer, sin. i concur with your assessment. i guess thats what you get when you actually read the post correctly and think before you type. someone should take a lesson.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Eric@Oct 29 2004, 07:33 AM
Any word on what you're going to get for pain & suffering? Or do the lawyers still need to talk?
No word yet - his insurance hasn't called me back and I'll contact with my lawyer on Monday. Don't know if he'll take it without the hospital bills arriving at my house yet.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by mysciontc@Oct 29 2004, 08:30 AM
I think you are full of sh*t. Why would you have to pay twice as much for the add ons. Just go back to Toyota.
Well you shoul dhave seen their faces when I told them what the dealer installed option was. Kinda looked like this....

They figured that it was the parts had to come from Japan and/or europe since this car is built on the avensis platform and put together in Japan. Didn't matter to me....I get the second chance to rebuilt/outfit my car.

I was just happy I hadn't gotten my sway bar installed yet....

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
if you werent so damn far away from the west coast, my crew would be happy to help build the new labfish-mobile. hope you get everything put back the way it was, bro. dont let them leave a single thing out.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^^ That would have been *soooo* tempting.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by mysciontc@Oct 29 2004, 08:30 AM
I might need to suggest a think before you type filter.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by mysciontc@Oct 29 2004, 11:30 AM
read the post, myscionfreind, or you will be lost...

"Wtf are these guys talking about?"

·
Registered
290 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Oct 29 2004, 07:28 AM
Good thing it got totalled out. That's the first case I see when aftermarket parts actually have a positive influence when dealing with insurance. Enjoy a new car. Again
yeah i cant believe they actually concidered the aftermarket parts unless they were TRD parts added to original cost when you bought it, but anyway it is a good thing a straightened out car is never the same after taking a wack like that. anyway is there anyway to get the headlights out of the wrecked car?? I am looking for a donor for my HID retro fit??? dealer is $300 a pair, but looking for a cheaper option

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL...I don't think they would have let me after it with a screwdriver.

But I'm sure that's exactly what they're going to do to my car...strip the value for parts. Everything in the front half is recoverable. 600 mile engine...yada yada yada.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
When my buddy rolled his Avalon into a ditch we went to scavenge the thing at the bodyshop lot - I had all my tools with me and we spent good 40 minutes taking stuff from that car. I got myself an extra jack, bunch of cigarette lighters, nice loud horn, trunk carpet and a bunch of other cool stuff. Bodyshop did not care for some reason.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amazing. Although when I went to get my personal stuff out of it they're like....the key is on the floor...and I'm like WTF? My car is actually in a driveable condition you idiots...if you don't mind the back hatch missing. If I were a social deviant I would have just gone back in the middle of the night and driven my car away. LoL....dunno how far I'd get.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Should have kept the key - it's worth $250...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got my 2nd key and the valet key still...

Side note: Can those be re-programmed to the new car? Anyone? Anyone?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts