Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road show: Teens are turning their cars into personal statements - and sometimes risking a ticket

Customs and the law

Lowering your car: The vehicle's frame, or any part of the body, may not be lower than the lowest point of the wheel rim.

Raising your car: A passenger vehicle's frame cannot rest higher than 23 inches from the ground.

License plate: A DMV-issued license plate must be mounted on the front and rear of the vehicle. A white, clear light must illuminate the rear license plate. You cannot put your license plate in the vehicle's window.

Headlights: Blue, yellow and other headlights besides white ones are illegal. They cannot be brighter or higher-wattage than those issued from the factory.

Brake lights/taillights: Taillights on all vehicles and brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red. Taillights cannot be dim, washed out or covered in any way.

Decorative lighting: All flashing decorative lights, lights attached to tire valves and lighted license plate frames are illegal. Lights attached to windshield washer nozzles, other than white or yellow, also are illegal. You can be given a citation if such lights are on the vehicle and not operating.

Noise: You cannot operate your stereo so that it can be heard more than 50 feet from the vehicle. Exhaust systems cannot give off excessive or unusual noise. Law-enforcement officers do not have to use sound meters to test for noise. Your exhaust can fulfill smog requirements, but exceed sound limits.

Engines: Most engine modifications are illegal due to smog and pollution laws. Nitrous boosters are illegal. Visit www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/ devices/amquery.php for information.

Windows: Only windows behind the driver's head may be tinted.

Video: Video screens cannot be within the driver's sight, except for those of navigation devices.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
This is california law, correct? Pretty strict out there.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Originally posted by krdshrk@Nov 18 2005, 10:18 AM
This is california law, correct? Pretty strict out there.
Prety much the same in NY man.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I know it's legal to have underbody lights on when i'm parked in NJ. A cop came up after I got them installed and said "Nice lights!"

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Awesome. Snow tires are not sold here. Ha ha.

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I'm guessing that underbody lights are out of the question too huh?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I guess they dont have a problem with your girl giving you road head then do they? Its not on the list........

(lets see how fast that post gets edited!)

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've never been cited for it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Nov 18 2005, 10:35 PM
Awesome. Snow tires are not sold here. Ha ha.
Well, WE don't need snow tires OR front plates. Of course, we have more ******** and racists, so I guess it balances out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Man, Cali sucks. I remember running an open down pipe on my turbo Eclipse and having a cop tell me it sounded nice when he was behind me. lol

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Nov 19 2005, 07:00 AM
Well, WE don't need snow tires OR front plates.  Of course, we have more ******** and racists, so I guess it balances out.
I hate Red Necks. The reason I got in to an accident was because this F^cker couldnt drive. There was no body on the road but him and I and we were going in the same direction when bam he side swiped me. Word to the wise dont buy a car that has been totaled 4 times and was rebuilt in a dirt shop in a backyard of a red neck you might get sideswiped. Oh and it was full of Bondo you know the *******'s answer to every thing besides Duct Tape.

Sorry that was a lil off topic

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
the person that wrote that article is a complete tool..

-"Exhaust systems cannot give off excessive or unusual noise. Law-enforcement officers do not have to use sound meters to test for noise. Your exhaust can fulfill smog requirements, but exceed sound limits."- its a fix it ticket and can get checked off at certain smog stations, SEMA has helped greatly in this regard. i believe it has to be under 90 or 96 decibles at normal operating levels.
-"most engine modifications are illegal due to smog and emissions"...partly true, but ive seen many go through just fine including JDM swaps. many have carb numbers as well.

it was one of the many sh!!ty articles the Sacramento Bee enjoys crapping on the public. i thought i was reading a 7th grade research paper. my ex-gf emailed it to me on friday and i got a huge laugh out of it. it seemed as though he was trying to scare parents away from allowing their kids to enjoy car modification, as if the faulty police around this area don't do a good enough job already. excellent journalism SacBee!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I agree, eric. I read that aritcal in the Bee and laughed several times. The author gave me the impression he had never even seen a car that wasn't 100% stock before.

The only part of hte Bee I ever read is business and comics. (This artical was in the scene, I believe, so I read it before moving on to the comics)

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
yeah no kidding, business, forums (for my politics, one of my loves), sports (even though they are a disgrace to local coverage), and page two (also california politics)

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The guy who wrote it may be a tool, but those guys get the ear of the legislature. Now you know why we have so many stupid, unenforceable laws in CA.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.