Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is an interesting experience. We own 3 cars. In GA, the ad valorem is payable on the birthday of the owner. So we have one car in her name, one in mine, and the tC in both, but as she is lead in the loan, it pegs on her birthday.

So I just got the tax notice for my car. After I paid it off, I said I wonder what the fark happened to the tC? Well, I checked and we paid the tax on her car, but had nothing on the tC! At this point, the W*T*Fs are pretty big. You have to realize that the tC is now 2 months overdue on its tags, and I have been cruising most of the NC/SC coastline on a car with expired tags!

So I went and stood in line in the county tag line.
When I finally get to the window, I am told yes, we never sent you a notice. The reason? They have no idea what a tC is. At first, they tried to tell me it was a light duty vehicle. Excuse me?
It's a two door coupe!

After 20 minutes of three of them fooling around on their computer and one conference call, I got one of them to agree to put down the value of the car and tax me on that. I really could not afford another 20 minutes of my time wasted. When one of them said how about $15.5K, I said I'll take it!

Not sure if any of you in GA have had this problem. Maybe it is problematic in Cobb county alone??

Dan

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, sure do. Started first in that little corner of Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport, TN. Found it to be way too boring. Moved to halfway between Philly and Lancaster. Certainly the best of all places IF one wanted to live north of the Mason Dixon line. Finally settled on Hotlanta (the area). Best combination of cooking, low gas, beer, and cig prices, and availability of firearms.

If it takes a penal colony to make that happen, it should happen more often.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Huh huh, he said penal colony, huh huh.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
My tag/ad valorem notice said "Cannot determine tax amount" and it does not say anything in the vehicle model section...

I hope I won't forget to go and renew the tags...

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my notice it told me that they could not calculate the tax. If you have this on your notice don't wait til the last minute to take care of it.

This is what I had to do...
I had to fax a copy of my full purchase price to the county tax commissioner so that they could calculate my tax. They will either fax you the new amount or tell you over the phone.

If you wait until you go to the tag office you will get screwed because they won't be able to help you. IT MUST GO THROUGH THE TAX COMISSIONERS OFFICE.

Although I paid it online, this applies to either.

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem!!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
We need to re-do Atlanta Roll Call - We got at least 4 new guys here that haven't been to our meet.

On-topic: Crap, I have 2 weeks left till my b-day, need to fess up with ad valorem...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ok, got ad valorem paid yesterday. The clerk had a blank stare when she looked at my registration card, then asked "Oh, is it the boxy one?", then asked for my bill of sale that I did not have on me. So I tell her that I remember how much the car was - $16515, she says ok, and says that my tax is $225. All in all about 2 minutes.

I should probably register the car in TN or somewhere else - $225/year is too much for just owning a car...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.