Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well is it? Assuming the trd s/c with an upgraded pulley?

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Not necessary, but I'd suggest it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but, seeing that ther air is neing pulled from the outside through the turbine and into the intake with out having the exhaust going through the turbine would the air actually get that much hotter than if ou were just sucking air into the intake normally? i hate sounding like a noob but i dont know much about intercooling an sc

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It isn't about efficiency, it's about the temperature of the gas in the cylinder under full compression. If you remove heat from the intake charge, the final cylinder temperature of the a/f mixture will be lower and allow you to run more boost without have autoignition problems (detonation).

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Pressure is a function of flow and any decent IC will not significantly affect flow. It will reduce boost pressure though because the temperature of the intake charge is lower. How much I can't say, I don't know all the volumes involved in the equation, but running through an IC might make it possible to run lesser quality fuel, which IMHO would be a huge benefit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you you expand on that last post Lo Bux? from my searches it looks as if the IC+SC setup will be a good combo....or should I say the most effective combo. Expensive though. how would the IC enable us to use the lower grade saudi sauce?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Without doing all the calcs I can't say absolutely yes, you could run midgrade or regular, but the IC's job is to reduce temperature gain from pressurization. So the air going into the cylinder is starting at a lower temperature than if it comes straight off the supercharger. If you have the values to plug in, then you can calculate the temperature of the mixture when it is fully compressed. If the IC removes enough heat to keep this temperature under the autoignition temperature for midgrade or regular, then it's OK to run the cheaper fuels. You can do the same thing with water or methanol injection: remove heat through the heat of vaporization for water or methanol (or a mix of the two), and sneak under the premium requirement.

I like the IC idea because you'll never run out of IC, where you might run out of water or methanol, so you need some kind of warning to let the driver know the secret sauce needs a refill before the engine gets mad and holes a piston.

Any FI setup needs a way to comtrol the intake temperature because intake air always gains heat under pressurization. It's one of those immutable laws of physics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.