Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm an old school muscle car guy and I've owned lots of V8's and I'd like to know what everyone thinks they gain by putting an intake on? What you make up for less restriction of flow has to be countered somewhat by heat. The intakes I've seen on some of your rides are steel which hold heat and the engine compartment is full of hot air which will give you a less dense intake of air and less performance. I can understand a cold air intake based on what I just said, but when I see a filter sitting there ready to suck in hot air, I have to laugh. We used to gain performance from forcing fresh, cooler air into the motor through a scoop or flex tubes. Just curious! Not trying to dis anyone for their preference of an intake.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
The reason for someone geting a short ram intake (the intake that sits in the engine compartment) is because some people are affraid to suck up water in to the engine but i have the K&N Typhoon and i live in welli am stationed in SC and when it rains it RAINS. i have no problem the filter isnt that close to the ground. but if you take ur foot off the gas and take it out of gear and cost threw a puddle that you think is that deep wich you shouldnt be driving threw anyways it wont suck up ####. so there is my insight of that well i think usless intake versus the CAI. wich by the way the CAI is alot louder then the Short Ram.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by gotTC?@Aug 8 2005, 03:55 PM
basically you get more noise from what i've heard.
Nothing wrong with a little noise

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Aug 8 2005, 04:16 PM
The reason for someone geting a short ram intake (the intake that sits in the engine compartment) is because some people are affraid to suck up water in to the engine but i have the K&N Typhoon and i live in welli am stationed in SC and when it rains it RAINS. i have no problem the filter isnt that close to the ground. but if you take ur foot off the gas and take it out of gear and cost threw a puddle that you think is that deep wich you shouldnt be driving threw anyways it wont suck up ####. so there is my insight of that well i think usless intake versus the CAI. wich by the way the CAI is alot louder then the Short Ram.
That makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Short Rams are useless. Short-Ram on a tC = Noise.

Cold Air Intake helps a small amount by sucking air from the fenderwell where (if it's not a really hot day outside) the air is cooler than it would be under the hood. The theory that because the intakes are made of aluminum that they are going to heat up the air coming in therefor negating the benefit of cooler air is a myth essentially. It makes sense at first thought, but not in theory. The air that is sucked throught the intake is moving so fast that a little aluminum is not going to make hardly any difference in it's temp. Now if there were like aluminum baffles inside the intake, obviously they would heat the air up, but there arent. The air is simply moving too fast to heat up.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Got a link to the test methodology? I suspect it's flawed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.