Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard the intake manifold for the tC is made of plastic? (My friend said he read it in the tC Manual that was out on the internet the .pdf one) If it is plastic, wouldn't that be the first thing you would want to mod?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yep, same as the celica and matrix, the tC runs a high temp plastic intake manifold.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by SilverX@Sep 8 2004, 04:21 PM
I heard the intake manifold for the tC is made of plastic? (My friend said he read it in the tC Manual that was out on the internet the .pdf one) If it is plastic, wouldn't that be the first thing you would want to mod?
IMO it's not necessarily better to change it out, the plastic is a better thermal insulator (relative to aluminum) that would result in less heating of the intake air on it's way to the combustion chamber. It's also lighter than an equivilant mass-produced (cast) aluminum intake. Just my $0.02

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ good thoughts. thanks. thats kinda what i wanted to say, but my brain isnt functioning well this afternoon. oh, and as i am behind on everything, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
936 Posts
most cars use plastic upper-intake plenum's because (as mentioned before) its thermo-conductivity is much higher than that of aluminum. Because of this it sheds heat much faster and can provide some weight savings. There is not a lot of pressure up at the top of intake so its definitley strong enough to handle anything you can throw at it. I know my Mustang had a plastic intake manifold.....even with 420+ HP they would be fine:) - t

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Sep 8 2004, 05:04 PM
^^^  good thoughts.  thanks.  thats kinda what i wanted to say, but my brain isnt functioning well this afternoon.  oh, and as i am behind on everything, welcome to the site.
Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Sep 8 2004, 06:54 PM
most cars use plastic upper-intake plenum's because (as mentioned before) its thermo-conductivity is much higher than that of aluminum. Because of this it sheds heat much faster and can provide some weight savings.
It's pretty tough for nylon to beat aluminum in thermal conductivity, although there are certain fillers that help, it's still a huge gap. A highly thermal conductive manifold will transfer (exchange) engine & under-hood heat to the intake charge. A quick google search produced an article from the Engineering Design News web site that briefly describes the benefits of the composite intake manifolds. See this PAGE about half way down, the article called "Intake manifold wins SPE Grand Award"

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also you dont have to really worry about an casting flaws in the manifolds or sand residue from the casting like in aluminum ones

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by Ivben Blown+Sep 8 2004, 11:47 PM-->QUOTE (Ivben Blown @ Sep 8 2004, 11:47 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
@Sep 8 2004, 06:54 PM
most cars use plastic upper-intake plenum's because (as mentioned before) its thermo-conductivity is much higher than that of aluminum. Because of this it sheds heat much faster and can provide some weight savings.
It's pretty tough for nylon to beat aluminum in thermal conductivity, although there are certain fillers that help, it's still a huge gap. A highly thermal conductive manifold will transfer (exchange) engine & under-hood heat to the intake charge. A quick google search produced an article from the Engineering Design News web site that briefly describes the benefits of the composite intake manifolds. See this PAGE about half way down, the article called "Intake manifold wins SPE Grand Award" [/b]
i knew my wording was off, thanks for sharing that info! - t

·
Registered
48 Posts
from what i can tell, the only thing that could help from a new IM would be: Carbon fiber (for wheght & strength), a larger more free flowing designe, w/ a heat resistent plastic plenem. this should be made in tow types. one for N/A and one for the S/C.

this comes from the fact that the stock IM is fairly efficient already, and is stuck/weged in there in the back behind the engine block. so a canister w/ runners style (like jdm honda preformance styles) wont work, there just isn't the room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts