Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderator, someone asked for this. If you feel it should be posted as a reply, kindly move it with my permission.

By request, here is the install and what I have learned"

Tools you need that will make this as easy as possible:

Pair of car stands
Hydraulic jack
Socket wrench
14mm socket
Torque wrench
TRD sway bar with two bushings and two brackets and instruction pamphlet

Hint 1: The TRD box should have the sway bar, bushings, and brackets. If you do not see them, don’t be an idiot like me and call them. Open the other end of the box! If you don’t find them then, then you have every right to call.

Hint 2: If your car stands are standard height, you most likely will not be able to raise the tC high enough using the Toyota car jack to place them properly.

Hint 3: If you just drove in from work or where ever, the exhaust is still, um, warm.

Hint 4: Don’t use regular car jacks to keep the rear end off the ground. It is plain stupid and dangerous!

1) Loosen the lug nuts on the back passenger wheel.
2) Raise car using hydraulic back and place the car stands. Do this for both sides towards the rear.
3) Remove back passenger tire. Note: You do not have to remove the tire, but it makes it go a lot faster!
4) Using socket wrench and 14mm socket, remove the old sway bar. Since it is thin, it will slide out almost any which way with a little finagling.
5) Prepare the TRD sway bar per the included instructions.
6) If you have removed the rear passenger tire, slide the TRD sway bar from this side remembering the orientation. If you have not, dislocate the exhaust hanger that will make installing the sway bar the easiest.
7) Finger tighten the four bracket bolts.
8) Figure out which setting you will use and finger tighten those nuts.
9) Torque the bracket nuts to 26 ft-lb.
10) Torque the other two to 32 ft-lb.
11) If you took off the rear passenger tire, now would be a good time to put it back on and tighten the nuts.
12) Lower car carefully.
13) Clean up after yourself.
14) Enjoy!

Couple of things. You most likely will be able to install the TRD sway bar using car ramps. However, if your torque wrench and socket is the same size as mine (and it’s not that big), you will not be able to tighten the nuts in either setting. You can use a regular socket wrench to tighten it in the street setting. Also, finagling the bars in and out will cost you precious time you could be out terrorizing the neighborhood in your newly mod’ed car!

If the above is true, and it was for me, you will not be able to change the setting using ramps. So unless you have a really thin torque wrench and socket, don’t even try. Sure, you could use an open wrench or crescent wrench, but I tend to think that things that have torque specs have them for a reason.

It might look like a lot, but if you have the tools, this is really quick and the benefits are just fantastic for less than $150 delivered to your door.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and standard disclaimer applies. If you screw this up and hurt yourself or your car, I am not to blame.

Lastly, if someone wants to add or modify something to this thread, let me know. I’ll put it on and give you credit. This posting should by no means be taken as the final word in the TRD sway bar install!

·
Registered
299 Posts
thanks.. i think i was the one that requested this
very helpful.. if u had pictures that'd be great! but i guess its a little too late for that

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about it, but unless the car in on a lift, the camera is so close to the vehicle that the pictures would not be any better/different than what TRD provides. So right or wrong, I decided not to fool with it. But the pictures in the TRD pamphlet are good enough to get the job done!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine took about a half hour to install, but I have access to a lift. Its really simple once you figure out how to get the bar in & out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for all the information on installation of the sway bar. I installed mine this afternoon on jackstands in my driveway. I had no problems and was able to fairly easily "thread" the old bar out and the new one in...with one rear wheel removed. I picked up the bar at McGeorgeparts since I live in the same town. Their price was $95 for the bar. They told me that TRD had made them a good price on the sway bars and they were passing it along. They had a lot of them. It appears that the idea was that they produced many to be installed on the tC before delivery as an option to add to the basic price of the car. The cars are not staying on the lot long enough to get accessories added. Makes sense..I guess. Thanks to McGeorgeparts for the good deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts