Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second post here so play nice. LOL
I'm getting ready to install my TRD Springs, TRD Shocks, Hotckis F&R Sways and Front Strut bar tomorrow. I'm going to start early and try to do it in one day.
I have read the instructions a couple times,and did a few searchs for install info on all parts. Found good info on the springs and shocks and rear sway bar. but not much on the front sway bar. By the way thanks to all those have taken the time to write the how to articles. and the pics from lo bux racer.

I have a few more questions on the front sway bar install. Is the front engine cradle self centering or will it need to be realigned? It looks like the all the bolts keep it centered in the correct position. Can any one confirm this?.

I'm going to make some marks on the cradle/brace in different areas to help the with replacement. Also do I need to support the engine from under the car? It doesn't look like it from the instructions, but I figured I 'd ask.
Lastly where is the best place to measure from. As I center sway bar from right to left?

Any other info would be most helpful
Thanks for the help
Jeff

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
You don't need to mark anything. Just remember which bolts go where. Ignore the instruction that says loosen the steering rack bolts. You'll never get them tight again without busting at least two knuckles. All you need to remove is the rear cradle bolts and the four rear engine mount nuts and bolts. The rear engine mount has three studs and one long bolt. If you remove the three nuts and the one bolt so it isn't holding the subframe up, you will have no problem getting the subframe to drop.

The two big 19mm nuts on the long studs at the front of the subframe only need to be loosened. I would not remove them, there is no need. Run them down until they are holding with two or three threads and you're good. Remove the engine mount nuts and bolts, remove the other three rear cradle bolts and the two front cradle bolts, then remove the four big bolts on either side at the rear of the subframe. It should drop nicely. Then take a largish pry bar (I used a 17" 1/2 drive breaker bar) and gently pry on the subframe at the back. It should move very easily. Stuff a tallish socket between the subframe and the chassis to hold the back side down while you work. I used a 24mm socket for this.

Once you've done all this, you are going to have to work in a tight space to get the bolts out, then snake out the old swaybar and mounts.

There are no tricks to centering the swaybar. It's an iterative process, and it is easiest if you put your jack under one of the wheels and compress the suspension, then turn the wheel and check your clearance on both sides. When the bar gets pinched equally in both directions you are centered. I doubt you will not get a pinched bar, but it may be possible with the setup you are using. Mine doesn't pinch at parking lot speeds, but if you try to turn more than one and a half turns of the wheel with the suspension heavily compressed, the tie rod will hit the bar. I can't imagine any situation where I am in control of the car that this would happen, but it is possible.

Good luck. PM me if you have other questions.

EDIT Just a thought - make sure you have these tools on hand before you start:

14mm deep well, preferably 1/2 drive
19mm deep well, must be 1/2 drive
12mm and flex ratchet or short wobble extension(s)
5mm hex and 14mm box end for the swaybar end links (BTW, they are tightened to 54 ft-lbs).

I would HIGHLY suggest using air tools for the subframe bolts, and I also highly recommend having a big torque wrench (like a SnapOn 1/2 drive capable of 200 ft-lbs) for the subframe nuts and bolts.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lo bux racer,
thanks for the helpful info. I'm going to use air and I have all the tools that you suggested. I will let you know haow it goes in a few hours
Thanks
Jeff

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started the complete install at about 9:00am and dropped the car back on the driveway at 4:30 with a short break for lunch. I had the most trouble with the rear sway mounts. I had to drill out the holes to allow the bolts to line up better. I also had to add a second washer to the front mounts .It seems the 06 uses a smaller bolt to mount the front sway bar. The bolts were 12mm instead of 14mm . I dent think it will be a problem with the washers.

All in all it was pretty straight forward install and the front was not as bad as I thought it would be.
I'm going out to give her a test drive and I'll report back then.

Thanks again lo bux for the hints
Jeff

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Hey lo bux, on the trd spring install that I will be doing this weekend, what tools would you recommend me having besides a torque wrench? And is there anything in the service manual that I should ignore doing?

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Inevitablegod is the king of lowering here. I'd ask him. I was lazy and bought Tein SS-Ps so I didn't have to do any of that spring remove and install stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.