Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got the B&M short shifter for my car and would like to know of a few things that you guys thought was hard in the installation of it so I might be able to avoid it or know what to do. Pharoah, you helped me with the exhaust(and man does it sound tight as F***) and I saw you have the B&M too, so maybe you have some tips. I have looked for an install of the B&M on this site and their isnt one, to my knowledge, so I'd like to start one up for us newbies who wanna DIY. All hints and pictures are welcome
. Thanks a lot!!

Eric

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
annoying clip and getting the console off(which involves unclipping wires by feeling around while you stick your arm under the half removed console). FUN!!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any hints about what to do about those two things????? And I know this isn't going to be easy... but their is not satisfaction like DIY!!!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
The clip that everyone speaks of, I used 3 flat head screwdrivers and a sledge hammer ( it was the only hammer I could find at the time). And pounded away. Becareful not to break or crack the white housing though(it is tough just try not to mutalate it too bad (though it will be mutalated a little) haha).

The console was hard to just find all of the plugs to unplug then find a way to yank it out of there. Maybe have a friend help you hold it up whiel you lay there and fiddle around. Just when you find the plugs jsut remember to find ap art to squeeze then pull.

The boot will be scrunched if you got a shorter shifter so you can mod that too. There is a thread that Zoilts posted about it but I can explain it for you.

Before you install the knob put the boot inside out and take that metal wire holding the shiny plastic cap on the top.

take it out then put the wire lower down and mess around with it until you get the length that you like. remember when you put it on to screw the knob down that it will be lower than it looks. So no scrunchies!

oh yeah put the plastic thing back on and have the wire hold it down. its pretty simple when you see it you should understand. Look up zoilt's thread if you get confused.

Enjoy your new toy.
Good Luck (DIY rocks.) everything on my car is DIY so far.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Glad to hear you're liking your exhaust! Hmm, this install was a little more annoying, especially since the B&M instructions are crap, but the end result is definitely worth it. Here's the thread I'd started with questions I had when I did mine.

Hmm, let's see...First of all, taking off the console isn't too difficult, as long as you have the patience. I used a small flathead screwdriver to pry it off the sides, just cuz I didn't wanna break any clips.

I found the cigarette lighter cable kinda annoying, but that was only because the instructions were terrible (Let me know if you have trouble with it).

Also, careful while taking off the clips that hold the shifter cables onto the assembly, because they can fly off and fall into mysterious holes in the car. (I'm driving around without them right now...hopefully my shifter cables won't pop out of place)

Then, there's the part where I didn't exactly follow the instructions. It says to take off the shifter cables before unbolting the assembly. However, I had a lot of trouble with that, so I left it the way it is, and after unbolting the assembly, just tilted it a little to the side to put on those blue "spacers."

Then came the task of removing the infamous washer that holds the rod in place, where some suggest using a dremel (which I don't have), while others suggest using a screwdriver (which wouldn't fit). I started by using a hammer and a small nail to make an indentation in the washer, then moved on to a screwdriver to make that indentation bigger, and eventually, it popped off, and the rod slid off.

The only other part I had trouble with was taking off the pivot ring. For that, I simply used a flathead and a hammer, prying it off slowly, from different angles at the same time, until it popped up. At that point, pretty much everything else was simply reinstalling parts, or at least those which I hadn't lost. *cough* clips *cough*

Wow, this is a lot longer than I expected. Anyway, good luck, Eric!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally posted by ALaS@Dec 28 2005, 12:31 AM
The boot will be scrunched if you got a shorter shifter so you can mod that too. There is a thread that Zoilts posted about it but I can explain it for you.

Before you install the knob put the boot inside out and take that metal wire holding the shiny plastic cap on the top.

take it out then put the wire lower down and mess around with it until you get the length that you like. remember when you put it on to screw the knob down that it will be lower than it looks. So no scrunchies!

oh yeah put the plastic thing back on and have the wire hold it down. its pretty simple when you see it you should understand. Look up zoilt's thread if you get confused.
The B&M doesn't really lower shifter height, so you shouldn't have a problem with that. At least I didn't.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Ah I see. THe TWM instructions were very clear EXCEPT for the part about removing the console.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How the F*** do you take off the center console???? I can't find the two bolts they are talking about... lol thanks for the help!!!

Eric

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
For the part of the console with the shift boot, just grip it from the top, and pull gently, until the top pries off, then trace it with your fingers along the sides to make the backside pop off. Then, for the piece with the cupholders, just grab it from the bottom, and pull. The part left should be the one with the sides, and the center armrest. Pull off the mat inside the storage console, and you'll find the two bolts.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow am I dumb
lol. Okay I got that but when I try and pull that off, the wire that went to the cig lighter is on something and I can't pull it off.... any ideas?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yup. You gotta take the cigarette lighter wire from a couple of places. One, the actual cigarette lighter plug that's on the back of piece #1 (The one with the shift boot). Two, the little side clip that's holding it to the back of piece #1. Three, the other two parts where it's held to console piece #3, one of which is a black oval-shaped clip, and unclips from the bottom. Hope that helps.

btw, I'm just telling you the way I did this, and hopefully your results will be as successful as mine, and nothing will break.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot... yea i didn't know if that came out or not it was giving some resistane(the oval shaped piece).... well im gonna try not to break anything and keep the black clips
lol

Thanks for the help!!!

Eric

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I'm to the part where it says twist the shifter cables (360 degrees). Isn't it 180 and what do I twist? So confused, lol, but I'm having a hell of a fun time doing it!!!!'

Eric

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
lol, Yeah...this was the part I skipped. It turns out it is supposed to be 180, not 360, but I couldn't get that to work either, so I just skipped that step and went on to unbolting the assembly.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then did u ever turn them?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nevermind I got it, it works really well if you use a screwdriver. I rotated it 180 degrees towards the driver's side. New problem though, how do you guys get the push nut off? I don't have a "cut tool"... any ideas?

Eric

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to the dealership and got that cut off somehow... but now my problem is that the dumb pivot holder won't come up with just a flat head screw driver... any ideas?

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
you have to unbolt the assembly for the B&M? that sucks..haha
Goodluck eric..todl u the console was a bitch

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally posted by buderic@Dec 28 2005, 03:01 PM
I went to the dealership and got that cut off somehow... but now my problem is that the dumb pivot holder won't come up with just a flat head screw driver... any ideas?
Yeah, that one was kinda annoying. If you can fit 2 screwdrivers in there, one from each side, and just push down on it to pull the ring up, that's what worked for me.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally posted by ALaS@Dec 28 2005, 03:03 PM
you have to unbolt the assembly for the B&M? that sucks..haha
Goodluck eric..todl u the console was a bitch
Yeah, to put in those spacers, which I think help keep the shifter height the same as stock...I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.