Scion tC Forums banner

Installed XM antenna/tuner

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  zoltiz 
#1 ·
I took the XM out of the RSX and set about installing it in the tC. The first problem was attaching the antenna to the car. It is held on by a strong magnet...which doesn't work on glass. After looking the car over, I decided to put it up there anyway. I placed it a few inches in front of the hatch and taped it down with electrical tape. I used tape on the RSX and weather didn't affect it much and it didn't harm the finish.

I ran the wires through the hatch area and under the seats. I have pictures if anyone wants to see them.

I set the tuner under the drivers seat and ran wires through the console.

Finally, I set a piece of metal at the top of the storage bin and velcroed the remote to it. I ran all the cables through this area (including radar detector) so the area is cable free.

I have additional pic of the install if anybody want to see them. XM works fine.

See less See more
#3 ·
You can see the detector plugin in the second pic. I cut a notch in the roof of the storage bin and ran the cord for the tuner and the detector through it. From there it goes to the glovebox and I ran it up the left side of the glovebox door. From there it is visible on up to the detector. The detector looks very cool sitting above the dash.

#9 ·

Always be sure your cord doesn't go over painted silver trim. Over time, as the cord bounces, it will rub the paint off (learned that the hard way). Once the cord gets to the glove box, it is hidden in the door crease.

The detector reminds me of a spaceship flying low over the ground... Looks better in person.

#10 ·
Hmmm.... I hate cords, lol.

For some reason I thought you ran up all the way up the dash and came out somewhere near the windshield.

I think I will have to cough up the big bucks for a cordless one.

#11 ·
You can access the center vent with the console cover off... and the defroster vent is up by the glass... but, I don't know if the center vent connects with the defroster vent. My guess would be no, since they blow air at different times. But, if you could get to the defroster vent, you might be able to run the cord there. Sure would look better than what I did...

#12 ·
Originally posted by oldster@Aug 18 2004, 04:20 PM
I took the XM out of the RSX and set about installing it in the tC. The first problem was attaching the antenna to the car. It is held on by a strong magnet...which doesn't work on glass. After looking the car over, I decided to put it up there anyway. I placed it a few inches in front of the hatch and taped it down with electrical tape. I used tape on the RSX and weather didn't affect it much and it didn't harm the finish.
Why not try some 3m double sided tape. The electrical tape is backyard. The display mount is clean though.

#14 ·
Will be adding a Delphi SkyFi SA50000 XM receiver in my car this weekend. I purchased the XM receiver for itself from eBay for $64, and I also had to order a part to run from the back of the stock head unit and through the dash to the receiver ($42) -- that way I can get digital sound and still be able to take my XM receiver out of the car and listen to it elsewhere. I will also have to buy the car kit ($70) to hook all of this up -- it includes the cradle (which connects to the proprietary connector on the receiver), a power adaptor, and an XM antenna. I will be paying about $30 to get the wire installed.

So, that's a total of about $206 to get a nice XM setup. Now, I just hope that the adaptor they ordered me will fit my head unit. :/

I'll keep you posted.

#15 ·
I bought a used Scion XM kit (that was taken out of xB). Kinda hoped it would be the same kit that they sell for tC - tough luck. The antenna is too big to fit in the "recommended" spot (behind stock AM/FM antenna). So I had the same problem as you with glass roof and a magnet. Ended up using 3M mouning tape (the clear gummy kind). Works perfect. The antenna is now on the roof (same spot as yours), wires are running through the c-pillar under the front pass seat. The rest is "scion approved" - stock HU controls and displays XM stations. 3x6 presets, so not too bad for $200 I guess...

First attempt at mounting the antenna (that was as far as it would reach with routing the wires via a grommet inside the bumper:

That's where I ended up putting it:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.