Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i installed a injen cold air intake and a weapon r header with the check engine light eliminator drove it around for 50 miles no CEL driving back from my girlfriends around 3 it threw a code. I did not reset the ecu or anything should i start with that? I was looking at another forum and they were saying that i may need another CEL eliminator. also the diagram weapon r sent to me showed the CEL eliminator was installed underneath the car but on the header there would be a hole..... I have the morning to fix it then wait till tuesday because most places r going to be closed monday. any one else have this issue with there install?

·
Registered
189 Posts
On the header you just simply put the O2 sensor. You put the CEL eliminator on the s-pipe along with the O2 sensor. Sounds like you installed the eliminator on the header unless I misread it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
you will struggle with throwing a CEL the entire time you have a header

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
Well step 1 is finding out which code it is setting. Dont reset it before pulling the code.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i put the cel on the header where that hole was. should i move it to the s pipe under neath the car? and i reset the ecu with out pulling the code

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
you will struggle with throwing a CEL the entire time you have a header
this is wrong.

OP, antifouler is not installed on the header, it is installed on the second sensor.. the whole idea of the item is to create more space from the piping so that the sensor "thinks" that the exhaust is "cleaner".

·
Registered
413 Posts
after a header and cai install should you get a tune? from what ive heard, the cel will always be on after you install a header

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
only tune your car if you're boosted.

foques - im just basing off of personal experience and everyone else i know who had a header - it will pop up every now and then

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
only tune your car if you're boosted.

foques - im just basing off of personal experience and everyone else i know who had a header - it will pop up every now and then
Then, perhaps, you need to talk to shops who actually know what they are doing..

none of my cars (sans the current one) had cats.. My tC had the cat removed about 2 months into ownership. Never had a CEL "pop up" for me even "every not and then".

Tune on an N/A car after a full exhaust/intake can prove to be beneficial, but with tC, the gains will be minimal either way; tuned or not.

·
Registered
413 Posts
so basically do everything correctly and younshould have no problems haha.

Foques, did you have a header and cai in your tc? if so did you do all of your own installations?

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
I had it all on my tC.. a header at one point,a turbo at another..

I was a part of the team that owned a shop at the time; yes I did a lot of work on my own, but our mechanic helped me a bit as well with more complex installs.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
no shop touched my car when the header was on. im just tellin the OP the same thing happened to me, and its not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i understand that the cel goes on the 2nd o2 sensor but what to i put in the hole on the header? just leave it open???? i did the install with one of my friends that knows how to work on cars I'm decently handy around cars as well never did a header install before tho.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
there are two banks for the sensors - one on the header, and one on the s-pipe.
You need to put your original sensor into your header.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so take the factory sensor off the factory header put it on the new one and then move the cel eliminator to the s pipe?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tried taking the eliminator out of the header. gonna have to remove the header or just buy another eliminator. i don't mind spending the money the weapon r one is around 55 ish i saw the vibrant one is available but I'm not sure which one will fit the tc.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
get one from autozone for like 4.99.. they all do the same thing - create more space between the sensor and pipe

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
You still use BOTH O2 sensors. The primary goes in the header, the secondary screws into the eliminator which screws into the s pipe. You can use an antifouler like foques said. If one dies not work, you can "stack" 2 of them for 10 bucks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts