Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the K&N Cold Air Intake a few weeks ago. It makes the Scion tC sound MEAN. I can tell a lot of difference in speed on the Top End. It's still slow when you first go, but when it reaches 40 it gets to 60+ in a matter of seconds. It adds a lot.

It started rattling after a few days, and I didn't pay much attention to it. Then I looked at it, and I could see that the metal inside right above the intake was like eating away at the pipe. So I wedged some cloth in between and it doesn't make a sound now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
ooh i like that... is the K&N the way to go?

I'm gonna put a CAI in my car very soon... just need to decide on which one : /.

·
Registered
172 Posts
by the way.... dust that poor engine, will ya?

at LEAST do it before taking close-up pics

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I have an Automatic. I was wondering if I was going to get a lot of crap for having an Automatic, and I'm fixing it up like this. What are your opinion on this?
And I will Dust next time! lol
1) I purchased this at www.ajusa.com
2) it cost like $250 for shipping and everything i think. It took a long time to get it because they (like every other store) was on back order.
3) It took me and my brother in law like 3 hours to get it on. Because it's such an ass.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i have the same intake and ran into the same rattling/rubbing problem, there was no way to adjust the height, but i just use some of the extra rubber hose they sent witht the kit, instead of cloth......

and i must agree this intake is awesome

·
Registered
160 Posts
The K&N doesn't have a bypass valve right? Does it go as low as the little air scoop? I was about to buy one and last week it just poured rain and on some of the streets the water was up to those scoops. So I decided to wait and see if one would come out with a bypass valve. If it doesn't come with one is it possible to get one installed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
the AEM is supposed to give more horses all the way through, not just at top end. Don't know if it's true. I installed the K&N Typhoon myself and it took about 4 hrs. Pain in the ass. I like the results. Not just for the performance, it also makes the engine look cleaner, without all the plastic from the old intake.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by ZEROmotorsports@Jun 7 2005, 02:06 PM
you can buy a bypass valve from aem...u simply cut the intake pipe and use it as a coupler.
The cold air intakes are two pieces so you take the rubber coupler off & install the by-pass valve in it's place... no need to cut the intake at all.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Any way... the only by-pass valves I've found from AEM are 2.5".... if I'm not mistaken... the Injen is 3" & I'm not too sure what the K&N is... there's some on eBay that have different sizes & don't cost as much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.