Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
searching > my face... [email protected]

o well, after visiting the track tonight i think i am in need of something to get rid of that [email protected] wheel hop... killed my 60' time every pass... i think when i head out next time ill try lance's ideas of dropping tire pressure (ill bring a bike pump or the air compressor my uncle uses for painting with his airbrush) and maybe try disconnecting the sways (esp. since i dont have the stock ones anymore)...

any other ideas on how to lower my ¼ time?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Practice and upgraded motor mounts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old tread but I just installed my "stiffy" over the weekend and want to let everyone know that I think this thing is AWESOME. No more wheel hop so the wheels can do there job and get me off the line quicker. Now after seeing how well the "stiffy" works motor mounts sound like they'll make the car perform better too but so far I can't find any for the tC. Does anyone know were I can find motor mounts for the tC?

·
Registered
271 Posts
so has anybody tried this "stiffy" out? i would definatley be interested if i saw how the brackets mount to the car...

·
Registered
271 Posts
guess nobady has tried it...

·
Registered
125 Posts
the stifler page here is some thoughts on it also someone did a review on it in this site to but that was before they were out now there out and are about 150 bucks from zpiracing.net and i think its free shipping the ony thing they recomend doign is using somethink like dynamat so that the sound does not vibrate to much into the cab of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Here's where they're mounted. It looks as though if you have a strut bar you can't use this at the same time.

Ingalls SCION tC Stiffy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by onefunkyfreshdj@Feb 11 2006, 09:42 AM
Here's where they're mounted. It looks as though if you have a strut bar you can't use this at the same time.
most of the strut bars you can use them with the stiffy.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, you can. still, that puts your strut bar at an angle to the other strut because of two brackets on one side. also, we have to question how many thread turn we are getting with two brackets on there.
big difference between you can do it, and you should do it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you have some time to kill just pull your motor mounts, front and rear(we do the drivers side one as well) and fill them with two part eurathane. We just did ours, have done a few over the years, this is the product we use.

Devcon Flexane 80, 1lb kit, will do two cars if just doing the fronts and backs. Cost is around $30, if anybody is going to do this I will post a simple how to. Far superior to any other "damper" and only adds a few oz to the weight of the car, no fitment issues with STB's.

BUT, you need to have your car down a couple of days or so. Pull the mounts(rear one is a bit tricky) which you can do without any kind of brace, hoist, etc, fill and let sit overnight then bake at 150 degrees for 24 hours to fully cure it.

We will know soon if to stiff with this particular durometer(stiffness) and will post mods if needed to make them a tad bit softer.

Or wait for the ZPI inserts, still better than a damper, for true performance at least.

Rick

·
Registered
125 Posts
so from what i understand the engine mounts from zpi would be better then the stiffy? and how hard would install be? do i have to take the mounts out??? and which one reduces engine movment more??

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Is there a hidden meaning behind the different numbers of "?"s?

Anyways, motor mounts are always better than dampeners. Dampeners are "band-aid" solutions. The true problem is the weak OEM motor mounts. It's only a problem for the go-fast types as the go-get-grocery types prefer the comfort in a free moving engine. Basically, the torque that would normally power the car, is used to move the engine. With either solution, all that movement is transferred as vibrations into the chassis of the car. With dampeners, it's felt more unless you get some kind of vibrational dampening mat (I recommend RAAMmat BXT - ask [email protected]!)

Well anyways, dampeners, such as the Stiffy, work by pushing the engine back. That's a fine solution but the eurothane motor mounts fix the problem; they don't allow the engine to move in the first place.

The install is pretty difficult as it requires the mounts to be revealed and removed and taken to a press to get the new mounts in place.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Feb 13 2006, 12:36 AM
Is there a hidden meaning behind the different numbers of "?"s?
yeah 2 ?? are like.. i think iknow but not sure... one is i have no idea... or i just like ? marks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.