Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our car's door plaque doesn't have any specs for people who plus-sized to 18 inches (nor does the manual). I currently have my setup, 225/40/18s on 18x8.5s at 33/30 front/rear, but I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations other than that? The plaque indicates 32/29 for the stock 17", and my dealer had done the incredible thing of inflating my 18" tires to 36/37 front/rear!!!
I went ahead and bled it back out to 33/30, but I don't know if I should've left more in there. The ride is much better now but it seems, when cornering sharply at lower speeds (like around city block corners) that they may be a little bit too soft. So, I'm asking my fellow tC owners: how much air for 18s?

-Ed

EDIT: Yes, I tried to do a search, but I got more stuff on gas price inflation than tire inflation, and the only mention of tire inflation didn't state anything specific.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
One quick and easy way to do this (from Mani Jayasinghe of Supra fame) is to take white shoe polish and paint a stripe across the tread. Now go for a short drive at your normal speeds. Check the stripe. If it is completely evenly worn, your pressure is right. If it is more worn in the middle, it's too high. If it's more worn on the shoulders (edges), then it's too low.

It's pretty effective and gets you right into the ballpark quickly.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks; I like this idea, and Mani is definitely someone to learn from if anybody is.

Now if only I actually had some white shoe polish...

-Ed

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Sorry, I won't go to the store for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.