Scion tC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Sep 8 2005, 03:49 PM
Oh, AND I must also add:

d's driving is top notch. I have been with him in a car many times. If he said he was unable to avoid the massive tire that came hurling towards him, I have no doubt that he speaks the truth.

d is the kind of person who can admit when he makes a mistake. I respect your opinion about DC driving and what-not but, please remember there are still a handful of drivers out there that don't suck. d is one of them.
I doubt that he was lying either when he said that he could not avoid the tire on the road. I am pretty sure that he's a good driver and that he ain't suck.

However, driving defensively and not following the truck in the first place could make a big different. Didn't you learn that in driver's ed ???

Let me ask you guys a simple question, why follow the darn truck in the first place anyway ???

You don't have to be a great driver to drive smart, remember. You just need to use your head.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
man, for someone who wasnt there, you sure do have all the answers, samsingha. funny, my insurance company called it a no fault. there was nothing careless about my driving. i wasnt following a semi truck. i was following a pickup truck. i wouldnt have been able to see the tire if i had been following another tC. and if he hadnt swerved, i would have had no indication, wait, why am i explaining myself to you?
so i guess you are the guy that never gets caught by surprise anytime in your life, even when you are doing everything right. congratulations. you are the best driver ever because you always follow the 2 second rule from driver's ed.
bottom line, you werent there. so what makes you qualified to assess the situation? oh, thats right. nothing.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Sep 7 2005, 04:45 PM
and with the lanes next to me filled up, i couldnt have swerved far enough anyway without causing an accident.
besides, dr driving skill, what would you have done? even if i was following a 4 second rule it wouldnt have changed the fact that over the tire was the best choice since there was no way out of that lane due to the other traffic. so, i guess you would have had time to brake, avoiding a rear ending so common in L.A, while managing to create a hole in the lane next to you without cutting anyone off (so common in L.A) or causing an accident that could have injured people and destroyed more vehicles, while avoiding the tire and still calmly sipping on your mocha. sure.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Sep 8 2005, 01:06 PM
i am right with you and like i said b4 glad to see that you are ok and that the tC is fixable.
why thank you.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 8 2005, 01:07 PM
So, D, what happened behind you after you passed over the tire chunk? Was it more damaged cars, or a 6 lane pile up? I'm betting on more damaged cars...
the guy behind me actually kicked the tire into the next lane, into another car. after that, i couldnt tell what happened, too many bumpers and my eyes were on getting over far enough to exit and assess damages.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Sep 8 2005, 09:07 AM
^^^ gee, thanks, dad. you must not drive much in L.A. there is no following far enough behind. the second you give an inch, four assholes in hummers squeeze between you and the guy you were trailing, leaving you tailgating and, with all the traffic surrounding, with no room to go around. especially in the mid afternoon, when traffic is at its worst. you can lay down best case scenario all you want, but the fact is, for all anyone can do, there is that time you cant do a damn thing.
Totally true. Too many cars and trucks and not enough room to manuver. My friend just lost his lower lip to a box of floor tiles on the 60 FWY. It just appeared from under the truck in front of him and he took one for the team too. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Ken

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
here's what it looks like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 8 2005, 12:57 PM
Sam, I've been to Pattaya and seen Thai traffic. It's different, but predictable, and I am glad I didn't have to drive in it.
What you have on the East Coast that we don't have in the West is a sense of civility. For example, Californians will run up the merge lane and expect some poor soul who's been waiting for an age in traffic to let him/her in while all the lanes are stopped just to get ahead of a few cars. I had one guy get so pissed off when I refused to let him in, that he rolled down his window and started yelling at me. This sense of self-importance governs nearly all driving in California, so if you give the slightest hint of an opportunity, someone will take it and jam right in front of you. Yes, our SUV/truck population out here is ABSURD. In one week I had lifted pickup trucks run me onto the shoulder three times because they completely failed to look before executing a lane change into me. No fault of mine, they completely failed to see me.
While it would be wonderful to take a Zen master approach to driving in California, doing so would add a 50% time tax to any trip during moderate to heavy traffic. You set up your following distance, and sure enough, someone jumps in it, so you reset your following distance, and suffer the same discourteous act over and over again. This happens routinely. In many cases in NorCal it is actually faster to use the right lane aggressively than to try and maintain a constant safety envelope in the fast lane. Everyone seems to want to hang out in the left lane, and of course, there is nothing to discourage this, so the whole system is subverted and fails where it really needs to work. I have not seen this same kind of blatant aggression on the East Coast, and definitely not in the Midwest.

I'm not talking out my ass, I've driven all over the world on both sides of the road in a variety of vehicles both left and right-hand drive. California is unique in many ways, and it takes time to understand the unwritten rules of the road, just like anywhere else.
FWIW, I never drive next to, or behind a semi if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to avoid it, even when trying your best.
You make it sound like you believe Thailand is some "Candy Cane Fairy Land" where there aren't selfish, aggressive people who think they are better than someone else, which leads me to say one thing:

BWaaaaHAHAHAHAHA!

You must've spent one really good day in Pattaya. I won't ask what you were doing there. I don't want to know! And somehow, in your time there you managed to not see one Thai Cabbie. Amazing! Pattaya AIN'T Bangkok, where he's from, either. Pattaya City has only 65,000 (20,000 of whom are estimated by a U.N. survey to be working in the sex trade, BTW) and is primarily a beach resort town. Bangkok is what, 9 MILLION? You might as well be comparing Daytona Beach to New York City when you compare Pattaya to Bangkok.

Fact is, LA is one of the most cross-cultural cities on the planet Earth. Period. What you see in LA is the population of the WORLD, all getting together with the some of the finest (and some of the worst) examples of horsepower engineering that Japan, Germany, Great Britain, Korea, Italy and the Good Ol' [email protected]&%ing-A can produce in one car-crazy town.

(singing)
"We are the WORLD...We are the CHILDR--Hey! Get that F#&%* ricer Sh&^ off the ROAD!"

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 8 2005, 02:05 PM
Australia/New Zealand. I'm working on that.

D, don't let them keep that broken bumper, I bet it can be repaired, and would make a fine addition to the spare parts collection for things like track days where this kind of damage is more common...
no doubt. i have no intention of letting that bumper go in the recycle bin.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Originally posted by TopeExplosivo+Sep 8 2005, 02:37 PM-->QUOTE (TopeExplosivo @ Sep 8 2005, 02:37 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-lo bux racer
@Sep 8 2005, 12:57 PM
Sam, I've been to Pattaya and seen Thai traffic.  It's different, but predictable, and I am glad I didn't have to drive in it.
What you have on the East Coast that we don't have in the West is a sense of civility.  For example, Californians will run up the merge lane and expect some poor soul who's been waiting for an age in traffic to let him/her in while all the lanes are stopped just to get ahead of a few cars.  I had one guy get so pissed off when I refused to let him in, that he rolled down his window and started yelling at me. This sense of self-importance governs nearly all driving in California, so if you give the slightest hint of an opportunity, someone will take it and jam right in front of you.  Yes, our SUV/truck population out here is ABSURD.  In one week I had lifted pickup trucks run me onto the shoulder three times because they completely failed to look before executing a lane change into me.  No fault of mine, they completely failed to see me.
While it would be wonderful to take a Zen master approach to driving in California, doing so would add a 50% time tax to any trip during moderate to heavy traffic.  You set up your following distance, and sure enough, someone jumps in it, so you reset your following distance, and suffer the same discourteous act over and over again.  This happens routinely.  In many cases in NorCal it is actually faster to use the right lane aggressively than to try and maintain a constant safety envelope in the fast lane.  Everyone seems to want to hang out in the left lane, and of course, there is nothing to discourage this, so the whole system is subverted and fails where it really needs to work.  I have not seen this same kind of blatant aggression on the East Coast, and definitely not in the Midwest.

I'm not talking out my ass, I've driven all over the world on both sides of the road in a variety of vehicles both left and right-hand drive.  California is unique in many ways, and it takes time to understand the unwritten rules of the road, just like anywhere else.
FWIW, I never drive next to, or behind a semi if I can avoid it.  Unfortunately, it is not always possible to avoid it, even when trying your best.
You make it sound like you believe Thailand is some "Candy Cane Fairy Land" where there aren't selfish, aggressive people who think they are better than someone else, which leads me to say one thing:

BWaaaaHAHAHAHAHA!

You must've spent one really good day in Pattaya. I won't ask what you were doing there. I don't want to know! And somehow, in your time there you managed to not see one Thai Cabbie. Amazing! Pattaya AIN'T Bangkok, where he's from, either. Pattaya City has only 65,000 (20,000 of whom are estimated by a U.N. survey to be working in the sex trade, BTW) and is primarily a beach resort town. Bangkok is what, 9 MILLION? You might as well be comparing Daytona Beach to New York City when you compare Pattaya to Bangkok.

Fact is, LA is one of the most cross-cultural cities on the planet Earth. Period. What you see in LA is the population of the WORLD, all getting together with the some of the finest (and some of the worst) examples of horsepower engineering that Japan, Germany, Great Britain, Korea, Italy and the Good Ol' [email protected]&%ing-A can produce in one car-crazy town.

(singing)
"We are the WORLD...We are the CHILDR--Hey! Get that F#&%* ricer Sh&^ off the ROAD!"
[/b]
first off, sometimes people grab the ball and then run in the entirely wrong direction.

second - can i have just one f#cking thread that doesnt turn into an off-topic pissing contest? you want to debate the finer points of traffic thailand? start a thread about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 8 2005, 02:47 PM
You have no idea what I've seen or where I've been. And I certainly didn't say Pattaya is a "Candy Cane Fairy Land". You did. It's predictable traffic. Just like Seoul, Tokyo, London, Athens, and a few other places I've driven.
Go easy, man. Seriously.

I frankly don't care where you've been or what you do. You are just some random stranger on the internet who has a Scion tC to me.

My comments were meant to be taken in good humor, (see the smileys, the jokes, the song at the end) not a challenge to your manhood, or your status as an expert world traveller, or whatever.

I just thought it was funny that you somehow think you can school the guy WHO'S FROM BANGKOK about the predictable nature Thai traffic, because you've been to Pattaya, which is so obviously and completely different from every "normal" city in Thailand, much less Bangkok, that is all.

That would be just as silly as me thinking all Californians are humorless jerks just because you jumped down my throat for pointing those differences out while trying to have some fun and make some jokes.

Perhaps you are just upset that someone called you on the fact that the one place in Thailand you chose to visit is the world's biggest whorehouse. I don't care what you did there, it is none of my business, and I don't judge how people want to party, as long as you weren't down there buying little boys, which I assumed you hadn't. I got to travel around Thailand a bit with my former Muay Thai coach, and it was pretty serious business most of the time, so I have a bit of a different perspective perhaps.

Sorry, but I thought sharing different perspectives, hopefully with a sense of humor, were what forums like these were all about. I've been lurking here for a long time and I thought this was a more friendly place than this.

Sorry about the car, inevitablegod. Just for the record, I didn't start out highjacking this thread, and I certainly don't agree with the guy saying it was somehow your fault. I was just trying to have a little fun here pointing out the cultural "painting with a broad brush" that was going on here, that's all. Sorry again about everything.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
^^^ its all good with me. the place is friendly. but not without some other stuff thrown in now and again.
you dont need to apologize to me for anything. i understand what you are saying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the understanding.

If they let you keep the old bumper, you could use that to mold your own custom front kit. It still looks pretty straight in the pic.

Of course I'm only looking at it from one angle, and we all know how dangerous that can be...

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well. i could easily repair it and use it to make a nice one off front bumper. at the very least, it could be my long trip bumper so the same thing doesnt happen to the new one i get for it. keeping it wont be a problem, one of the benefits to being a dealer is having a good relationship with the local body shops. they will let me keep any parts i want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would be pissed if I were you!!
I can't think of a better way to say this but this avatar might suit you better.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.