Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 8 2005, 12:57 PM
Sam, I've been to Pattaya and seen Thai traffic. It's different, but predictable, and I am glad I didn't have to drive in it.
What you have on the East Coast that we don't have in the West is a sense of civility. For example, Californians will run up the merge lane and expect some poor soul who's been waiting for an age in traffic to let him/her in while all the lanes are stopped just to get ahead of a few cars. I had one guy get so pissed off when I refused to let him in, that he rolled down his window and started yelling at me. This sense of self-importance governs nearly all driving in California, so if you give the slightest hint of an opportunity, someone will take it and jam right in front of you. Yes, our SUV/truck population out here is ABSURD. In one week I had lifted pickup trucks run me onto the shoulder three times because they completely failed to look before executing a lane change into me. No fault of mine, they completely failed to see me.
While it would be wonderful to take a Zen master approach to driving in California, doing so would add a 50% time tax to any trip during moderate to heavy traffic. You set up your following distance, and sure enough, someone jumps in it, so you reset your following distance, and suffer the same discourteous act over and over again. This happens routinely. In many cases in NorCal it is actually faster to use the right lane aggressively than to try and maintain a constant safety envelope in the fast lane. Everyone seems to want to hang out in the left lane, and of course, there is nothing to discourage this, so the whole system is subverted and fails where it really needs to work. I have not seen this same kind of blatant aggression on the East Coast, and definitely not in the Midwest.

I'm not talking out my ass, I've driven all over the world on both sides of the road in a variety of vehicles both left and right-hand drive. California is unique in many ways, and it takes time to understand the unwritten rules of the road, just like anywhere else.
FWIW, I never drive next to, or behind a semi if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to avoid it, even when trying your best.
You make it sound like you believe Thailand is some "Candy Cane Fairy Land" where there aren't selfish, aggressive people who think they are better than someone else, which leads me to say one thing:

BWaaaaHAHAHAHAHA!

You must've spent one really good day in Pattaya. I won't ask what you were doing there. I don't want to know! And somehow, in your time there you managed to not see one Thai Cabbie. Amazing! Pattaya AIN'T Bangkok, where he's from, either. Pattaya City has only 65,000 (20,000 of whom are estimated by a U.N. survey to be working in the sex trade, BTW) and is primarily a beach resort town. Bangkok is what, 9 MILLION? You might as well be comparing Daytona Beach to New York City when you compare Pattaya to Bangkok.

Fact is, LA is one of the most cross-cultural cities on the planet Earth. Period. What you see in LA is the population of the WORLD, all getting together with the some of the finest (and some of the worst) examples of horsepower engineering that Japan, Germany, Great Britain, Korea, Italy and the Good Ol' [email protected]&%ing-A can produce in one car-crazy town.

(singing)
"We are the WORLD...We are the CHILDR--Hey! Get that F#&%* ricer Sh&^ off the ROAD!"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 8 2005, 02:47 PM
You have no idea what I've seen or where I've been. And I certainly didn't say Pattaya is a "Candy Cane Fairy Land". You did. It's predictable traffic. Just like Seoul, Tokyo, London, Athens, and a few other places I've driven.
Go easy, man. Seriously.

I frankly don't care where you've been or what you do. You are just some random stranger on the internet who has a Scion tC to me.

My comments were meant to be taken in good humor, (see the smileys, the jokes, the song at the end) not a challenge to your manhood, or your status as an expert world traveller, or whatever.

I just thought it was funny that you somehow think you can school the guy WHO'S FROM BANGKOK about the predictable nature Thai traffic, because you've been to Pattaya, which is so obviously and completely different from every "normal" city in Thailand, much less Bangkok, that is all.

That would be just as silly as me thinking all Californians are humorless jerks just because you jumped down my throat for pointing those differences out while trying to have some fun and make some jokes.

Perhaps you are just upset that someone called you on the fact that the one place in Thailand you chose to visit is the world's biggest whorehouse. I don't care what you did there, it is none of my business, and I don't judge how people want to party, as long as you weren't down there buying little boys, which I assumed you hadn't. I got to travel around Thailand a bit with my former Muay Thai coach, and it was pretty serious business most of the time, so I have a bit of a different perspective perhaps.

Sorry, but I thought sharing different perspectives, hopefully with a sense of humor, were what forums like these were all about. I've been lurking here for a long time and I thought this was a more friendly place than this.

Sorry about the car, inevitablegod. Just for the record, I didn't start out highjacking this thread, and I certainly don't agree with the guy saying it was somehow your fault. I was just trying to have a little fun here pointing out the cultural "painting with a broad brush" that was going on here, that's all. Sorry again about everything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the understanding.

If they let you keep the old bumper, you could use that to mold your own custom front kit. It still looks pretty straight in the pic.

Of course I'm only looking at it from one angle, and we all know how dangerous that can be...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Sep 8 2005, 08:58 PM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Sep 8 2005, 08:58 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TopeExplosivo
@Sep 8 2005, 04:48 PM
Perhaps you are just upset that someone called you on the fact that the one place in Thailand you chose to visit is the world's biggest whorehouse.  I don't care what you did there, it is none of my business, and I don't judge how people want to party, as long as you weren't down there buying little boys, which I assumed you hadn't.  I got to travel around Thailand a bit with my former Muay Thai coach, and it was pretty serious business most of the time, so I have a bit of a different perspective perhaps.
Do you pay taxes? You paid for the trip. Thanks! It was part of an around the world tour from Sacramento to Kadena AB, Okinawa; to Utapao AB/Pattaya, to Diego Garcia (garden spot of the IO); to Harare, Zimbabwe; to Dakar, Senegal; to Cape Canaveral, Florida; to San Antonio, Texas; and finally back to Sacramento.

I was part of an Air Force aircrew flying missions out of Utapao. Did I GO to get laid? No. Did I get laid? No, it's not my thing. I didn't swim in the water because it's full of raw sewage, I didn't do any of the tourist stuff except go to a club with some friends one night. And damn sure no, I didn't get in the ring to get my ass kicked by a local kickboxer.

So who called me on what again? And how is your perspective any different than mine? [/b]
What part of "I don't care what you did there" was so hard to understand?

I tried to explain I was joking around (that's why I used multiple smileys and a goofy song parody in my first post) and I tried to get this back on topic. I don't know what else I can do since you are so absolutely DETERMINED to be a jerk.

Nice to know there are SOME nice people around here, though. I'll just choose to ignore you from now on, you can ignore me, and we'll call it a day. Or you can continue to be a surly and not let it go. It's up to you, and thanks to people like you who served, it is still a free country and you can do as you please. As for me, this is my last reply to you. You may have the last word if you wish.

Inevitablegod: My studio is right across the street from an excellent bodyshop that does a bunch of work by hand on classics, exotics, and other things I cannot afford. Over the last few years, I've gotten to know them, so I know how nice those kinds of friendships can be. Work in trade rocks. I've got a long-term 1st Gen Z project going on (and off...and on, and off) and they have really helped me with everything from how to not buy a rust bucket (you've got to look in specific places where it tends to hide on those cars) to teaching me some minor and not-so-minor bodyworking skills.

I'd seriously consider doing a custom, one-off kit with that thing if I were in your shoes with your resources as a dealer. It wouldn't even need to be that radical. I've seen somebody around here or on that other site with a photoshop of the current bumper, but just stretched down a bit. It looked so sick, yet it was so perfect with the design of the tC, (which I think is really beautifully designed,) that you couldn't really tell what was so different about it. That's what I'd like to do. I guess I'd need to learn to glass first though!

Either that, or something like those touring kits you see on baddass Audi Quatros sometimes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nope. Texas. Like I said though, I'd have to learn to glass from scratch, so I might not be the best parter anyway. I do have pretty proper prep, filling, sanding, and priming skills, so I wouldn't be totally useless. In fact, I'm the only person I know who actually enjoys stick sanding! The only thing I don't think I'd trust myself with is shooting final paint/clear at this point. I need a lot (say about 100 years) more gun time with a proper HVLP setup before I'd trust myself to paint something major on my car.

I do like your idea of actually using the ducting for brake cooling. Who'da thunk it?

Actually, it sounds like we are talking about the exact same thing. After all, our cars were designed by actual car designers, and those guys did a pretty great job if you ask me. Some guys just cant wait to change it radically, and if that makes them happy, great. I'm kind of leaning toward modding things in a more subtle fashion, so it's still different and personal, but still reflects the expertise/vision of the designers.

Plus, as I read the other thread about the anti-modding crusade in California, I think subtle is probably better for y'all at this point anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.