Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's been my driving practice NOT to drive behind big trucks or big cars. You cannot see past them and it makes it hard to avoid the trouble in front.

If I have to follow a truck, I'd back off far enough for me to have enought time to react.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Sep 8 2005, 01:07 PM
^^^ gee, thanks, dad.  you must not drive much in L.A.  there is no following far enough behind.  the second you give an inch, four assholes in hummers squeeze between you and the guy you were trailing, leaving you tailgating and, with all the traffic surrounding, with no room to go around.  especially in the mid afternoon, when traffic is at its worst.  you can lay down best case scenario all you want, but the fact is, for all anyone can do, there is that time you cant do a damn thing.
I do drive in DC and although the traffic probably is not as bad but it's on the list of the top 10 worst traffic in America, kiddo.

I said that my rule is NOT to follow big truck because you cannot see out front. If they come in front of me, I simply try to keep distance and change lane as soon as I can. Why follow them? Driving like that and you might as well drive blind.

I don't have a problem if I need to follow other cars up close as long as I can see what's ahead. If the traffic is light, I'll be quite far. 2 seconds rule, remember ?

But when rush hours come, and I cannot leave so much room, I would CHOOSE the car I drive behind and certainly it ain't gonna be no truck or an 18-wheeler.

And you can make as many excuses as you want, but the fact is that as long as you don't use your head, the results can be ugly.

Don't be ticked off by my comments just because you messed up your car and have no one to be ticked off at but yourself. I'm speaking the truth and you know it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 8 2005, 03:37 PM
Nope.  You just don't understand California traffic.  I've driven in DC many times.  It's a cakewalk compared to LA at rush hour.  I could go into a long discussion about East Coast and West Coast driving, but suffice it to say, there is no fair comparison.  Your style would not work here.
Not driving behind a big truck is impossible in LA ??? Is everyone on the road driving a truck out there ???

Be serious. I know that there are times when the traffic is so bad that you cannot keep a good distance in front of you. If so, let it be as long as the THING in front of you is a big truck or some big SUV that you cannot see over.

If you have a big truck in front of you and you still keep insisting on following it, there isn't much anyone can do.

BTW, LA is a cake walk compared to Bangkok my home town where a 2-lane traffic can turn into a 3 or 4-lane traffic at any time. Other than that, you have a bunch of motocycles zig-zagging among cars that you have to worry about. Over there, the rush hour is 24/7
but, people there hardly get into any serious accidents because they are MORE careful. This is at a place where it has been said to have the worst traffic in the world.

Confess it, you guys just got spoiled driving in such a good traffic that you become more careless.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Sep 8 2005, 03:49 PM
Oh, AND I must also add:

d's driving is top notch. I have been with him in a car many times. If he said he was unable to avoid the massive tire that came hurling towards him, I have no doubt that he speaks the truth.

d is the kind of person who can admit when he makes a mistake. I respect your opinion about DC driving and what-not but, please remember there are still a handful of drivers out there that don't suck. d is one of them.
I doubt that he was lying either when he said that he could not avoid the tire on the road. I am pretty sure that he's a good driver and that he ain't suck.

However, driving defensively and not following the truck in the first place could make a big different. Didn't you learn that in driver's ed ???

Let me ask you guys a simple question, why follow the darn truck in the first place anyway ???

You don't have to be a great driver to drive smart, remember. You just need to use your head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.