Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everybody should just do self installs..i was already told by the general manager at Elk Grove Toyota (near Sacramento) that as long as you install strictly TRD parts you wont void your warranty..why pay an extra $200-300 on an install that you can do totally on your own? plus you gain experience..

·
Registered
121 Posts
some of us live in apartments and don't have all the proper tools to do everything ourselves. I will be taking my car to a shop to install my springs - no feasible way to do it myself.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats understandable

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55@Dec 13 2004, 10:25 PM
I plan to do every install myself...if I can. The springs are something I can't do myself.
I agree...its a little hard to install springs because I don't have the strut compressor or anything to really begin to install them myself.

Matt

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
You can rent a spring compressor from Autozone for less than $20. It's not the lack of tools limiting you, it's your confidence in completing the job right without breaking something expensive. There's good reason to be concerned about it too. Things can and do go wrong, even with all the right tools.

It's a lot smarter to pay someone to do it right once if you are unsure about the job, and some things like brakes, should never be done without an experienced person to oversee the job and ensure all is well when it is finished.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Exactly. All about confidence. At my job we're all supposed to know how to tear apart our 250,000$ chemistry analyzers and fix things that break with the direction of someone on the phone. However there are few of us that actually will do it. It's why the lab pays for a service contract. However, it's more fun to do it yourself if you've got the time, the patience, and no fear that you might break it further. But then that's what the service contract is for. My car, on the other hand... I would have to shell out more cash to fix something I broke. No backup for me on that one. I'll let professionals handle the tough jobs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
what you got over there, Labfish? Nuclear Resonance Spectrometer?

heh, takes me back to my chem days before ditching it all and deciding to produce television instead.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maybe he has a flux capacitor...

late

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Originally posted by gcue@Dec 14 2004, 09:32 AM
what you got over there, Labfish? Nuclear Resonance Spectrometer?
LoL...nah. Just two Dade Dimenxion RxL's. The actual cost to the hospital I dunno - they really kind of discount them since you have to pay out the a$$ for reagents for them. I would estimate that we spend about 750k-1mil for reagents for a year. But I could be off...I'm not one of the big wigs that put in the purchase orders.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Geek out at my house!!! i installed my own springs in my garage... i had the spring compressors, impact gun(electric) and i did it all by myself in like 3 hours, not bad considering its just me and the car lol

P.S. im going to be installing another set of springs on my tc very soon, the trds werent low enough for me, so i will be putting in teins

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 14 2004, 12:42 AM
You can rent a spring compressor from Autozone for less than $20. It's not the lack of tools limiting you, it's your confidence in completing the job right without breaking something expensive. There's good reason to be concerned about it too. Things can and do go wrong, even with all the right tools.

It's a lot smarter to pay someone to do it right once if you are unsure about the job, and some things like brakes, should never be done without an experienced person to oversee the job and ensure all is well when it is finished.
you arent going to get me to put my hands anywhere near one of those rental "spring compressors". (okay, just that once for wolo).
i bought a macpherson strut compressor the other day. hard-mounted it to the workbench in my garage. for me its not just having the tools, its having the RIGHT tools. safety first in my shop.
i DIY everything i put on my cars and bikes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
fancypants...

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Dec 15 2004, 05:05 PM
for me its not just having the tools, its having the RIGHT tools. safety first in my shop.
I DIY everything too, but that's not the point. People bring their stuff to me and ask me to make it faster too. I know two guys racing Supras with heads I did, and another good friend who's running one I did on the street for fun. I haven't even done my own yet...

AFA tools, yeah, SnapOn is my friend. All my torque wrenches are Snappy, and even a good share of the more unusual pieces I've needed over the years are Snappy. Yeah, I've still got some Craftsman stuff, but anything I buy these days is Snappy. It really does just work better and it saves me time. Lots of it!

Some guys couldn't tell you the difference between an open end and a box end. Those guys either need careful guidance, or they need to pay someone who is confident about completing the job without causing more grief than good.

The real truth is, you have no fear you can do the job with the right tools, but you also know how to improvise. I bet if I told you I'd give you $500 if you could take off a strut spring with three C clamps you'd be done in 5 minutes and say it was like taking candy from a baby.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod+Dec 15 2004, 06:05 PM-->QUOTE (inevitablegod @ Dec 15 2004, 06:05 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-lo bux racer
@Dec 14 2004, 12:42 AM
You can rent a spring compressor from Autozone for less than $20.  It's not the lack of tools limiting you, it's your confidence in completing the job right without breaking something expensive.  There's good reason to be concerned about it too.  Things can and do go wrong, even with all the right tools.

you arent going to get me to put my hands anywhere near one of those rental "spring compressors". (okay, just that once for wolo).
i bought a macpherson strut compressor the other day. hard-mounted it to the workbench in my garage. for me its not just having the tools, its having the RIGHT tools. safety first in my shop.
i DIY everything i put on my cars and bikes. [/b]
That spring compressors sucked man. Glad to see you've got the new one.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Dec 15 2004, 09:43 PM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Dec 15 2004, 09:43 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-inevitablegod
@Dec 15 2004, 05:05 PM
for me its not just having the tools, its having the RIGHT tools.  safety first in my shop.
I DIY everything too, but that's not the point. People bring their stuff to me and ask me to make it faster too. I know two guys racing Supras with heads I did, and another good friend who's running one I did on the street for fun. I haven't even done my own yet...

AFA tools, yeah, SnapOn is my friend. All my torque wrenches are Snappy, and even a good share of the more unusual pieces I've needed over the years are Snappy. Yeah, I've still got some Craftsman stuff, but anything I buy these days is Snappy. It really does just work better and it saves me time. Lots of it!

Some guys couldn't tell you the difference between an open end and a box end. Those guys either need careful guidance, or they need to pay someone who is confident about completing the job without causing more grief than good.

The real truth is, you have no fear you can do the job with the right tools, but you also know how to improvise. I bet if I told you I'd give you $500 if you could take off a strut spring with three C clamps you'd be done in 5 minutes and say it was like taking candy from a baby. [/b]
um, i am not sure what that was for, but the reason i broke paragraph there was cause it was a seperate thought. it wasnt a challenge, lance. i wasnt making a point by saying i DIY. it was in reference to a post just above.
my point was that your suggestion of those cheap and dangerous rental compressors is scary. thats all. no need to flex.

now, the real truth is, your $500 aint enough for me to risk c-clamps on a strut spring. because i dont take risks like that when there are sensible alternatives. and there always are. yeah, i can improvise with the best of them, but i dont believe in learning the tricks of the trade. i believe in learning the trade. its just a different view on things, man. not an attack. not an argument.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
No anger in that post, you haven't seen me pissed off yet. I just know you got skillz and no fear. Me too...

You'd love Supras. No spring compressor needed, they're not struts, they're coilover shocks, and they only have about 1/4" of preload. Easy no compressor remove and install. Tein HAs are even easier, just wind the preload ring down and disassemble...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.