Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have question. What should be the idle speed in neutral on the tc? When I first start up the engine it takes a few minutes to idle down, but after it does the idle bounces between 600 to 800 rpm's. Is this normal? My tc only has 500 miles on it and it runs smooth, accept for when you are at a complete stop.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It should not hunt idle, it should be steady. It is not possible to set it, it is controlled by the ECM. If yours is not steady, there is a problem to address. Take it in for service, this is not something for the home mechanic and you don't want to change anything related to engine control under warranty unless you are willing to forego warranty coverage for your power train.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Remember though, if you turn the steering wheel when the car is idling, it will bounce up the rpms due to engaging some force to assist you turning the wheel.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
And the a/c will cause the idle to change as it goes on and off. Were you running the a/c???

·
Registered
542 Posts
i've had my car's rpms sort of "bob" up and down when i put the clutch in and am still rolling. as soon as i stop moving it settles to where it's supposed to be. it only happens rarely though. do i need to have it investigated? closest dealer is an hour away. thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
^^^That's crazy! 2k definitely seems out of the ordinary. I have yet to notice anything like that with my idling.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I saw the same thing once. It was a fluke, or it's some weird thing the programmed into it to happen only once in a long while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.