Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid for Scion Security system... the actual system and not the one it comes with. I'm a little worried because I've read that it has shock sensors... I didn't think much about it but the other day a baseball landed on my windshield and cracked it and the thing didn't even go off. I check my documentation and found the alarm chip itself. Both come back to a Pursuit Series Model PRO 9232a. Is this what I am supposed to get when I pay for it? Reading through the documentation it doesn't seem to do anything beyond what the standard Scion security does (start kill with no/false key). There is nothing either to adjust the sensitivity with, and I pulled apart my golve compartment to find it, but it just wasn't there. The Pursuit box was just hanging above the fuse box. Just trying to see if I have been tricked.

*** I just read the installation instructions online and found out where the wiring comes out of the alarm box and goes "To Plugin Shock Sensor" and lo and behold there is nothing coming out of that port. I may have to bring it back and start bitching.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yeah, take it back, show them install instructions printout and ask WTF. Ask for free goodies for inconvenience.

Not sure if Pursiut and Toyota VIP are the same thing. Any alarm pros here?

·
Registered
515 Posts
The Pursuit Alarm is nothing more than keyless entry (which we all have) arm / rearm. But the computer can have stuff added to it. (for an extra fee) If you paid 500.00 for a keyless entry system that comes standard then yes you got ripped off. Take it back and talk to them, if they say they screwed up get your money back and buy a viper alarm.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So.. I went down to the dealership and was like "Yeah I paid for the Scion VIP system and all I got was this thing. It doesn't even have shock sensors. You guys put in the wrong alarm." to which they replied "VIP system? I don't know what you mean by that... hold on a minute (leaves room, comes back 5 minutes later). Yeah we don't even have the VIP system here. But, it seems that we were having a lot of complaints from our customers about the shock sensors so as a default we don't put them in. If you want to we can put them in for you." LOL Yeah ok, that's a good one... anyway, I told him I needed to do some more research on the VIP alarm system to make sure that everything it offers and supports I was going to get with this alternate one they actually put in.

So, I'm going back tomorrow, but I REALLY NEED to know what the VIP offers as far as features so I have a list to compare what they gave me with this alternate Pursuit system. Anyone have a formal (or informal) list of all its features?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Google it and you'll find what I did. The basic alarm is just keyless entry and a shock sensor. Why are you paying 500+ dollars for a car that by default the shock sensors arn't put in? You can buy modules for the alarm to add features but then your going to have to pay more. Really I suggest a Viper for 499 you get, remote start, pager, shock sensors, 64 bit tumbling key, pretty flashing light, lock unlock, and warranty for 2,800 dollars.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I can make this as painless as possible I would like to. Having them take it out and give me my money back is going to be a lot of paperwork and I think I'll lose money in the end. It's not just the cost of the alarm (which I figured out to be $489, but VIP is listed as $469), it's figuring out what the actual cost would be with interest over the 5 year payment plan I do. They can refund me the money sure, but what about the prefigured monthly payment I'm paying now?

If all they need to do is add shock sensors and it turns into a VIP system then that's fine with me. If I knew better when I purchased the car I wouldn't have put it in to begin with. Granted I can make some noise and have them take it out... I also googled it and couldn't come up with much of a list. What keywords did you use?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I have all the info I need on the Pursuit model... I need to know what the VIP model offers.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
You could always try to have them swap the alarm for something else, so if you are still making payments on it, no matter how small they are, you'll be paying for something rather than an alarm you no longer (or never) had... like TRD springs & sway bar? Refer them to Sparks - MSRP for the Hotchkis set is $525.90, but discounted price is $419... TRD springs MSRP is $199, Sparks price $138.50 & TRD rear sway bar MSRP is $165, Sparks price $129. Orrrr, the TRD springs/Hotchkis sway bar set MSRP $543, Sparks $410.......
I checked your profile and didn't see those listed, that's why I looked at those... & IMO they're must-haves

As for the alarm, you can get the Viper Model (forget the #) right below the the one w/ the pager, but allows you to add the pager module later & you'll save a bunch of money and have a better alarm that you can upgrade later

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well, I have install instructions up on the net - there are a couple of testing procedures:

http://zoltiz.com/cars/tc/files - look up the alarm install PDF and look for testing procedures in the end.

The alarm was supposed to have its own little manual, btw.

The easiest way to test if they even installed the alarm is to roll down your window, close the car, arm the alarm, wait 30 seconds, and then open the door from inside - you should get the flashy lights and screaming horns. If you did not get that - there is no alarm installed...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There IS an alarm installed.. it does all that.. it goes off when I open it from the inside.. the only thing I know FOR SURE that it doesnt have (that the VIP should - now remember I have the Pursuit installed) is the shock sensors. I just want to make sure that THAT is all I am missing. So if I let them put it in I will have the equivalent of what I SHOULD have had. I just need a list of features that the VIP system has to compare it to what I CURRENTLY have so I can tell them to either keep the system I have now or rip it out and install VIP.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Run through install instructions and check if that's what you have - that they used factory harnesses instead of splicing in the alarm, mounted the "brain" in the spot that's shown in the install pdf, ran the wires the same way - the works.

Not sure who makes the Scion alarm, but I've seen it called Toyota VIP (vehicle intrusion protecection) RS3200+

I don't have it myself, and I might be wrong, but it's a start.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No it's definitely not the VIP as the box for the Pursuit and its location are totally different than the installation instructions for the VIP alarm I found on this site. The alarm is spliced in it doesn't have a "factory" plug.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ok, then you have been scammed. As in you did not get the $500 Scion alarm option, instead it looks like you got a $100 alarm spliced into your car by the dealer... Go and kick some ass. Print out the PDF and ask them to show what they installed. I'd be extra pissed. Oh, and call Scion HQ, and let them know that the dealer is trying to defraud you... Uhh I wish I was there

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, so I took it back and they ended up adding a shock sensor to the current setup. It works alright (dual stage sensor - quick three beeps for light shock, full alarm for heavy shock) so I'm not going to push the subject any further. That thing can also be upgraded to a few cool features as well (motion detection, remote start, etc) so all in all it may have been a better alarm than the scion security system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.