Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering trading my 2000 Celica GTS in for a TC tomorrow. I have not driven one yet, but the only negatives I have read about this car is that it's the heaviest and has the smallest trunk in it's class. With the audio gear in my Celica, it had the curb weight of the space shuttle so I am not really concerned about the weight part. I am feeling the "Black Cherry Pearl" color, but I haven't seen it in real life.
I guess the question I have is:
I have priced two cars, one with 18" wheels and one without. Does the 18" wheel package have the same rolling radius as the stock 17" wheel/tire combo?
I really don't want 18" wheels just for the sake of "bling". I guess I can take a tape measure to the dealership if no one knows for sure.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
the size & weight of the 18"s should match the 17"s.. As for the cargo area, I wouldn't worry about that unless you put a box for your sub(s) in the hatch... The back seats fold down and you have a ton of space... If needed, you can also lean the front passenger seat all the way back & you'll have the back of the hatch to the dash

btw, welcome to the site!

·
Registered
614 Posts
i'm not sure what the 18s are like but they seem a bit pricy comapared to other aftermarket 18s. they are supposed to be the same weight and handle the same as the 17s so in my opinion i don't see the point of getting the 18s, unless you are getting them for the look, and you said that you didn't want them for the look. therefore, i say save some cash and stick with the stock 17s.

·
Registered
675 Posts
motor trend just did a "first drive" of the tC.. and said that for the most performance the stock 17" were the way to go.. since the 18" and 19" decreased the amount of power getting to the road.. since it was spinning up the other tires.. diameter should be the same.. but that's what MT said..
i personally am getting rid of the stock rubber and putting on some pirelli P Zero Nero M&S.. tires.. if thats what you were wondering too was what rubber to put on.. I'll post the results when i get them on later this coming week

·
Registered
290 Posts
honestly i think the 18s from the dealer are way over priced, plus the offset could be better for the tC's body. they are +42 offset and could be a little less to put the rim at the edge of the wheel well plus many other styles could be had for cheaper. mine are 18x7.5 with a +35 offset and look like the fill the wheel well better:)

·
Registered
614 Posts
i just kept the 17s that i had put on my corolla. i figured that the tc was designed with 17s so i didn't feel bad just keeping my corolla's 17s and using them on my tc. they are wider than stock which increases handling a bit but other than that, they are still 17s.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by J&J flinTc@Aug 27 2004, 06:33 PM
honestly i think the 18s from the dealer are way over priced, plus the offset could be better for the tC's body. they are +42 offset and could be a little less to put the rim at the edge of the wheel well plus many other styles could be had for cheaper. mine are 18x7.5 with a +35 offset and look like the fill the wheel well better:)

How much were those wheels? Your car looks awesome.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by J&J flinTc@Aug 27 2004, 11:17 PM
Hey T check out my other pics in the members section!!!
done deal, man......you did a great job with thoe wheels, they really bring the car together in my eyes. Keep up the great work, very tasteful! - t

·
Registered
290 Posts
Go to tires.com this combo is on special right now for $1088 with free shipping just got to add tire warranty and lug nuts (make sure they send the tuner style lugs they sent me the wrong ones!!!! first no big deal they fixed it:) I am a partner in a local shop and i got the set for $974 to the shop:) but $1088 is not bad 18s w/ tires

·
Registered
614 Posts
that is a lot cheaper than the dealer 18s

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I placed a deposit on a 5 spd Black Cherry Red. If I wanted a TC with automatic, I could have driven home yesterday. The car should be here in 4 - 6 weeks. I'll take the time to sell my car privately. Car Max offered to buy my Celica for $11K, I think I might do better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts