Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a way to carry my mountain bike outside of the car and I didn't want a semi-permenent roof rack. I haven't been able to find anyone who makes a hitch for the tC so I made one out of a few old hitches layin around the shop.

All the holes are allready drilled from the factory. The driverside had nuts welded in, the passenger side did not so I had to weld nuts to some plates and slide them into the frame through a hole I cut.

You can't even see the hitch unless you are squated down. Let me know what you thing. I'll post pics of the rack after I make it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You drive on dirt a lot? The underside of your car is filthy. Rack's not bad though.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I think the manual says that tC is not meant for towing, but since you are not towing - great job

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
looks good... nice and hidden

·
Registered
98 Posts
very nice, I want one. I know they say its not designed for towing but do you think towing something relatively light (200 lbs) would really damage it? I havent got my car yet and i really want a tC but i need to carry small dinghy sailboats sometimes, so I am also thinking about a newer rav4.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the toung weight is rated at 200 lb. the towing capacity is rated at 2400. The only thing I'm gonna use it for is my mountain bike, that weighs a whole 23 lbs. I think it'll be okay.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Look in the owners manual - they don't recommend towing anything with a tC...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I think he meant the hitch was rated for towing 2400 lbs. Not the tC.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Besides that, towing capacity is more related to cooling systems and braking systems than anything else. I could go into a long discussion about cooling system design, but simply put, when you tow you need more cooling capacity because your average thermal load is higher. Brakes should be obvious. Towing anything without exceeding the GVWR for the entire system (car, passengers, cargo, trailer, and whatever you are towing) should be OK for the brakes, but it is very easy to exceed GVWR with even a small trailer. There are other issues, but these two are the big ones. Oh, yeah, if you have an automatic, you'll need a bigger cooler for it too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the rack. It may look flimsy but there's a 3/8 x 2" plate welded from the fork mount directly to the receiver hitch. The clamp is a Yakima locking QR. The rear wheel is simply straped down with a nylon ratchet. I took it down a dirt road at "rally" speed
and it is a solid as can be.

·
Registered
576 Posts
As long as it does what you want it to do... Don't be supprised if you get some points and laughs going down the highway.... :) Beautiful car.... bike. Lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.