Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no offenes to anyone that is one but i hate them. yesterday i was driving home on the turnpike and i start to see rock coming at my car and it wasn't like i could move out of the way cause they were in all three lanes. when i finally see where its coming from it a f!!!ing truck that is way in front of me. me and all the cars around me had to speed up. i did't know how much damage i had or even if i had any until i got home and lookedd at my hood. i have dents in my hood now. i'm so pissed but what can i do now? nothing but cry my self to sleep (j/k).

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Is that one of these short dump trucks with sand in it? I've seen a bunch of them when I was in Florida.

You have two choices - either try to keep as far away from them, or try to get the trucking company to pay for the damage, cause it looks like you were more than 100 feet away and it still got you.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I hate that when I get on the freeway and I'm behind a convoy of dump trucks. I've been on my motorcycle when that's happened before, and it feels like every inch of exposed skin is being sandblasted. It is truly unpleasant.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The not responsible for damages sticker is bull, it is there to scare off those who don't know any better. They need to have some sort of cover over the back to keep debris from flying out. If you have the trucking info thay should have to pay for any damages.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
There are usually 2 stickers. One says that they are not responsible for the damage cause by the road debris - as in rocks that they kick up, and the second sticker that says "Stay 100 feet away".

So yes, if the crap comes from the bed - it's their fault. Call the cops.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Truckers are the cause of most rock flare-outs. I got dinged by a rock from a logging truck in Washington state heading south towards Seattle on I-5. The rock just started bouncing out of the load-a-logs and I saw it ahead of time but couldn't get outta the way. So my Sporty's hood has a cute little ping-ding in it.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
ouch!! I-5 is trucker hell...all the way up and down. i hate those mother truckers!! oh well truckers dont kill windshields, rocks do. they do however piss me off going down I-5 and they see u coming in the fast lane, and at the last second pull out to pass another truck. one goes 66 the other goes 65 takes about 40 minutes!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
A couple of days ago a huge bucket flew out of a truck a couple of cars in front of me, but fortunately for me getting moved a couple of lanes to the left by the wind, but hitting the front bumper of a random car in the far left lane and causing a considerable amount of damage to it from what I could tell. Then the truck which lost the bucket just slams on the brakes, causing the car in fron to me, along with myself, to slam on the brakes, and then swerve into another lane to get away from this a-hole. But just for the record, it was just a pick-up, not one of those construction trucks...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but in CA, the trucks are liable. They shouldn't be launching crap all over the road. I've known more than a few people that had dings, cracked windshields, and scratches repaired by local contractors.

There's no reason they should be spewing stuff all over the road. Get a license plate, look for a company name, and note the time. Make a couple phone calls and you should be compensated.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by Azrael@Apr 26 2005, 06:38 AM
it feels like every inch of exposed skin is being sandblasted.
Exposed skin on a bike? I guess you've never fallen on pavement.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Apr 26 2005, 11:20 PM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 26 2005, 11:20 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Azrael
@Apr 26 2005, 06:38 AM
it feels like every inch of exposed skin is being sandblasted.
Exposed skin on a bike? I guess you've never fallen on pavement. [/b]
A bit worse than being sand blasted?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
As a bicycle racer, I can say most definitely yes. Lots of experience with road rash.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Mostly just my knuckles hands and my neck. I always wear long sleeves (usually leather) and long pants. But even just that little bit of skin kills me when I'm behind a dump truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.