Scion tC Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may turn out to be a group of two or three cars joining, but i am inviting everyone. this is not for the weak at heart, nor is it for those concerned with drives being "too long". this is for those who want to push themselves, and their cars. i am going. i know wolo has been chomping at the bit for this drive. here it is. the mother of all california roads. how do i know? i rode it on my bike. blew my rear tire at the halfway mark. this road is a motherf#cker. got balls? then join me.

this is bliss

the drive will take some time. first off, we have to get to red bluff. the from red bluff to the coast. and from there to the bay area if we can, and back home.

i expect to hash out the details of when we do this with those who are interested. wolo, lo bux racer, eric, moriarty, eric gladden, zygote55, and anyone else in the nor cal area with enough gumption... this is a good drive. trust me. and look at the map. this road rules. lets do it. i submit march 27th, early AM for departure. who's in?

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Damn that looks like fun, but Easter??

btw, is this better than 299 from the Coast into Redding? We did that drive not too long ago in the Eclipse & that was a blast!
It was such a long drive though that it started to get old at times... of course we were on our way back from Oregon so we had already been driving all morning...

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man, i dont pay any attention to holidays. it didnt even cross my mind that it was easter. stupid egg-laying rabbit. how about the following sunday, april third?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eric : i dont know if 36 is "better" than 299. its probably comparable after reading the write up for 299.

" ...to the small town of Hayfork (there is gas here) and on to Highway 36. Do ride Highway 36- one of my favorite all time rides within this state. "
- from the write up on HWY 299, pashnit.com

roads look similar from the pictures he has on his site. lots of curves for those of us who love cornering. there arent many straight, flat stretches on 36, but we can have plenty of those at the end of 36 when we hit the coast.

edit : FYI - this is about a 600 mile drive total. for those of you who cant hang, i submit this. i did sacramento to grants pass, oregon. grants pass to crescent city. crescent city to hwy 36. hwy 36 to red bluff. and back to sacramento. 800 miles. 1 day. on my sport bike. no radio, no one to talk to. no windows, no seat back. and significantly more work pushing a bike through twisties. so saddle up already.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Easter Sunday works just fine for me. The wife will be visiting her family in Florida, so I'm totally cool with it. Especially if we can make it to Arcata and enjoy some Humboldt brew.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hell I'm tempted and I'm 1500 miles away.

Edit: If it wouldn't require a massive restructuring of my schedule I would be there. However if this were oh say at the end of May and I knew about it now, then I could easily say yes. Hehe. Pick a day...I'm still pondering. Would have to pull in favors if I do

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i would stick with easter, but i really would like eric to be able to go if he wants to.
anyone have a problem with the following sunday? 4/3?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I might have a problem with the following Sunday, but I will let you know soon. There's some weekend in the beginning of April that I'm unavailable, but I'm not sure which.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not sure about easter, 4/3, or at all?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fair enough. so we have three for easter, and no one for the following weekend. good thing we have time to sort this out. let us know whats up, eric.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would say probably not for a while. We have been ridiculously busy and it's starting to wear on me. Plan on another one, maybe end of summer... Still great weather and it gives us some time to get our sh!t together. I hate to miss an event with you guys since you're so much fun and all, but damn. I am thinking about working nights and weekends just to get us back on top... buying a house is crazy enough without all the stuff we have been doing. Gas alone would be like $60 buck for that trip... Feel free to keep your original plans for Easter weekend cause I doubt we/Eric will be able to make it (unless, of course, we peeled off at Yreka and spent Easter with my family
they would be so mad if they knew we drove up there and didn't stop to visit)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.