Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a scion in either august or september hopefully a super white and if not that the a azure pearl. i want a manual. I really aint that good at manual i am good at shifting but i just aint good at starting to go. Can anybody help me on any easier way or anything that will help me. I drove my friends 2006 honda si that is manual i did everything good except starting to go i would stall out a couple times then i would get it a couple times and it would keep going like that. I really want a manual so can you people please help me out

·
Registered
281 Posts
the easiest way, in my opinion (and how i learned) is to push the clutch in, DONT TOUCH THE GAS YET, put it in 1st gear, and SLOWLY let out the clutch. it will engage and actually move the car without any gas, from there you can learn where the clutch engagement is, and help yourself out alot. i learned on a manual and i never owned a auto. but like i said, let the clutch slowly without any gas and it goes by itself from the rpm that the motor is at.
hope i made sense
josh

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You don't have to. The car will move if you just slowly let the clutch out. I wouldn't do this with a light flywheel, but stock, sure. Even Supras do that.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You would likely stall the engine. It's practically impossible to do this with a lightweight flywheel. It doesn't have enough inertia.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Originally posted by JDangle@Jan 23 2006, 01:53 PM
the easiest way, in my opinion (and how i learned) is to push the clutch in, DONT TOUCH THE GAS YET, put it in 1st gear, and SLOWLY let out the clutch. it will engage and actually move the car without any gas, from there you can learn where the clutch engagement is, and help yourself out alot. i learned on a manual and i never owned a auto. but like i said, let the clutch slowly without any gas and it goes by itself from the rpm that the motor is at.
hope i made sense
josh
This is exactly how I taught myself. The car will move without using any gas and you learn exactly where your engagment point is. I would do this if your having trouble with 1st and Reverse.

-Eric

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Originally posted by buderic+Jan 23 2006, 05:24 PM-->QUOTE (buderic @ Jan 23 2006, 05:24 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-JDangle
@Jan 23 2006, 01:53 PM
hope i made sense
josh
This is exactly how I taught myself. The car will move without using any gas and you learn exactly where your engagment point is. I would do this if your having trouble with 1st and Reverse.

-Eric [/b]
I have yet to have a need to gas the car when I'm in reverse.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thank you guys for your help when i have the chance to drive manual again that is what i am going to try. i have another question umm say that a red light is up ahead i have to go to 2nd and then i can go to neutral is that right. And also say that there is a red light and it turns green and i already put it in neutral can i just put it back to first then i dont have to do it like when i am starting out i just push the clutch in and then shift

·
Registered
281 Posts
when coming to a red light or stop sing, i just put it in neutral. im just to lazy to hold the clutch whil at a red light. and some mentioned about my concept not being good for lighweight flywheels, but i HIGHLY doubt someone JUST LEARNING is that far into working on his tranny/ gearing yet to worry about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so your saying you dont have to put it in neutral if you hold the clutch in ?? do you just put it at first then?? and say that i do wanna put it at neutral at a red light do i have to go to 2nd gear before i go to neutral my friend told me that or can i put it to neutral after any gear to stop at a red light do you understand what im trying to say

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so your saying you dont have to put it in neutral if you hold the clutch in ?? do you just put it at first then?? and say that i do wanna put it at neutral at a red light do i have to go to 2nd gear before i go to neutral my friend told me that or can i put it to neutral after any gear to stop at a red light do you understand what im trying to say

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
The flywheel is the surface to which the clutch mates. A lightened one reduces the mass of the spinning portion of the engine, and also the mass that needs to be spun or slowed down with throttle input, so the engine revs easier but also drops revs quicker; since it's freer revving, the car may accelerate harder in lower gears without actually making more power. It's just using more power ot move the car rather than to spin the engine.

Holding the clutch pedal down won't just get your foot tired but it also puts additional wear on your pressure plate; it's not a huge amount of wear but it's extraneous wear nonetheless that's best avoided if at all possible, just like excessive gear changing (wears down the synchromesh assemblies more rapidly).

-Ed

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.