Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past weekend I was stopped at a red light.. and a ricey civic came and gunned his engine.. so i thought I'd give him a run.. launched at about 2800k.. soon as i let the clutch off I hit the gas.. and I got a tremendous amount of wheel hop.. now i've only done this once.. but I'm curious what I'm affecting by getting these wheel hop, I've heard that on a fwd cars wheel hops are a no no.. any feed back will be appreciated..

·
Registered
426 Posts
it does diminish the life of your motor mounts and bushings..if u do some searches on this site, u can find that by upgrading ur suspension and stock rubber it makes a big difference..but either way youll get it on a front wheel drive car..

·
Registered
832 Posts
Motor and transmission mounts, drive axles, transmission internals, bearings, and tires will all experience decreased life from front drive wheelhop. Not to mention it's no fun at all.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by courier11sec@Nov 17 2005, 09:14 PM
Motor and transmission mounts, drive axles, transmission internals, bearings, and tires will all experience decreased life from front drive wheelhop. Not to mention it's no fun at all.
Transmission mounts as well as ALL motor mounts.

Just don't do it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A better solution would be to get solid motor/tranny mounts but car vibration goes up a tad bit. Worth the sacrifice IMHO.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by krdshrk@Nov 19 2005, 02:45 PM
What's wheel hop anyway?
Read. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken+Nov 19 2005, 11:52 AM-->QUOTE (Plissken @ Nov 19 2005, 11:52 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-krdshrk
@Nov 19 2005, 02:45 PM
What's wheel hop anyway?
Read. Google is your friend. [/b]
This should be your avatar, do0ders!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by kidazn719@Nov 19 2005, 01:19 PM
since most people here have tCs maybe someone could suggest a lower RPM that one could launch at?
How bout not street racing to begin with? Take it to the track man. Too many of my friends and family keep ending up dead b/c of street racing. Either participants or bystanders.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by kidazn719@Nov 19 2005, 01:19 PM
since most people here have tCs maybe someone could suggest a lower RPM that one could launch at?
Too many variables. Practice makes perfect. ...at the track of course.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry for the rant. Too many people get cars like these and others thinking they're gonna go perform some crazy racing on the streets like they saw in their favorite movie over the weekend. It's not as much here as other forums but I just want to maybe get a word in edge wise before it becomes so widespread.

Anyway, back on topic. Just do some research via google or elsewhere and then make a plan to combat the wheel hop. Understand though, most solutions you lose one thing to gain another. Like ride quality for no wheel hop. Or performance for gas mileage. While this isn't ALWAYS true it mostly is.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Originally posted by courier11sec@Nov 18 2005, 12:14 AM
tire damage can lead to very decreased traction and in some extreme cases... blowouts
bottom line...tire damage is not something you want to be involved with

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
To back up a minute, i have gotten wheel hop simply from taking off around some cars in traffic, mid way through 1st gear. It has a lot to do with the soft suspension and lack of tread on the tires. Also, before anyone starts, don't even try to call me dangerous or a street racer, i have a 8 second corvette that is all about drag racing, bracket style. Launching at many speeds can cause this wheel hop. My suggestion would be to get some new tires, then a stiffer suspension if you have the cash.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Nov 20 2005, 04:38 PM
My suggestion would be to get some new tires, then a stiffer suspension if you have the cash.
Yup. Just like I suggested above.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Your wheel hop will get worse. The engine mounts are too soft. I have some ideas for tweaking this without replacing or modifying the originals, but no matter what, it's the vibration reduction the motor mounts do that causes wheel hop in these cars.

FWIW, a great deal of this goes away with better tires, but it's still a problem on any sticky surface.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Learn to feather the clutch. If you launch full out pedal to the floor, clutch all the way out, your going to get wheel hop. When blowing through first, slip the clutch a little when you start to get hop... Works for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.