Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys whats up I need some in-put on this topic....I going to be putting a stereo system in my car, I used to like massive amounts of bass and did not car about SQ but now I want good SQ and nice tight bass...I was just wondering why everyone buys 2 subs is that to be really loud or does it sound better im thinking of just puttin 1 12 infinity kappa perfect in my Tc would that be enough bass to feel or is it always best to go with 2 subs....god I'm such an IDIOT!

....But atlest I still have my tots....

Thank you 4 your time!

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
If you want tight bass, then in my opinion you will want to go with 10's instead of anything larger. If one 10" isn't enough for you, then get two 10s. Larger subs (12"+), especially when you have more than one, to me seem to drown out the rest of the music.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The key to subwoofer performance is proper enclosure. The best thing to do is measure out the area you want to you want ti dedicate to the system and then pick the woofer that performs best in that space. A smaller woofer in an enclosure that is a proper enclosure will out-perform a larger woofer in an enclosure that is too small.
To get a rough idea of the volume you have to work with, measure the Height, Width and Depth of the area. Then use this formula: ((H-1.5") x (W-1.5") x (D-1.5"))/1728=GROSS internal cu.ft. (rectangular)
You want to subtract 1.5" form each dimension to account for wood thickness assuming you are using .75" wood to construct the enclosure (recommended). If you do not have the volume needed, you need to consider giving up more space or getting a smaller woofer.
BTW, I have a single 10" woofer in my TC.

·
Registered
113 Posts
JLTD can we get a picture of your system? I am just curious as I have a JL amp and sub and was wondering what your consists of.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I actually have taken many pictures of the installation I performed this past weekend. I was planning to do a tutorial which showed sound (no pun intended) installation practices. It was a pretty basic system requiring no modification. In the future I planned to do "add on" modules that address custom installations (door pannels, enclosures, etc.)
I am leaving for Las Vegas tomorrow and I have not started doing anything with the text and pictures.
My system consists of:
Egineered Connecton System
Wiring throughout the vehicle.
ECS

e4300
Under the passenger seat.
Wired to the front and rear speakers. Signal comes directly form OEM unit (front & rear).
4 x 75 Watts @ 12.5V .08% Distortion

e1400D
Under the driver's seat.
Wired to the subwoofer. Signal comes from the line out of the e4300.
1 x 400 Watts @ 12.5V .08% Distortion

VR650-CSi
In door locations.
Wiring run into the doors to allow access to the x-overs. Lot's of work went into sealing the doors.
6.5" Component system

ProWedge
In trunk.
The particular enclosure I have is no longer produced. It's loaded with a 10W3-D2.
The current model

HushMat
All interior surfaces including plastic panels.
Hands down the best material I have used! Very easy to apply and no foil cuts.
Thanks to the folks @ HushMat

I left the OEM rear speakers in place because they will do the job I need them to for now. I am kicking around the idea of placing 6W0-8 subwoofers in the rear stock locations. The enclosure will most-likely need to be made from fiberglass to fit the way I want it.
This will be the subject of one of these modules I'd like to add.

·
Registered
113 Posts
JLTD, is that enclosure size the most efficient for the 10W3 D2. I also have that sub, and the guys who installed it used an oddshaped box that I think is too large for my trunk and which may be more inefficient. Is there a similar enclosure that JL or another company offers?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally posted by nrhanson@Jan 4 2005, 12:58 PM
JLTD, is that enclosure size the most efficient for the 10W3 D2.  I also have that sub, and the guys who installed it used an oddshaped box that I think is too large for my trunk and which may be more inefficient.  Is there a similar enclosure that JL or another company offers?
The geometric shape of the enclosure in not nearly as important as the proper volume. The dimensions of the ProWedge equal the proper volume, but it doesn't mean that all enclosures need to be that shape. The dinemsions on the website list max height, width and depth for purpose of determining fit. All the demensions needed for build are not there. There is an example of enclosure build size for the 10W3v2 in the Owner's Manual

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Originally posted by phungy@Jan 4 2005, 09:12 PM
I'm getting 2 12" JL 3v2 and sub box for $100 :-D but does anyone know if i MUST fold down the rear seats? I'm guessing I will have to... =\
depends where you want to put the box, in the trunk or in the rear seats. My 5.6 cubic foot box sits well in the back, but it takes up the whole trunk.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Originally posted by east_side_oyster@Jan 3 2005, 01:25 AM
...I want good SQ and nice tight bass...im thinking of just puttin 1 12 infinity kappa perfect in my Tc...
For "good SQ and nice tight bass" I would recommend 10's over 12's. Generally, 10's are tighter, due to less moving mass. It's easier for the motor structure to control the cone motion. 12's typically are more "boomy".

A sealed enclosure will play lower, produce the flattest response, and most musical and tightest bass for SQ. Porting the enclosure will give you more output and increased power handling, but are usually more "boomy" as well. Bandpass enclosures will give the most output, but are the least musical, producing a monotone bass note (playing only a very limited bandwidth, usually in the 50-80 Hz range).

My suggestion is to use a single sealed 10, with adequate power, and in the proper enclosure size, which is very important! I'm using a 500 watt RMS Alpine SWR-1042D Type-R dual 2 ohm VC 10 (new 2005 model, shipping in Feb) in a .74 cuft sealed fiberglass custom enclosure, running 700 watts RMS (350 watts to each VC) and it sounds awesome!! Very impressive for a single 10!!! Plenty of output and very accurate, tight and musical.

If one 10 is not be enough bass for you, you can always add a second one. Doubling the surface area will move twice as much air, and play louder. For me, one 10, with plenty of power behind it, in a sealed enclosure is just right!

Let us know what you decide...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.