Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in July I "ordered" a NB, auto trans, side air bags. Quoted "10-30 days, probably on the side of 10". A month later, the dealer tells me it might take a miracle to get one by October. I just have to be patient and hope the factory makes one with that combo--since I don't want the ricey stuff, I'm SOL until they make a vanilla one (no ground effects, no lowering springs, no interior LEDs... I like the pedestal spoiler but I'd take one without and wait to install one if that's what it takes). I was told there's "no such thing as customizing" with Scions when I order, the factory just makes random combos and sends them to random dealers. I just have to hope one gets sent to their lot with my options.

Now that my 2-4 week wait is looking like a 2-4 month one, is my dealer pulling my leg--I'm told no dealership in So Cal has one coming until then... true? Is it worth my time to call every dealership from San Diego to San Francisco... I'm willing to travel to pick up the car if it's my perfect car I want... but I'm not going to spend $20K on a car nearby with a bunch of crap I don't want....

Basically, I've ordered the cheeseburger, no pickles, no onions, and after a month of waiting I'm told the chef's just making a bunch of random burgers and I haven't gotten lucky yet and the future doesn't look good. Had I know this beforehand it would probably have affected my purchase decision.

·
Premium Member
16,847 Posts
The factories in Japan only make 4 kinds of tCs and then the different colors. Manual, Manual w/ Side Airbags, Auto and Auto w/ Side Airbags. Everything else is port or dealer installed. Ask your dealer if he is working with other dealerships on a trade for the tC you want. It shouldn't take you that long to get the car you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it would work like that, the factory makes the vanilla models and everything else is added later, but I've been to a couple of dealerships near me and that's not how they do business. I was told I can't "order" one like that, I just have to hope that's how it arrives at their dealership. Kind of frustrating since I showed up with checkbook in hand and willing to wait up to a month if it took that long, the easiest sale they could ever have racked up. I left a deposit and was told it'd be quick, now it's looking more like I bought my Christmas present six months early.

I asked "there's no one in California with a blue auto TC with side airbags?" and was told by the dealership that was the situation. Perhaps I'll have to start hitting the phones and see if there's anyone else who wants the money I'm so desparate to give away. The dealership I placed the order with called me about some "close but no cigar" models--color and trans, but no air bags, or all riced up or something, and asks if I want to spend the extra $3,000 for stuff I don't want, which has left me pretty frustrated.

Quick update--called over to a dealership 20 miles away, was told they could put in a request for me. But "blue, auto, airbags" was "too rare" to expect to find, and that they'd try, but I might have to wait for the 2007s. I guess that's the problem with pure pricing, no dealership will put in any effort to make a sale if I can just get the same price from anywhere else. They're just taking in cars with whatever options they think will sell for the higher prices, they're happy to put me in a $24K model but won't even make a phone call for a $19-20K one. The dealership told me they sell the TCs so fast when they come in that there's no point in trying to make me happy when they can get in a more expensive one and sell it to the next person who walks through the door that day. Some of the other dealerships I've called have told me to try back on the first of the month and see if they get allotted a car like I want, and if so, then maybe I can get it in two months... but no promises. So the calls continue... I've been thinking about taking a trip to Vegas, anyway, maybe someone out there can help... would be a fun drive with a shiny new car.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I would contact Scion and complain about these dealerships. Scion corporate is very big on customer satisfaction from what I've seen and heard. I think that they would be very interested to hear what these guys are doing to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's almost comical. I was driving in my car when the first dealership called me today to say "keep your fingers crossed for this year", so I pulled off at the next exit and went straight to another dealership I knew, about 5 miles away.

Picture it, I pull up in a beat up old car, checkbook in hand, walk right up to a salesman and say "I want a customized Scion like the commercials promise. How long will I have to wait?"

He told me I was out of luck. They sold all their Scions for the day, that I should call in on Monday when the next truck comes, if there's one on it I like he'll save it for me. I said "No, I want options. Customized." I still had the checkbook out.

"We don't do that," he said. "We can't order them, they just come in how they are and we sell 'em." He gave me his card and walked away.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wtf?!

Scion is all about customizing the car for you. When I bought mine, sure there were tC's a plenty on the lot, but none of them were the right one for me. I wanted a color and transmission combo that they didn't have. I had to wait 2 weeks just to test drive a 5-speed, which was azure pearl (yuck! [sorry if that offends..]). Then after I made up my mind with buying the tC, I just told my kick @ss dealer all of the options I wanted, color/transmission, and then he looked up when the car would be in, and it was a month wait. One month later, I'm driving in my tC.

Best of luck with your purchase. I hope you get your car soon.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Originally posted by steve_bev@Aug 21 2005, 12:16 AM
It's almost comical. I was driving in my car when the first dealership called me today to say "keep your fingers crossed for this year", so I pulled off at the next exit and went straight to another dealership I knew, about 5 miles away.

Picture it, I pull up in a beat up old car, checkbook in hand, walk right up to a salesman and say "I want a customized Scion like the commercials promise. How long will I have to wait?"

He told me I was out of luck. They sold all their Scions for the day, that I should call in on Monday when the next truck comes, if there's one on it I like he'll save it for me. I said "No, I want options. Customized." I still had the checkbook out.

"We don't do that," he said. "We can't order them, they just come in how they are and we sell 'em." He gave me his card and walked away.
okay i'm not big into calling names but these people you're dealing with are retards! i have other words for them but i'm staying on the pg - rating..

you don't have to wait for the car you want.. that's crazy.. they are lying to you about the factory doing the customizing, because THEY DON'T! the port can put some stuff on the car, but sometimes the dealer just does that..

What i think is going on is this.. They only want to sell you the most optioned out stuff they have so they can make a larger profit.. They are not willing to sell you a car that is just "vanilla" and put stuff on later.. They want to lie to you and make you think that this is the story.. IT IS NOT THE TRUTH!

I would definitely contact scion.. i bet they'd love to know you had "checkbook in hand" and they refused to help you get a car.. report them! Watch their allocationg for the month go bye bye.. I had that done to a dealer who treated me like crap.. I checked up and in a month the salesman was like "wow toyota said we're not getting any cars.. weird, my manager is checking into it".. yeah that'll teach ya..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought all the cars came with nothing except maybe side airbags. Then at the dealership they install all those accessories such as spoiler, LEDs, ect..[/b]
If that were true, getting the vanilla base model would be easy, instead it appears impossible. The dealership I placed the deposit with told me today that "Toyota has met it's sales goals for this year" and isn't going to be making more 2006 tC's for months, so whatever's out there in terms of customized models is what I have to choose from--basically they can give me a list of leftover tCs from the dealerships within 25 miles or so and I can pick the one with the options closest to what I want.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I called about 30 dealerships before I found mine-- purely by chance-- and while we were in finalizing the deal, 3 other people came in and asked about the car.

Right place, right time.

The Toyota/Scion dealer closest to me doesn't order tCs at all-- they say they're lucky to get in a handful a month, and those sell before they're even off the truck. The next closest dealer always has two or three tCs on the lot, complete with $21k+ window stickers. The pure pricing seems to be the killer-- the margin on Scions is not large, so the motivation for dealers to actively pursue them seems low... unless that particular car got loaded to the gills when it hit port.

So you'll have to extend your search radius-- I was around the 100 mile range when I found mine. It had been at the dealership about 24 hours, and been test driven 3 times. And away I went.

Completely stock is gonna be next to impossible. If you can keep the options under $1k, and open yourself up to color choices, your chances get a lot better. Call around, and just ask about the trans and the sticker: that will give you at least a 3% chance.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow, i'm glad to hear my experiences with scion are not unusual! i'm in socal too and all the dealers have the same attitudes/explanations/excuses too. i've been told that about 25% of all tc's come with SABs, about 50/50 are manual vs. auto. and southern california (i can't remember if its the largest or just one of the largest markets) receives about 20% of their total output of tc's. nb is apparently a tougher color to get. anyways, i'm glad to hear i'm not alone in encountering lots of sh*t ass lame dealers.

·
Registered
241 Posts
when i went to get my tc i had no idea what options i did/didnt want, all i knew was i wanted to see if i could get a good deal on financing and i wanted a black auto(couldnt drive 5speed)

when i got there they only had one, and they said a bsp auto was coming in but not for weeks, then he said "Lemme go get the one we have, its a manual but we can go for a ride and see if you like the car". Well when he pulled up in the super white with foglights, bodykit, and rims i fell in love. So he taught me to drive a manual and I took it home

·
Registered
664 Posts
Originally posted by steve_bev@Aug 21 2005, 01:59 AM
I thought all the cars came with nothing except maybe side airbags. Then at the dealership they install all those accessories such as spoiler, LEDs, ect..
If that were true, getting the vanilla base model would be easy, instead it appears impossible. The dealership I placed the deposit with told me today that "Toyota has met it's sales goals for this year" and isn't going to be making more 2006 tC's for months, so whatever's out there in terms of customized models is what I have to choose from--basically they can give me a list of leftover tCs from the dealerships within 25 miles or so and I can pick the one with the options closest to what I want. [/b][/quote]
hey steve.. sounds like this dealership keeps giving you "every line in the book" for excuses.. how funny.. and now toyota has stopped making the tC? after only a couple month run for '06? No that's not true at all, since they just released a press statement that said they were upping production to the limit of the production line.

I'd find another dealer.. and while you're at it, call scion 1 866 70 SCION and ask them why they stopped production, they'll tell you they haven't for this year..

i find the excuses this dealership gives you is most amuzing.. definitely call scion..

·
Registered
192 Posts
that really sucks you are getting so much crap. i guess i really dont realize how lucky i was when i went in... i knew i wanted a manuel tc in either NB or BCP with no options... they just get a BCP in the day i went with side airbags and floormats. i really had no clue what some of you guys are going through until i started surfing the forum.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I most likely would of had to deal with this type of bs if I had been patient. But because I was impatient to wait for the BSP or FM I went with what they had available which was the SSM and I love it. The only options were auto, floormats came free and this was perfect because parents didn't want to spend over $20k. OTD price came out to ~$19,500.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
i am in california. i can get you a NB tC in two weeks. built the way you want it. i dont know where in ca you are, but we are enough of a high volume dealer we dont have a real availability issue. if you had asked moriarty and me for a nb tC in july, you would have had it by now. your dealer isnt working hard enough for you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't insist on "customizing". Just tell the dealer what base car you want (color/auto/side airbags) and then have the accessories installed later. That's actually how it works. Most SCION's come as base cars and buyers have the accessories added to them later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't insist on "customizing". Just tell the dealer what base car you want (color/auto/side airbags) and then have the accessories installed later. That's actually how it works. Most SCION's come as base cars and buyers have the accessories added to them later.[/b]
That's not how it works out here, that's the problem.... the L.A. area dealers I've talked to won't even sell me the base model. They'll only sell from their stock on the lot--already customized: LED kits, ground effects, lowering springs, spoiler, etc. If they're not getting $24K for it, they won't deal with me. I asked one salesman how long I'd wait for a base car, he walked me right back to my car as he said "just buy what comes in on the truck, we don't have time to do requests".

Thanks, inevitablegod, if I don't figure it out in the next day I'm sure we can work something out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Man, that's so odd. The cars come directly from the plant(s), right? And from what Carmax told me, I COULD NOT order certain accessories/options. They all come in base and you then have the accessories put on as you want. Aside from the side air-bag which had to be installed from the plant, my car came with nothing else (except the floor mats) .

From the sound if it, these accessories have to be put onto the cars somewhere. If Carmax said they don't put them on at the plant, then why do the dealers in your area say so ??? Beats the heck out of me !!! Do they have different policies between the east coast and the west coast ???

If that's the case, then I wouldn't know what to day, dude.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What's going on is the dealerships are selling higher-priced tC's so fast they don't want to waste one out of their allotment, or waste a space on the truck from the port to the dealership, for a vanilla model. They can sell it to me, or add a bunch of crap to the car and sell it for $5000 more to the next teenager that walks by. The color/trans/airbags combo I want is only "about 5%" of the cars coming out of the factory according to one dealer, so it's "too rare" to waste on someone like me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.