Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a silly question, but if any of you that have the strut bar on your tC, have you noticed any major differences in chassis regidity/ better handling, etc?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Sorry... I was thinking about getting it installed myself... the dealer seems to think it will improve the handling of the car... not sure.

·
Registered
619 Posts
from my past experiences a strut tower brace helps tremindusly. it reduces all the chassis flex in the front end of the car. and at the price you can get this thing for its well wortth it

·
Registered
675 Posts
yes in my 96 civic coupe.. it reduced a lot of the shimmy at highway and "tightened" up the chassis.. a noticable difference.. should do the same on the new tC

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah best strut bars have always been welded pieces together.. and bolt on.. the whole point is not being adjustable.. but being rigid to stop the chassis from flexing..

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I read over at scionlife that hte strut towers on teh tC are connected to the firewall (I suppose I COULD go outside and check for myself) and therefore the strut bar doesnt' do jack on this car.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Why would it be attacted to the fire wall? That makes no sense. The whole point is for it to make a connection from where your struts enter the engine bay and attach to the chassis. This reduces body roll and handling responce.

·
Registered
936 Posts
its not attached to the firewall.....if it was, it would be a "frame" not a "strut-tower brace". Get what im saying?? Toyota advertises it as a strut-tower brace.....meaning its attached to the struts (they have many animations on the Scion site showing it attached to the strut towers) and therefore places it VERY NEAR but not on the firewall. - t

·
Registered
675 Posts
i think what they're trying to say is that the strut towers are very close to the firewall so they figured that they are part of that structure.. they may be close but i still believe the towers can still flex.. it's not a frame/strut bar like the camaros and mustangs used to use.. just a strut bar.. and i do believe it would help.. those who have used them on the tC have proven this..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are the strut bars easy to install yourself or should I have the dealer do it when it comes time?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Aug 4 2004, 08:08 PM
are the strut bars easy to install yourself or should I have the dealer do it when it comes time?
As long as you have a socket wrench set and about 20 minutes of time, it should be a fairly easy job. First, you have to remove the plastic piece under the window wipers, I belive just screws. Then with the car on the ground simply undo the bolts on the struts (3 I think) and place the bar in place then re tighten the bolts to the correct torque.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Only cost $160.14 (shipping included) if you order from McGeorges. You can email him for the installation documents...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awesome, thanks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks eric, those are cool pics. maby Damon can post install instructions?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts