Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly this is a question for Low, but anybody jump in here if you can help. I was studying manual transmissions the other day and I was trying to figure out how they determine gear ratios. My theory is they dyno an engine and from there calculate the amount of necessary torque needed at different speeds. Am I even close?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I don't think that's what Ryan is looking for. Honestly, I have no idea how they determine ratios for street cars. Every gearbox I have owned on a street vehicle has been weird except the Getrag 233 in the Supra. All the rest of them are spaced oddly so that you have terrible gaps between gears that make you fall off the power when you shift, much like the tC transaxle.

It would be interesting to find out how the OEMs decide what ratios to put in a gearbox. I know if I had a choice, the tC box would be completely different.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
supras make me drool soo much. If only they still made them.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
^^^ I hate to say it, but you probably would get yourself killed in a week flat with a Supra.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
^^^ I hate to say it, but you probably would get yourself killed in a week flat with a Supra.[/b]
Why would I kill myself? I hate to say it but I think you really are an idiot.

sorry for goin off topic and insulting this guy but i'm tired of his idiotic remarks towards me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by ALaS@Dec 2 2005, 11:02 AM
^^^ I hate to say it, but you probably would get yourself killed in a week flat with a Supra.
Why would I kill myself? [/b][/quote]
Maybe becuase you're racing base model piles of dog poop running 16's or more in the ¼ on public road ways?

...oh crap! Did I say that out loud?!

Edit: Back on topic. Coming up with those ratios generally depend on alot of things in combination. Miles per gallon, engine power utilization...and most of all...is there a similar car in their production line they can gank the tranny out of and not pay R&D expenses for making a new tranny?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.