Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently entered an SPL Comp. & hit a 139.2 at 50hz. this is what I am running:
Stock Stereo (I am putting in a Pioneer Premier DEH- 550MP this week)
2- 800w Pioneer TS-W256C (SVC)
2- 760w Pioneer GM-X862 Amps (Bridged)
Custom Enclosure at 1.667cu ft w/o poly fill

What can I do to raise my dB level with this setup?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Theretically, either doubling your power or doubling the number of woofers (and respective enclosure size) will give you approximately a 3dB increase in SPL. Also, if you port the box, it will give you about a 3dB increase at the ported frequency. Combining all three would give you around 6 to 9dB improvement in SPL.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told by a DEI Rep that I could get 3-6dB just by upgrading my HU. Does he know what he's talking about or is he blowing smoke up my a$$?
Also, Should I add polyfill to the box? I was told that I should.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
He is blowing smoke up your ass, what does the head unit have to do with how loud your subs are...think about it.....
Polyfill might help a little, but truthfully you are about as loud as you can get with that setup, with some serious box changes you could maybe jump to 140.#, but not much higher, you just don't have a system built for SPL, you need much more power....

·
Registered
347 Posts
more speakers=more cone surface area=higher SPL, assuming your powering your subs effectively. IF ur competing, figure out what class your in, then figure out the total cone surface area you can have, that will determine how many and what size subs u can have for best SPL results. IF you just want louder, just add more speakers, more power wont necessarily raise your SPL

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
You need to get a competion style setup, you have a basic entry level street setup (sorry if that hurts
).
Personally for straight up competition my subwoofer of choice is the Treo Engineering line of subwoofers. I fell in love with them as soon as I used them. For something that is still manageable to listen to on a daily basis I would suggest to go with the Street Series line. I had two of the Street series in a nice ported box in an older buick sedan I had with about 700 rms to each. I hit high 140s with that in a big old car. I would think you could do the same. They aren't sold all that many places in the United States, Omaha, NE just happened to have one of them. I included the link to them if you want to read up.

http://www.treoonline.com/ssi.html

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 22 2005, 08:26 AM
You need to get a competion style setup, you have a basic entry level street setup (sorry if that hurts
).
It doesn't hurt one bit.... I knew that I had a street setup.
Those Treo's look great.... what do they run $$?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well two years ago when i had mine i got mine with a nice custom fitted ported box (you get a 3 yr warranty if they install) for $550. I think they have gone up a little since then, but i still think you could get a decent deal.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$550 for everything... box, install & 2- 12's or 10's?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
2 12s, and a ported MDF box, uncovered because I built a faux front for it in the trunk that I covered. I provided the amps (two MMATT baby-Ds) and the car was wired already. They just hooked it up. You can talk them down typically in price if they are building a box for ya.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i know a guy who wants to sponsor me & a couple friends to do SPL competitions & his main components are MMATT's, Fusion and MA Audio.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Now offense, but I've never ever heard of Treo's where do u live?, they look OK, but not like anything competition grade, nor are their specs very impressive. If ur really gonna be pushing a system hard I'd stick to the more well-known and reputable companies, theres a reason they're top of the line. Also I've seen Fusion stuff and obviously MA audio, but what the heck is MMATT??

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I lived in Omaha. As I mentioned they are only sold about 20 cities around the country, because their outfit isn't that big, you won't find them online because they dont sell like that, because they don't mass produce anything. Everything is hand made and spec'd. If you have ever been to a car show in the midwest you would have probably seen and heard their displays. The O Reilly World of WHeels has a huge Treo display every year. last year they took up about a 50 foot by 50 foot block in the arena.

Currently the treo show van they have at the Omaha store (metro audio dynamics) hit 179.4 dB, thats good enough for me
They dont look that impressive, but that is because the money is put into development, not looks. Do you like JL puts a lot into the looks of a black woofer with a tiny emblem? Why do you think audiobahn has to put flames on their baskets? Because they are for looks, not performance. The company started with 2 guys building them in their garage. They have a small outfit now of about 25 people that make all of their products. However, they are well worth the money, trust me. I suggested teh SSi series because it will still be good for the street use with normal listening, different from the SSX where the 12 has 2000 watts rms handling, 15 has 2500 rms. Those will knock your fillings out. These are a well known company, at least on the stereo scene, and show me another company that will give you a 3 year warranty...

Now MMATT was a pretty main stream manufacturer 5-10 years ago before so many of the current brands were around. They had basic looking woofers and amps. They have had a subwoofer named the jugernaut, had a funny slogan that went with it "Please don't touch the jugs
" It was a pretty good woofer for 7 years ago, but nothing held its own compared to the Vega Stroker. They also sold amps that just made amazing power for their size. That had 500 rms and 1000 rms amps 10 years ago in small packages, but i haven't heard anything about them since i was 17, so im not even sure if they are still around.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
i know a guy who wants to sponsor me & a couple friends to do SPL competitions & his main components are MMATT's, Fusion and MA Audio[/b]
Fusion is crap, except for maybe wiring
MMATT are good, even though it appears a lot of people don't know who it is
MA Audio is good to a certain point, but i have never seen a serious competition car using them, just show cars.

I will warn you about competiting, there are a lot of strings attached, so make sure you get the whole story before you sign the line. Typically you have to go to several shows for the store, who know how far away, run stickers of the store/products all over your car, and might even have to do things for them for a couple years. Just be careful before you jump into something.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Don't you mean sponsorship is a contract, and there may be some things in the contract that might not be too palatable?

As with ANY business deal, read all the fine print, and be prepared to deliver on everything in the contract. Sponsorship is straight up business. Whether it's audio competition or racetrack competition, sponsors aren't 'giving' you anything, they are paying for your services in advance. Don't agree to anything you can't or won't deliver.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.