Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with using gas struts to hold the hood open instead of the prop-rod. Redline Tuning sells a kit for the tC. i thought it would be a nice touch, and personally, i think it's a feature that belongs on a car as classy as a tC. the only thing that bothers me is the flimsy looking bracketry, and i'd really like to see two struts, to distribute the load better and not put torsional stress on the hinges and mounting brackets. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
But the hood only uses one prop rod, so why should it need two gas struts?

The Redline is awesome. Everyone should have one. The build quality is very, very good, and fabbing up your own for less money would be a tough task. The brackets are quite robust-- at least 1/8" thick powdercoated steel.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I wouldn't be keen on applying that much force to just one side of the hood if it were mine. I bet it would tweak over time fairly noticeably.

EDIT - Wait a minute, there's only one strut in the picture! I'm still not keen on the idea, but one side only? It has to be a pretty strong strut to do what it does. I remember the hood on my '88 Corsica with a poorly placed prop rod that broke the hood. Not cool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i've always been very cautious of these hood struts. i had them on my '96 golf, and i don't know if it was b/c of the hood struts or b/c of a faulty latch, but my hood came flying up on my on the parkway (luckily i was just gettin' onto the parkway, so i quickly pulled off to the shoulder)

but this was only a week or so after installing the hood struts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
What the hell is everyone talking about? How many hood props come stock on the car? are you telling me that if I left me hood open for two days, I'd come back to find it flopped over on the non-prop side? It's a hood, not a tortilla.

Once the Redline is extended, it's not exerting any force-- it's just keeping the hood from falling closed. Just like the OEM prop does. If you want to pick something to worry about needlessly... well, I guess it's perfect. Not knowing how the prop works-- at all-- seems to be helping you.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Trust me, the hood on an '88 Corisca is a tortilla. Go to the junkyard. Notice in '89 and later years they put the prop rod in the front and made it work on the very front of the hood to minimize flex. You will be hard pressed to find an '88 hood that is NOT broken because of the poor factory design. The same is true of the rear defroster switch...

That said, a gas filled strut puts a CONSTANT force on the hood regardless of position. At full extension (and minimum force) the hood is open. At full compression (and maximum force) the hood is being pushed against the latch. If you release the latches, the hood goes up. Isn't that the whole point? So one side of the hood is under a constant load. Is that a good thing? I have my doubts. However, it does look cooler and weigh more than a simple prop rod.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
It does not put constant force on the hood. The hood exerts constant force on it. If I balance a bowling ball on the tip of my index finger, who it exerting force on who?

The Redline is designed so that you have to lift the hood up about 10-12" before the force of the piston takes over and lifts the hood. Otherwise, you'd have to slam it closed to overcome to holding capacity of the strut. Watch the video on their site. when you release the latch, the hood doesn't go flying open like a springboard. It just sits there. When you lift the hood about a foot, the prop takes over and lifts the hood to full open-- at which point the strut is locked out.

Is a tent post exerting constant force against the peak of the tent? No. It's holding the tent up, as much as the tent is holding the post down. The post is not constantly pushing against the tent. It's just sitting there.

This is basic physics, combined with what appears to be complete ignorance as to the operation of the product. I was trying to answer the initial poster's question with good old empirical evidence. I have a Redline prop. Installed. In my car. It's extremely well made. It weighs about the same as the OEM prop.

But based on all of the "sky is falling mentality" around here, we should all take the struts out of our hatches.. what if they overpressurize, go insane, and eject the hatches off of our cars like escape hatches? Worse still, what if my TRD struts fail, and shoot my car high into the air?

Watch out getting out of bed tomorrow, everybody. The floor has been known to kill people.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks dr isotope. i didn't mean to start a debate over physics, (although your finger puts just as much force on the bowling ball as the ball puts on your finger; and what if the ball wasn't centered?...) i'm just glad to hear someone had success with it. that's all i need

by the by... the strut puts a force on the hood while in motion (a rather large force, judging by the attachment points and the weight of the hood), and that moment may be enough to tweek the hood, or at the very least puts added torsional stress on the hinges and could shorten the life of them. keep in mind, this all occurs only while the hood is in motion. i'm not sure how much stress is on the hinges with the hood closed...

edit:
i don't understand why they can't just use two struts??

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Aug 30 2005, 12:08 AM
It does not put constant force on the hood. The hood exerts constant force on it. If I balance a bowling ball on the tip of my index finger, who it exerting force on who?

The Redline is designed so that you have to lift the hood up about 10-12" before the force of the piston takes over and lifts the hood. Otherwise, you'd have to slam it closed to overcome to holding capacity of the strut. Watch the video on their site. when you release the latch, the hood doesn't go flying open like a springboard. It just sits there. When you lift the hood about a foot, the prop takes over and lifts the hood to full open-- at which point the strut is locked out.

Is a tent post exerting constant force against the peak of the tent? No. It's holding the tent up, as much as the tent is holding the post down. The post is not constantly pushing against the tent. It's just sitting there.

This is basic physics, combined with what appears to be complete ignorance as to the operation of the product. I was trying to answer the initial poster's question with good old empirical evidence. I have a Redline prop. Installed. In my car. It's extremely well made. It weighs about the same as the OEM prop.

But based on all of the "sky is falling mentality" around here, we should all take the struts out of our hatches.. what if they overpressurize, go insane, and eject the hatches off of our cars like escape hatches? Worse still, what if my TRD struts fail, and shoot my car high into the air?

Watch out getting out of bed tomorrow, everybody. The floor has been known to kill people.
Basic physics says equal and opposite forces are required for balance. This means the hood exerts a force less than the strut for the hood to rise at all. If the hood doesn't rise when the latch is released, the force of the hood exceeds the force applied by the strut. It does not mean the strut isn't applying a force, only that the force is insufficient to raise the hood.

Fundamental to basic physics: the tent post exerts a force equal and opposite to the weight of the tent. The floor most certainly exerts an equal and opposite force to the weight upon it (that's why floors have load capacity ratings), and floors have been known to kill occasionally, that's why we wear helmets for certain activities where we might lose our balance and hit the floor hard enough to cause damage or we put padding on the floor so the floor doesn't exert an extreme force should we lose balance and hit it abruptly.

Hatches were designed to have constant force on them. Spring perches on the cars were designed to support the car. The hood was not designed for an automatic opener.

Glad you have this gizmo, and glad it does what you want it to do.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I have it & I love it! I am the person that Redline has quoted on their website. I recommend it to anyone that doesn't have/or want a CF/Fiberglass Hood. It works well for "showing" your vehicle... which is one reason why I got it.
If you're worried about the "stress".... I don't see a problem with it at all. You can also call them & ask if the xB kit would work....it has 2 rods. My friend did it but is using a tC kit on his xB. They are easy to work with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.