Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the other day (Thursday or Friday), I was driving to work and noticed a little flyer on my windshield. When I got to work, I grabbed it and saw it was just a weight loss ad. There was a hand written number on the back, and I just figured it was the number of a local agent for the company or something. When I got to my office, I threw it away, because A) I have better stuff to spend money on, and B) I weigh like 150... Ha!

Anyway, when me and Sarah are getting in the car this morning, she said, "I don't mean to ruin your day, but..." and I walked over to the passenger side of the car, and saw 2 scratches about 4 inches long each. I looked at the windshield and didn't see any note or any thing, and said "Damn! They didn't even leave a note!" Then, about halfway to work, I remembered the number from before, but I had thrown it away, and the janitors empty everybody's trash every night, even if there's just one thing in it...

But eureka! I remembered that just before I threw the note away, I had typed the number in my Google search bar on Firefox to see if something would come up about the weight loss thing! I had been planning on cleaning out my browser cache/history, but I never got around to it, so the number was still here when I got here!

Now, it's just a matter of calling the number and seeing what the person on the other end says...

Edit: I just did a reverse lookup of the number, and found a name and city, so it's got to be an actual person and not a business or something...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey good luck with that.. Its always nice when a person leaves a number after they hit you. Its also nice if the number belongs to someone who saw whatever happened and can give you details.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Jan 30 2006, 09:44 AM
It still might be a weight loss guy...
You might be right... But I'm still skeptical...

I tried calling the guy a bunch today, but it was always busy or I got the answering machine. I finally just left a message and told him to call me back. He called about a half hour later and I explained how I found the flyer with his number on it, and I was wondering if it was in reference to the scratches on my car.

He said no and then paused for a bit. Then he said that he runs his own business selling this weight loss product. Then, he paused for a bit longer, and blurted out "I wouldn't have scratched your car!" I said, "Ok... I didn't say that you did... That's what I'm trying to figure out... Did you happen to see any scratches on my car when you were putting the flyer on it, because I'm not sure when it happened?" Then he explained how he puts out thousands of them over 5 cities, and he wouldn't be able to remember my car.

The guy seemed kind of flustered the entire time... Seems suspicious to me... Why would someone hand write their home number on thousands of flyers?

I'm going to ask around to some of my neighbors and see if anybody else remembers getting a flyer, or if they've seen anything. And I think I'm going to have Sarah call this guy and ask about weight loss stuff... See if he slips up or something.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

I finally got around to going to the body shop to see about getting an estimate done. The guy said that he would have to basically paint the whole side from the door back to blend the paint so it matched. He said that if he only had to paint the door, it would just be about $350, but since he'd have to paint the back quarter panel as well and remove the glass from the back seat window, it would end up being $750.

I asked if there was something I could do to just make it look decent until I could get it done. He said something about color wax. He said he hadn't heard good or bad, but that I might try it. He also said that from the looks of it, it was definitely an intentional scratch. He said that he's seen enough scratches from kids just running through parking lots that he recognizes it when he sees it. So, I called my insurance company to see if there was any kind of special vandalism coverage in my policy. She said that there isn't, but if I file a police report, it would be covered under comprehensive, and my deductible would only be $250, which is good, because I think my deductible is normally $500. She also said that it wouldn't change my monthly payments at all.

So, I guess I'll go down to the police station and fill out a report tomorrow, and hopefully have the scratches gone in a couple of weeks when I get paid again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.