Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first, im new to the forum and i dont own a tc...yet.
i did a search for compression and didnt find much so heres the question.
is there a way to increase the compression in the 2.4.
ive seen older engines decked or the heads shaved slightly to increase the compression. is it possible with the tc? ive also heard of using a thinner head gasket to acheive the same effect. or are there other pistons available.
nothing drastic that would require race fuel, just a bump for some extra ponies,
and still look stock. if theres a way id like to know, im dont plan on ever boosting
it or using nitrous, i want a reliable daily driver, though i know once you start modding things will start breaking. i think it would be more worth my time to try that route, less weight, less heat, less parts, more space etc..
thanks in advance for any info.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yes and no. Toyco uses an angled squish pad on the head that mates with an angled area on the piston. If you mill the head much, you might have a problem, but in all likelihood there is some amount you can mill it without problems. Even then, it won't yield a big bump in compression. You'd be better off to set the deck height right first, then see how much room is left to play with. Most Japanese engines have more deck height than they need by a significant margin. It's pretty rare to see one straight from the factory at blueprint height.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks for the info, these may be a new-b questions but what is a squish pad, just the area on the head that forms the combustion chamber? i have never worked on the 2.4 and i dont have any available to play with, can anyone tell me how much space there is between the head and piston at tdc? i figure a .5 increase in compression could yeild
around 20 peak hp, but im no engineer, just a guess. also is there anyone porting and polishing the heads for these?
i will be buying my tc in the next few months, originally to be a daily beater i dont have to worry about. but you know how the itch is.
once i get stuck at a light with some idiot trying to beat me from the turning lane, im gonna want the power to keep em from doing so.
thats the fun part with my truck, there arent alot of cars that can beat it out of the hole. thanks again for the interest and the info.

·
Registered
508 Posts
if you look around on tctunerz.com they use to have an article about a replacement head for the tc's. i havent looked for it lately so im not sure if its still there or not. i believe they had it on there for under 600 but it was ported and polished, i believe it had better springs and bigger valves. it might have been decked but again i cant remember its been awhile since ive read it. but it might be worth it to you to find it and read about it if thats what your going for on your car when you get it. hope this can help you.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
tctunerz = bad news... are they still in business?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by greddytc05@Aug 14 2005, 02:36 PM
if you look around on tctunerz.com they use to have an article about a replacement head for the tc's. i havent looked for it lately so im not sure if its still there or not. i believe they had it on there for under 600 but it was ported and polished, i believe it had better springs and bigger valves. it might have been decked but again i cant remember its been awhile since ive read it. but it might be worth it to you to find it and read about it if thats what your going for on your car when you get it. hope this can help you.
You would be lucky to get just springs and valves for $600. If they actually exist, the port work would have to be so minimal as to be just about useless.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks again for the responses. why would the port work have to be minimal? also are there bigger injectors and throttle bodies for this motor? or are the stockers capable of large amounts of power? i guess i should do a search first but i wont feel like typing this up again. thanks again...the f'n new guy

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There's no money left after buying valves and springs to do much. I charge $3k for a Supra turbo head, and $3500 for an NA to turbo head. Good headwork ain't cheap.

The fuel system is returnless. That complicates things just a bit compared to the good ol' days of return systems. There are companies saying they have bigger injectors, but no one says for sure if they work with the OEM rail or if you need injectors and a rail.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, ive decided im not doing anything to the tc except wheels. maybe eyelids or something of the sort, im keeping her stock. ill dump the rest of the money i have into my truck. yeah im still interested in high compression as an option for performance, but gas is expensive, and so are repairs, i can only afford to have one hotrod. im sorry to say it but its true. maybe all show and no go, but thats ok, im in no rush to empty my gas tank. thanks for all the responses you guys have been great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.