Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does the tC run unusually high RPM's when your going like 70-75
when im at 70MPH im runnin like 3100-3200 and 75MPH is 3500RPM's. (And yes i am in fifth gear). My moms honda is a 4 cylinder and its RPMS are lower at that speed. Does anybody else notice this... Please post your RPM's with MPH becuase i think something is wrong with my transmission, ever since i got the car when you put the car into gear its not smooth sometimes, like as if the clutch doesn't open up all the way. like if i was going 10MPH and i want to shift into first it feels like it gets stuck, when on my old eclipse the gears were like butter.
AGAIN my fellow scionists Please post your RPM's with MPH becuase i think something is wrong with my transmission

·
Registered
72 Posts
That sounds right...All depends on how the car is geared. not all 4cyl are the same
My truck turns 2500rpm at 80MPH in 6th but my truck is geared to tall for me I think
but 3100 at like 70-75mph in 5th is fine

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If you are going 10 mph and downshifting into first it isn't supposed to go like butter. Downshifting into first is a bad idea at any speed over 5 mph.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Exactly, why I am reconsidering swapping the final drive ratio, I can run through tight turns in an autocross without downshifting to first!!!!

Rick

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don't downshift into first until I'm pretty much stopped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your RPM's are the same as everyone elses. Thats one bad think about this car. I think it needs a 6 speed.
I always wondered what RPM's people are at when they are going 127 miles an hour.(I read that on another post)

When your down shiffting into first, IN most cars it is not smooth. Like they said before you should not be down shiffting into fist anyway. You will notice that aftert you are stopped when you shift into first it is as smooth as butter. My friends civic is the same way.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
im new, i have a question
when u r stoppin, y do u need 2 downshift?? cant u just leave it in N n when u need 2 move just put it into wateva the suitable gear??
no?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by vtecKiller@Aug 31 2005, 11:18 AM
im new, i have a question
when u r stoppin, y do u need 2 downshift?? cant u just leave it in N n when u need 2 move just put it into wateva the suitable gear??
no?
yea you could do that, that shouldn't be a problem, wouldn't you save the engine more if you didn't downshift at all....becuase when you downshift your using the engine to help you stop.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by scion06@Aug 31 2005, 10:30 AM
Your RPM's are the same as everyone elses. Thats one bad think about this car. I think it needs a 6 speed.
I always wondered what RPM's people are at when they are going 127 miles an hour.(I read that on another post)

When your down shiffting into first, IN most cars it is not smooth. Like they said before you should not be down shiffting into fist anyway. You will notice that aftert you are stopped when you shift into first it is as smooth as butter. My friends civic is the same way.
6speed wouldnt really benifit all that much. not saying anything bad about the car but i think it would have problems pushing it in 6th unless you are driving at a higher rate of speedlike not using it till 80mph. If you had a deeper gear with the 6speed then you are defeating the purpose once again..if you had a taller final drive would solve that...but 3100 isnt really that bad.

·
Registered
271 Posts
well apparently it seems that 3100 RPMs at 70 MPH isn't odd, i just get the feeling like the engine is trying so hard just to get to 70.... Not that i dont like my car, i love it, but i think if the supercharger ever comes out, i will definetly get it, im not a racer so im not throughing in a turbo and doin a bunch of stuff to my engine that is just going to void my warranty.

Another though.....since we do run higher RPMs than say Honda's, do you guys think that will shorten the life of the engine...? even if its just 100 more rpms higher it adds up as far as wear and tear on the walls of the cylinder, I use mobil one fully synthetic by the way....But i dunno, i guess im alittle worried about it...,

by the way that stirs up another question, if you have a supercharger will that lower your RPMs at high speeds?, i think not becuase you would have to gear the car differently im assuming, but if im wrong lemme know, What do you guys think...?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Speed and rpm are determined by gearing, not induction. There will be no change at all, except your foot won't be in the throttle as hard.

·
Registered
271 Posts
as i thought thanks lo bux

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by superchargedscion@Sep 1 2005, 01:06 PM
Another though.....since we do run higher RPMs than say Honda's, do you guys think that will shorten the life of the engine...?
TC doesn't run higher RPMs than many Honda.s

My old 96 prelude revs at 3k rpm going 60MPH. 4k rpm while going 80mph. I think 130MPH was somewhere around 5k or 6k RPM. I don't remember, RPM was really your last concern when you are going 130MPH down the interstate.

Many preludes and integras are pretty much 4k rpm while going 80mph. So no the tC is not reving higher than hondas (unless you mean some civics).

Those ludes and integras run great even after many years of full throttle by their owners. Usually it's not the engine that fails first in a car. It's hard to find engines blowing or going nuts in normal or semi aggressive street driving.

If you race, then that's a completely different story. Even race cars fail left and right anyway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i started a post about this a week ago, and i think that those rmps are too high for that speed as well, but most people seemed to think that it wasn't high. oh well, toyota won't change the tc to a 6 speed for just me!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by viva_la_tc@Sep 2 2005, 12:17 PM
oh well, toyota won't change the tc to a 6 speed for just me!
It really isn't high for a 4cylinder. Of course it can rev lower, but you will loose acceleration. High rev or not is all in the eye of the holder. Get a V8 and you can cruise at 2k RPM going 80+ MPH.

And changing it to 6spd will make us ask the following question: which tranny/gear box should tC use? The celica 6spd? In a 17k car? I think the Avensis already had a 5spd before being made into a tC. So if toyota is to completely change the set up, it will take more than just swapping a new 6spd gear box.

·
Registered
2007 Scion TC 2.4L automatic
25 Posts
I know this is a very old thread. My 2007 Scion TC 2.4L auto 2AZ-FE when on the highway at 60mph, 65mph, 75mph the rpms don't drop or shift down to 2,000 rpms.

60mph to 75mph the rpms feels as if it's in 4th gear.

I've tried to take it to 80mph/90mph the rpm needle is at the 6,000 & stays there. Doesn't drop to 2,000 or 3,000 rpms.

There's a mechanical whirring as if it's only allowed to stay in 4th gear.

Could it be a sensor? Cam position sensors or is that normal for a 2007 Scion TC 2.4L auto?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts