Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my 200th or so mile, I just noticed today this high-pitched sound, squeal doesn't exactly describe it, more like... a very very very small, quiet blow off valve sound when I give the car gas right after shifting into gear. I thought it might be from the intake, some kind of sound from the vacume created when you give the car gas... Anyone heard this? I only noticed when the windows were down...

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Check to make sure it happens in every gear near the same RPM (around half throttle for me, I think). I have a feeling what you're hearing is the normal sound we all do.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Pretty sure what he described is what I've been hearing. I've contemplating asking about it, but figured I wouldn't be able to explain the sound too much. I'd like to know what it is. Maybe lo bux can drop in and help us out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Should be nothing to worry about .I hear the same noise when i step on the gas.I would say its one of the VVT-i's features

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally posted by Wolo@Mar 31 2005, 07:56 PM
Does it sound sorta like a turbo spinning up?
Yes it does, but much more faint....or is it fainter? Meh, English is crazy

EDIT: Nevermind, then. Thanks for the link, Wolo. The Search function is my friend...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've never heard either of my tCs sound like a turbo spinning up. I'm very familiar with that sound.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess that explains it. Nothing to worry about then. Sweet.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Mar 31 2005, 07:15 PM
I've never heard either of my tCs sound like a turbo spinning up. I'm very familiar with that sound.
YOu must not be familiar with what it sounds like in video games. It sounds very similar to our tC's when you mash the gas

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Ask D what a spooling turbo sounds like, he knows now. Nothing on a tC sounds like it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not so much the sound of a turbo spinning up as a turbo blowing off... like the sound you would imagine a turbo the size of a film canister making, high pitched whoosh/?????... I'm going with the sound being part of the intake.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i'm pretty sure our exhuast have a valve that opens during heavy acceleration to release the excess fumes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
thats what the whistling sound is from

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55@Mar 31 2005, 10:21 PM
YOu must not be familiar with what it sounds like in video games. It sounds very similar to our tC's when you mash the gas
You're right. Why would I play with a video game Supra when I have one in the garage?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Apr 1 2005, 09:53 AM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 1 2005, 09:53 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Zygote55
@Mar 31 2005, 10:21 PM
YOu must not be familiar with what it sounds like in video games.  It sounds very similar to our tC's when you mash the gas
You're right. Why would I play with a video game Supra when I have one in the garage?[/b]
Haha, awsome... they set them up, you knock 'em down...

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
In answer to your question.

I know what sound you are thinking about. I had a friend check for cops and what not when it happens. It happens don't worry about it. I think it has something to do with gear mesh (the action of the gear teeth interacting with each other), which should cause a vibration which is the fundamental component of sound.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the sounds is getting more frequent, almost every time i shift/accelerate now, not louder, just more frequent... I am going to ask the dealer about it, but you might be right moriarty, it might be the gears just meshing... who knows.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
You're sure it's not the same high-pitched "pssssht" sound that every tC makes during acceleration?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.