Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a HID kit system, with Toyota ballasts and Phillips 4300K bulbs, but it wasn't a retrofit, and I'm just wondering, whether (for those who did just a plug and play kit) you had to aim your headlights? My output right now is better than regular halogens, but the ground is not as "white" as I see in other cars with HID kits. Is it just because they're not projectors, or is it because I need to aim my headlights? If I have to aim them, does anyone know how to aim the headlights? Thanks.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
you have 4300K bulbs thats why. I have 8000K HIDs and the ground is really light up. If it was plug and play there is no need to aim the headlight at all. the only reason like i said b4 it isnt as bright as you see on other cars is because you have 4300K HID's.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
the number of K got nothin to do with the brightness.. ???
8000k means it would shows a more blueish color
4300k look just like the normal yellowish color
8000k+ gives a purpleish color
6000k - 8000k is my range, not too blue not too white

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hellrazor,
Just curious where did you get the Toyota HID system? and how much? are you happy with it? I have been looking at various HID kits and can't decide what to go with. I would really like to stay OEM if possible so a Toyota kit would be great if it doesn't cost too much. 4300k is what all factory HID lights are BMW, Acura, Mercedes, etc. the higher K systems are just for show and actually degrade light output but I guess you get more blue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NatetC:
I actually really like the system. It doesn't look like the cheezy blue ones that I see on the road. I also dont think I will grab the attention of the police w/ them either. I got mine from ebay. They're pretty good. I mean, obviously the retrofits are a lot better, but I'm not gonna mess with my housing myself, and cant afford to get it done by someone else. the output is actually pretty good. the reason that its not as good as other hid systems (like the oem ones), is that i dont have projectors and also, b/c the housing is not meant to output this kind of bulb. when the bulb first lights up, it has a blue tint, but then turns compeletely white. i've been told that after a couple months, the temperature rating of the bulbs go to like 4600K, so the color of the light will look more like what you see on the is300's. It will have some blue in it. anways, overall, i really like the system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have actually been looking at this kit on Ebay
The good thing I notice about it is that it actually has specific bulbs for projector style headlights and reflector headlights. It does not take a projector headlight to make a good beam patter, just a well designed headlight. You might notice the new Toyota Avalons, and Siennas have factory HID systems and use reflector style headlights. Although, many of the new BMWs, Audis, and others have gone to projectors, my Acura TL has reflectors and the lights are awesome on it. Just my 2 cents. Glad you are happy with your kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats the kit i got. He's a real good seller. i had some problems w/ one of my bulbs, and he let me do an exchange no charge. its a good kit. by the way, the avalons and prius that have reflectors, those are specially designed for the hid system, unlike the tc. so their beam pattern is gonna still be better than the tc. anyways, if u get that kit, i think you'll be happy with it. i haven't been flashed by anyone yet, so i dont think i'm blinding people.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Check out Oznium's HID Kit

Plug & Play kit - I ordered it, myself. Should be here soon.

I saw someone this past weekend with it, and it looked great. I got 8000k's so we'll see how bright it is.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i think if your just looking for a crystal white look you should have went with the 6000k, which is what i did, i dont have the retrofits either but the work fine and definatly an improvement compared to halogens, 8000k is leaning towards more of a blueish color, and no i didn't have to aim my headlights, they were fine just the way they came

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been looking at that kit for a very long time. I didnt know if it had to be professionally installed or it can be installed like plug&play kits. The issue regarding your kit not being white is that the bulbs must be broken in. I think it takes like 100hrs before they start looking like the ones that you see on other cars. I want this kit bad but I want a 5000k color. This one is more expensive at $300 shipped than the mc culloch kit i had my eye on for $260 shipped.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
If it's a drop in kit, you can do it yourself for free. A couple guys that helped me out on mine said it was a snap... after seeing them do it (they just plugged in a couple wires), I said "... I could have done that easy!"

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Plugged into the stockers. No cutting of anything involved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i dont recommend plugging into the stock sockets because you can melt the wires. the ballasts use a great deal of voltage to ignite the bulbs, and so they may melt the wiring. I hooked up my ballasts to power up from the battery.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I don't have a problem with it, and neither has a lot of people i've talked to. The bulbs themselves are only 35W.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.