Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody roughly know about how much a set of HID's will cost with an 8,000k with installation and everything

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so im assuming that the install will be about 150.... 450 for HID's..... I can buy them now but i think i will save up alil more before i do that otherwise my wallet is going to feel a tad too light for now...lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dude, cause it looks nice as hell!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by FrostbytetC@Apr 18 2005, 09:29 PM
http://www.blinglights.com has a kit for the tC for $300. If I did HID thats where i'd buy it.
sweet I might have to go pick up an HID kit from them as soon as I get a little more money, love how they look and I would like some extra light on the road

·
Registered
130 Posts
you're better off going with the lower kelvin temperature due to the fact that the higher temps(8000-12000) are made by no-name japanese companies and produce a more ineffective light pattern the higher you go. That's why companies like hella and phillips who actually provide car manufacturers with hid systems range between 6,000-8,000 kelvin) and you know that you're getting a quality product.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought that 8000k is the highest output you can get before the light starts to get distorted, if 6000k is the highest output then i will probaly get that then....

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by FrostbytetC@Apr 20 2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, they say as the temps go up, the more color variations and off white colors you get. I'd rather go with a 6k or even 4k kit because its more true white. Thats when it looks good. And you'll probably avoid more hassles with law enforcement that way too...
If you look up color temperature (I know this from photography), the higher the temperature, the more the light is biased towards blue frequencies. Lower temperatures are biased towards red/infra-red frequencies. Lots of blue is the last thing you need for good night vision, however, blue light's higher energy makes things look "better" in the dark.

Incandescent tungsten photographic lights are about 3400K. Daylight at noon (maximum blue intensity) is 5500K. Personally, I would opt for the 4300K, it's a good balance between retaining good night vision and still seeing well.

Here's a good explanation of the concept with some examples. Photographers are more familiar with this kind of explanation.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have another question about HID's, Im not sure how familiar you guys are with this but..., i tinited my headlight out, so i have tint on my headlight.... with the heat of the HID's will that effect the tint that is on the headlight in some way?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Haha i think its kind of funny that you tinted your headlights, and want Hids to make it brighter. Take off the tint and im sure you would be happy!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, yea it does seem kind of stupid now that you mention it, i didn't think of it like that, the reason i did that was becuase my car is black sand pearl and my goal with the car is to make everything black on the outside, so i blacked out the tailights and the headlights, but on the headlight i used a very light tint, just so the headlights looked smoked. As far as the brightness with the tint...its not really effected that much. The reason i want HID's is yes for the brightness but more for the look, i think it looks good on a car

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so does anybody know if it will effect the tint becuase of the temperature?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess not since it's been almost a month...lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
HID Lights actually burn on a lower wattage like 35 watts as apposed to the halogens that burn at 55 watts or even higher like mine 80 watts(which is extremely risky from what everyone's been telling me. So the benefit of Xenon is that it uses less energy and thus is much cooler in temperature. My lights are 8000k halogens and they look identical to my friends audi projector HIDs head on. The difference is his shine like ten times further down the road. I beleive this is due to the fact that projectors can be pointed higher due to their sharp cut off point. Anyway I can't afford HID right now and I don't think i'd buy it without a projector kit, But after trying out many xenon look halogens, I've finally found one I'm satisfied with(too bad their 80watts which probably accounts for their awsome brightness). Hope it doesn't fry my wires before I can afford HIDs

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.