Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you guys, I just registered to these forums, but i've been reading them for awhile, your passion and enthusiasm for Scions have inspired me to spring for a Flint Mica Scion TC with one problem..my parents won't let me spring for a MT..before you call me a spoiled brat for not appreciating the fact that they are buying it for me please keep this in mind:
I've been saving up for a year to buy the car. I will be paying for the monthly payment, insurance, and gas. They are lending me the down payment money but that's it and I plan to pay them back too.
I've looked at the two transmissions thoroughly, and I've seen the advantages of both. Living close to the bay.. I realize that downshifting and upshifting constantly will be a pain in the ass, but I really want the control that a manual transmission affords me.
So I'm asking you guys to help me out. Please. Things to keep in mind:
-I haven't driven an MT before, so they are worried even though I've promised that I would practice ALOT

- They are worried chiefly about my safety and as such I would like to show them through statistics and experience that manual transmissions arent a death trap if driven properly.

-My dad doesn't really care he's just worried about whether or not it will be convenient. He drove a stick most of his life. It's my mom, who has never driven a stick before that is worried.

I'm dropping by the dealership tommorow and the decisions got to be finalized by then! Please help me convince them! Or convince me that AT is better..
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Bomberman!
While I do understand that you gain more control in a manual transmission..I get the feeling that MT gives more control to the car isn't going to impress them. Can anyone else give me a more detailed explanation? I've tried to explain to them..but well sometimes they need to hear it from some1 else..you know..

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
If not for me having a manual transmission, I probably would have a totalled tC. I believe this because it has allowed me to accelerate out of the ways of wrecks and provided me with additional braking (engine braking) that you just can't get with automagics. And they aren't a death trap, where did she get the belief that they are?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply!
Well probably because all the ricers and irresponsible teen drivers out there give MTs a bad name.. I cannot seem to impress upon her that im not going to race it and that I'm just looking for a little extra entertainment and control when driving my car under -regular- circumstances. Her argument is "its more convenient and all you need it for is point a to point b, whats the point of getting a manual and wasting all that extra concentration on clutching out and shifting?"

That was a good example though, please keep the advice coming guys, appreciate it..

·
Registered
895 Posts
Explain to your parents that Manual is cheaper then auto. I would not say that the manual offers a SC, and auto does not. They might not like that.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I never drove a manual until I bought the TC. I had to drive the car from Jasper to Terre Haute, IN. That is a two hour drive. I went by myself. Lets just say it was a interesting ride home.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Where did you hear that you can't get a supercharger on an automatic transmission?

·
Registered
895 Posts
TRDUSA.com

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
They're working on an adapter kit for it...

Anyway... The type of transmission you get is your choice... Manual allows for more control, but if you're in a city/metro area with a lot of traffic, it can be a lot more of a pain in the rear than you will want to deal with.

·
Registered
895 Posts
It can be annoying in down town Chicago or any other big city. But, most people are not in these situations a lot of the time. Go for the manual.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Small little coupes are just a bore if not for the MT.

I never felt that upshifting or downshifting is being a problem driving in heavy traffic in NYC. BUT that's just me.

If it's a problem for you then it is something to consider. It's really a difficult choice unless you already made up your mind before buying, which I did

·
Registered
380 Posts
Get a manual. I got one. I never drove manual before the tC, so i learned on the car and practiced on it. But you gotta start somewhere right? as for living in the bay area, i'd be a little nervous only because of all those damn hills. I'm afraid of rolling back and hitting the car behind me. up to you. but since it is going to be YOUR CAR and you are PAYING yourself and PAYING YOUR PARENTS BACK, you should GET WHAT YOU WANT.

that was my reasoning. they understood

·
Registered
895 Posts
I went to the bay last summer. Those heals are a bit##. Up and down up and down. I like the atmosphere, but damn. I could not stand a manual in that town. I would roll into somebody.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Streaker@Oct 21 2005, 06:55 PM
i'd be a little nervous only because of all those damn hills. I'm afraid of rolling back and hitting the car behind me
Use the hand brake.

Seriously, a MT can be handy in those hills if you know what you are doing because it prevents the car from flying down the hill even if you keep your foot off the brake; the engine will keep the car curising at a reasonable speed going down hills. It will be fun uphill, too.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yeah...I saw that thread now. You should get a MT if that's what you want. Don't let your mom's fear of not being able to drive it prevent it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, I’ve gotten an update on the status of the car. So we went to the dealership today, they are genuinely interested in purchasing the car. We got the deposit form and everything. My dad asked how much a manual transmission cost..but my mom just said no, flatly, hes not getting an MT. Basically she’s got me by the balls because she is cosigning for the car and theres nothing I can do w/o her and my dads approval. My sister was also there chiming in about how it would be stupid to get a MT on a new car because you’ll eff up the clutch. There is a delicate balance here. Too much complaint from me will cause me to lose the car completely, but I think that with a little bit of debate I can get a manual. I need your help on what I should present to my mother, because so far only my dad agrees on the Manual.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
One.) Manual costs less.
Two.) A new car is the best time to get a maual because you learn to drive it on a warranted clutch.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.