Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeking semi-professional counsel here, rather than listen to the morons who want to sell me stuff.

I understand what intakes do- put air into the engine (duh), but beyond that, as far as non-stock goes, I don't understand much.

Short ram and cold air... from the pictures I've seen, cold air intakes put the filter/opening somewhere in front of the engine so the incoming air is cool, which I suppose is better for the engine? But if that's true, what's with the short ram intakes? I've seen the Weapon*R and zolitz's custom one (props for the DIY!) and it looks like it doesn't get any cold air, being near the engine. What's the advantage to short ram?

I want to 'hook up' my car without doing useless stuff, or to get something that's just going to wind up making a lot of stupid noise. Like everyone else, I want performance gains, not ricey sound.

The people on this board are great, so thanks in advance!

-Alan

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Without getting into complicated aerodynamics, short can be better under the right circumstances. That's why some prefer a short intake stack. Ram is a misnomer in this case, ram refers to an opening that builds pressure as vehicle speed increases. None of the intakes being sold today are ram intakes.

The CAIs are literally Cold Air Intakes. The premise is cold air makes more power than hot air, and for naturally aspirated engines this is true. The problem is most manufacturers have already figured this out (duh!) and provide cold air with the stock setup. The biggest difference between the OEM intake and the aftermarket ones is the filter style.

One other small potential issue. There is a charcoal filter in the OEM air cleaner cap for evaporative emissions control. I wouldn't want to try to pass smog in California without one in place.

·
Registered
542 Posts
the aftermarket air intakes generally have a metal tube connecting the filter to the engine which is supposed to be better than the rubber hose that most cars come stock with. the metal tube isnt supposed to collapse under air pressure. at least something like that.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Surely you jest. What a marketing ploy!

Metal conducts heat far better than rubber. If collapsing is an issue (and it's not), and cold air is an issue (and it's also not), then there's only one suitable material: carbon fiber!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wonder why nobody will make a CAI out of plastic or ABS? It just seems to me that fabrication of the metal tubes only adds to the cost. Plastic is so much cheaper, lighter, and easier to make parts out of. As far as performance goes, I would also think that a plastic tube would weigh less too.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Supras have ABS intercooler piping from the factory. It just looks too much like the piece you are removing so your brain won't feel the same kick in the ass-o-meter when you put on a polymer tube unless it's carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
WOOT i got plastic pipes just isnt kool, you are right lo bux.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.