Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just want to say this is my fav tc forum on the internet. I'm a new tC owner, indigo ink, damn that color looks sexy
. I got a few simple (I think) questions about this wonderful new car of mine.

Here goes:

I bought myself a pedistal spoiler but since I blew the last of my money on this car and this spoiler I cannot afford the 90 dollars per hour toyota of westbury new york were charging me, and said it would take 2-3 hours (I'd rather buy new tires). So my question is where can i buy some sealant to protect the car when I drill the holes for the spoiler, install kit says its made by 3m and the guys at toyota were clueless. I thought they were supposed to install them?

2nd question. My car is a auto and the knob feels cheap (yes, i know its a cheap car) and I would like to replace it and I noticed that the obx knobs from the toyota dealer would fit but again, I asked the guys who worked there and they didnt know if any other aftermarket knobs would fit the automatic stick. Its similar to my dads acura's knob but his wont twist off like mine.

3rd question. What are the speaker sizes in this car. I have looked everywhere, searched every forum and no one could supply a answer. 5 1/4, 6 1/2. My brain is starting to hurt

thank you in advance to all who help a guy out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cheap?, if i wanted cheap i woulda bought a dawoo, or a kia.- Welcome though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok let me rephrase that. 17g for this quality car is awesome (Cheap price). I felt they cheaped out in a few places. For me the knob feels cheap compared to the steering wheel, so I want to buy a leather wrapped one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This is definitely the place to talk about the tC with very cool people. I agree that the shift knob is pretty cheap feeling with the car but it is nice that it just unscrews so you can replace it. If you're looking for an aftermarket knob other than OBX I'd say find out the bolt size and thread and see what's compatible... I'm sure MOMO makes something that will fit.

As for speakers, it looks like everyone is putting 6 1/2s into their cars. It's definitely worth replacing the rears however I think the fronts are pretty decent for stock speakers. I'm still impressed with the sound from the car. Check out Alpman's thread about making an enclosure for the rear speakers - he's got amazing knowledge with car audio.

For the spoiler... did you buy the mounting kit with the spoiler? It seems like a relatively easy install that only should take about an hour. Find a garage somewhere and just bang it out. There shouldn't be a need for any sealant or anything. Definitley take some pics when you're done and post 'em up on here. I'm still on the line between spoilers and seeing more pics of the pedestal may sway me! Good luck with your car and happy modding!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. The stereo in this car sounds pretty good compared to my 02 vw passats stereo. But of course I want more! Nothing, and I mean nothing pisses me off more than buttons to turn the volume up and down on a car stereo. This is my brothers fav way of volume tunage.

And yes I did buy the install kit and all it came with was a template, booklet, and 2 gas struts. In the booklet though It mentions after you drill the holes to clean it with some 3m solvent then put on some 3m sealent. I'm going to go to every car part store, body shop and toyota dealer in new york tomorrow morning just to find this stuff. Yes I am a noobie, no i never moded cars before and I do realize I might mess up my car but my brother who is a chevy mechanic is gonna help me out.

As for the pedistal wing, I saw it on a black tc and that sold me, makes it look remiencent of a celica in the back, just beefier. Its a big wing but not too big, just right for me. Its going to be even more fun when I put it on and debadge the car and have kids ask me yo, what bmw is that. I already got that question 2 times since i got the car 2 days ago. Its strange, nobody ever noticed me in my family hauler vw passat. Feels good!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have the ground effect and the pedistal spoiler on my tc. Black cherry. It looks good. I will post some picks as soon as I find the battery charger for my digital camera.
check out the audio forum on the site. It should fill you in on all the speaker needs.
congrats

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome to the site, lmao @ the $19.95 floor mats......that's the way to go, sure beats the $125 that toyota charges....Guess I'll be goin to Target when I get mine, lol......Whatever u do..don't go to the dealer in Hempstead...they don't know #### about the car either.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, those Toytoa floor mats are pretty nice. But with my budget, I can't justify their price. If you go to Costco, they've got an entire set for $19.95. FOUR cents cheaper! The set contains two large front mats and two small rear mats, all grey rubber, which IMO goes quite nicely with the interior

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The target mats i bought are just perfect for the car size wise. It has even a pad where you rest your right foot, I really liked that for 19.99. The color is almost spot on at night you cant even tell, they are just a little more jet black not a big change. I want the scion mats and I'm going to buy them from toyotaparts4you.com when I'm done with my other more important mods, just cause I like my official parts
. I get to keep the nice look of carpet in the winter without having to bitch about my friends ruining them with snow, sleet and salt. I hate rubber mats.

Repo, yea I went there and everyone I talked to had blank looks on their face and didnt know ANYTHING about ANYTHING. I wonder if they knew they were selling cars? I went to all the queens scion dealers but they were backed up for like at least a month for the car I wanted. Then I went to westbury, the second I walked on the lot they had the car I wanted and I bought it that day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You SHOULD use sealant on the holes that you drill in the trunk to mount the spoiler, othewise the exposed metal around the holes can rust even though the holes are covered by the spoiler!!!

The sealant you are looking for is just basic 3m silicone - you can get it at any home improvement store (i.e. home depot, lowes, etc) ... there's many different types/colors of silicone... each tube will have a designation on what applications it works best on... look for a silicone that's made for metal - basic white color is fine - you'll probably have to buy a caulking gun with it as well (to get the silicone out of the tube) - the guns are about $3.00.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.