Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my story,

This is something that I have already seen the dealer about but havent seen/heard too much about it on the boards. I have noticed the past month or two that everyonce in a while inbetween shifts (going from first to send and second to third mainly), that, when under normal driving (meaning shifting between 2,500k and 3,500k rpms), the transmission seems to hesitate when going from one gear to another. You can also hear a noticeable "chunk-chunk" sound.

I had the local dealer get their top tech do a ride along with me (where the tech drives the car with you in the passenger), and he could replicate what the car was doing and he said "thats a new on on me". Well, after taking it in the other day after the ride along the head service manager told me that the same tech drove two different 06's and both of them did that. Also, that they called Toyota to see what they knew about it and Toyota claims it as "normal operating conditions", and that they won't allow the dealer to spend any money on trying to fix it.

Has anyone else noticed this? To me it doesn't seem "normal". My guess is is that there aren't enough cars in the field that have this problem or enough have been reported yet for them to come out with an actual TSB. Of the four cars I have owned all have been manuals and none of them have even done that, even my last car which was purchased brand new also.

Any thoughts?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Mine became much more noticeable after installing the TRD short shifter. But they are right, they all do it. I suspect is has a lot to do with the big counterweight they put on the gearbox selector to improve shifter feel.

In any case, I suspect "they all do it" is correct.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
shift faster... thats what i do, and it doesn't seem to hesitate

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, a counter weight of some sort sounds right. Thats about what it feels like. To me though it just doens't seem "normal"......ah well, nothing else I can I guess..

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I'm a total 5-speed noob, and all I can notice is clutch chatter if I let it out too fast. Lance, mind showing this "hesitation" issue to me when you are in ATL?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Aug 18 2005, 10:06 AM
I'm a total 5-speed noob, and all I can notice is clutch chatter if I let it out too fast. Lance, mind showing this "hesitation" issue to me when you are in ATL?
For me, like I said it doesnt do it all the time, but when it does, its noticable. All of my cars hvae been 5spds and none of them have ever done this.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Aug 18 2005, 07:06 AM
yeah that happens to mine too that maybe what they are talking about, hopefully that is and hopefully that is the case cause it sounds odd to me

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by prehensile@Aug 18 2005, 10:34 PM
been drivin a stick 23 years and this one makes me look like I just learned. The drive by wire must be part of it but it's definitely not smooth.
Put in a Fidanza flywheel and you'll be back to your old tricks in no time. It's the BEST thing I've done to improve shifting in the car.

BTW, learned to drive stick in the barnyard at age 6 on a tractor. That was 39 years ago.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Aug 18 2005, 07:06 AM
No problem, but it's a LOT better with the Fidanza.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. I was going to mention it at my next oil change. It doesn't do it when I drive more aggressively, maybe I should just always drive aggressively

Put in a Fidanza flywheel and you'll be back to your old tricks in no time. It's the BEST thing I've done to improve shifting in the car.[/b]
So you like that flywheel. Now I really want one.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No. Engagement is even easier than stock, and it doesn't show any signs of wanting to stall.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
awesome how much would one of these be installed at per se the dealer, of course I am not having it done there but ya know, and where could I pick one up for a fair price.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Titan gave us a killer deal on the group buy. Install is going to be in the $350 to $400 range. We'll be shooting pics (maybe vid) of an install next weekend. It's not simple, but it's not impossible.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry to repost, but I either have the same or a related problem. It doesn't seem to happen while accelerating quickly with no traffic ahead, but in traffic, shifting can be difficult. Sorry for long post.
okay, I don't mean to ramble, but I've had the car for a year now and while I've gotten used to the way the car drives, I'm still not too happy with the shifting. I think this problem is most directly related to the drive by wire and potentiometer(?) on the accelerator.

EG. If you apply a slight amount of pressure to the gas pedal you get no response. And if you blip the pedal, your tachometer hesitates before the rpms climb.

I've noticed that while I'm driving occasionally I shift, I feel like I'm applying pressure to the gas pedal, but I look at the tach and its still falling!!! I start to try to slowly apply pressure but the rpms still don't rise. I finally have to really step on the gas to the the rpms up high enough and basically jump into gear. One way I've found to counteract this is to match revs to the cars speed by blipping the throttle up to about 3000 (depending what gear I'm in) then letting out the clutch. But I know this causes excess wear on the engine/tranny/clutch.

It just seems like the pedal isn't responding to slight pressure--its so hard to slowly open the throttle in this car! In first, I can either launch the car, tires spinning, or I can slowly bounce the car forward till I hit 2nd. Its nearly impossible get going smoothly.

ANy ideas?

·
Registered
958 Posts
maybe you have to break the car in? i wrote in another post that the clutch seemed long, and i've gotten some responses.. i'm a noob as well, so i can't repeat what they've said, but they said after you break the car in, it'll be better..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.