Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. today i was driving one of my friends and my other friend pulled next to me and she wanted to race. so i thought ok once wont hurt. The sad part is my car is brand new. I have like 170 milez on it. i rev'd to 6ooo and i let go the gas. is this really bad for ur car during the break in period. what are the long and short terms effectz? thank.. help me out!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ah another automatic car driver. no this isnt gonna kill your car its just bad for you transmition. my guess is when youi did this your tires squaked and you whiplashed foreword.if you hit the breaks revving it and hitting high rpm's it just wears our you breaks.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
the manual says to take it easy the first 1000 miles. no idea if you did damage to it, but i would think that toyco gives us these instructions for a reason

:
: do you have something against the letter S? :
:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by FrostbytetC@May 15 2005, 12:58 AM
LOL Hamster. No, this shouldnt do any damage to your motor as long as you dont make a habbit out of it, but if you mean you did a neutral drop in an automatic, that is BAD on your tranny!
lol I read that twice and thought you said HOBBIT.

The only thing I can think of that it would damage in a brand new car is increased wear on the clutch unless it's an auto like Frosty said...neutral drops are great for blowing stuff up. Extreme cases could damage axles and thigns like that but I doubt that.

but remember. you take care of the car, and the car will take care of you. 195k miles on my jeep and it still thrashes offroad and on. baby it and you'll be keeping it for the longhaul, or at least get more out of it when you sell/trade.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aite thankz guyz. and no i have nothing against S itz just a habbit of me typing. one more question umm what u mean by neutral drop?

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
placing an automagic in neutral, reving the engine, dropping the transmission into drive. The problem with this is the sudden application of torque to the transmission. Don't make it a "hobbit" and you should be okay.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
also, if you have a 5spd, revving to 6K rpm and dropping the clutch does nothing but wear out your tires and drivetrain. If you are gonna do a fast launch, 3-4K rpms is where you want to be at. Remember, our torque peaks around 4200 rpms if i'm not mistaken, so anything above that on a launch is pretty much useless. And yeah, don't do it for at least the 1st thousand milies, you'll be thanking yourself down the line, if you plan to own this car for a while. It's a bad habit, although I know sometimes it's tough to resist.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i tried launching my 5 sp. once, didn't rev it real high, but still spun the tires. how fast do you let out the clutch?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my car is a auto i didnt do the neutral drop all i did was step on the gas i wont do this again. didnt mean to hurt my car. i hope this didnt do much damage to my car

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
fast enough that u dont excessivly wear out the clutch... but not so fast that you peel out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
some people say beating the #### out of the car doing break in is a good thing.. Either way I wouldn't worry about it, its not like they designed these cars around a perfect driver, they obviously knew there was going to be noobs, and ricers doing the same thing you did. So no worries

·
Registered
40 Posts
how do you rev your car up to 6000 in an auto just by stepping on the gas...you cant. You mean your car rpm hit 6000 when you were racing. thats not too bad. haha

when you launch...you want some tire spinning. not too much but some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.