Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Im new here, and im looking to get a new car. My new car i want to have power windows,door locks, cruise control, a/c, and good gas mileage? not too picky. oh and i need something safe, reliable, and good on insurance. after doing some research i narrowed it down to toyota corolla,matrix,tC, and the mazda3. well i dont like mazda reliability and cheapness of product. and corolla and matrix arent too flashy or hip. The tC seems to have it all STANDARD and its at a bargain price i think. so i guess im asking, do you think the tC is the right car for me? what do you think i will like/dislike about it? is the tC good on insurance?gas? safety? reliability? thank you all for your help!

· Registered
198 Posts
The only thing I hate about the tC is that it only has 2 doors (owned 3 coupes in the past already).

But then tC is a hatchback, that means it has more trunk space then a normal 4 door, and the back seats are just huge and roomy.

Two doors coupe and hatch might be a bit higher on insurance than a typical 4 door car.

· Registered
1,686 Posts
you should go to your local toyota/scion dealer and check out all the cars for your self... theres no better way to decide than to actually sit in each car and get a feel for them... as for safety and insurance.... it is a very safe car... and the insurance is average

· Registered
4,894 Posts
I think we all love our tC's

Go test drive one (if your dealer has one on the lot)

· Registered
866 Posts
The only downside to buying a Scion that I can think of, is waiting for the color/transmission combination you'll end up wanting. Unless you're a Silver-Streak/Auto buff, you'll probably have to wait at least a few weeks...

· Registered
17 Posts
You should really look at the new '06 Civics. The Si model with 197hp isn't out yet but all others are. The Ex has 140hp, 40mpg hwy(auto), 350watt stereo system w/subwoofer, sunroof, side airbags standard, steering wheel audio controls. The car is extremely comfertable, probably the most comfertable car I have sat in out of the ones you mentioned. The new design is very nice too, sharp looking car. Just my 2cents.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by tcforme@Sep 26 2005, 10:06 PM
is the tC good on insurance?gas? safety? reliability?
1. Insurance - it's OK, not great. It recently got an upward adjustment from USAA based on claims experience. I can say it cost way too much to fix a very minor accident with mine.

2. Gas - again, OK, not great. It's not well into the 30's for mileage as the competition is.

3. Safety - The car scores well on crash tests, but I never consider that as safety. The car accelerates reasonably well, stops reasonably well, and corners reasonably well, but I do not trust the original tires in the rain. They slide far too easily. I changed mine out as soon as I realized they were not going to keep me on the road in the wet.

4. Reliability - if you are talking about basic A to B, it's great. If you are picky about interior noises, you may be very disappointed. There are whole threads about interior noises including hatch rattles and sunroof noises, and the mysterious 'sunroof' pop.

Along with driving the competition, I would suggest checking other online forums for them as well to see if they too have common issues or complaints by their owners. Few cars have no issues, and many forums will be biased (as is this one), but if you can read between the lines, you'll figure out which car is best for you.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your help. I've still got some more research to do, and test driving. but so far tC is looking best for me. Im not too picky about rattles, but major annoyances that re-acure aren't for me! Any more reivews would be great, and i will read many more topics on this board. thanks again

· Registered
17 Posts
even my car, over a year, still have some problems here and there. I still love tC. I will do one last check before my warranty is over ( almost 30,000 miles already )
After that, if it still has problems, I will just deal with them. (still have sunroof problem, little tweak sound from the front body, stuffs like that )

However, I personally still think that tC is a very nice good car ( for this budget ).
It's a car that you can drive around town with no shame at all ^-^

I agree with other comments that you have to test drive every car that you like before making any decision. Remember, you don't want to stuck with a car that you don't feel like love it.

good luck and hope you will be one of us

· Registered
4,894 Posts
I think they worked out a lot of the problems in the '06 models.... I have no complaints so far but I'm only at about 450 miles.

· Registered
957 Posts
I've had my 06 for 2 weeks and I have 600 miles.. no rattles no noise that bothers me.. love the acceleration love the handling.. get lot of compliments from random strangers.. i know shorties wanna ride with me..

· Registered
4,894 Posts
LOL! Yeah me too... sittin at a stoplight I got a "Nice car" from some lady walkin by..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.